Sir Andy Murray

Guest SS RED

• 2 weeks later...

See he's playing his first match back today against Kygrios and looks to be in pretty good shape after such a long lay off. No apparent mobility issues.

Have to say I thought he might be finished, but maybe he's got a few years left after all.

Or maybe Federer and Nadal have just let him borrow some juice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Announced he will retire at Wimbledon officially.

His hip is still fucked, so doesn't know if he'll make it that far. I don't think he'll make it through the first round against Bautista Agut... and then it's game over.

It's been absolute pleasure following his career! The first grand slam at Flushing Meadows, the absolute highlight for me! Before Murray, if someone had told me a Scotsman would win a grand slam tennis event, I'd have laughed! The greatest Scottish sportsman bar none IMO.

• Former World No. 1 (41 weeks, not long shy of a year before he got injured)
  • 3 x Grand Slam winner
  • 2 x Olympic Gold singles
  • 1 x Davis Cup (where he almost single-handedly dragged UK to the title)
Just a pity he was cut down by this injury at his peak, while world No.1 and dominating.

The Australian Open last year wasn't the same without him... I couldn't get over this year, the first I've missed for a while, and absolutely crushed I won't be able to attend what'll probably be his last ever competitive match.

Really, really saddened by his press conference this morning. I think all fans of his had feared this was coming but were desperately hoping it wouldn't.

Have loved following his career and i'm absolutely thrilled that his career has been during my lifetime. From all those lost slam finals, to his US Open win and subsequent Wimbledon win, to his 2nd Olympic gold and Davis Cup win, he's wrung everything from his talent.

On one hand it's great he competed against Djokovic, Nadal and Federer but on the other hand, without those 3, he's probably on at least double the number of slams, not to mention the number of Masters 1000 titles he'd have. Amazing achievements in the most ridiculously competitive era of the sport.

Gutted by this, he pretty much said it's game over. Haven't paid much attention to tennis since he's been out and doubt I will again barring the occasional Slam final.

I knew it was over when he made his first attempted comeback, over a year ago, and was still limping around.  Would have taken a miracle for the second operation to allow him to compete back at his highest level.  Margins are too fine at the top level.

Still absolutely gutted to hear him admit it's over.  So many amazing memories.

Really, really saddened by his press conference this morning. I think all fans of his had feared this was coming but were desperately hoping it wouldn't.

Have loved following his career and i'm absolutely thrilled that his career has been during my lifetime. From all those lost slam finals, to his US Open win and subsequent Wimbledon win, to his 2nd Olympic gold and Davis Cup win, he's wrung everything from his talent.

On one hand it's great he competed against Djokovic, Nadal and Federer but on the other hand, without those 3, he's probably on at least double the number of slams, not to mention the number of Masters 1000 titles he'd have. Amazing achievements in the most ridiculously competitive era of the sport.

I mentioned the first grand slam, but the 2 Olympic golds were probably my next favourites.

Destroying Federer on the Wimbledom centre court, just months after losing to him in the final at Wimbledon. Think that first one, gave him the belief to go on and win his first grand slam a few months later. Then the second one, that absolute epic against JMDP where they were both greetin' by the end of the match!

You boys are heavy invested in tennis

I didn't realise people took it so seriously

I played the sport as a kid, from the age of about 5 - I started out playing short tennis, with foam balls and plastic bats!  I made the West of Scotland team when I was a kid - was probably the highlight of my sporting career!  :hysterical:   Football in winter, then Tennis in the summer, was always the way for me until I discovered drinking! 

Always loved watching the game - didn't think I'd ever seen a Scottish Champion!  Was brilliant while it lasted and has probably given me more enjoyment than any football match.

I played the sport as a kid, from the age of about 5 - I started out playing short tennis, with foam balls and plastic bats!  I made the West of Scotland team when I was a kid - was probably the highlight of my sporting career!  :hysterical:   Football in winter, then Tennis in the summer, was always the way for me until I discovered drinking! 

Always loved watching the game - didn't think I'd ever seen a Scottish Champion!  Was brilliant while it lasted and has probably given me more enjoyment than any football match.

You'd think given that information you'd be able to predict a winner in a game once in a while.