Sir Andy Murray

Guest SS RED

Brown is an entertainer, must be so fucking hard to play against as at times I doubt even he knows what he's trying to do.

Andy looks pretty solid, really needs to get that 1st serve percentage up massively though and the hip is still clearly a worry.

He was certainly very unpredictable yesterday (Brown that is).

What's your summary of Wimbledon so far @@Sonoftherock ?

Any predictions going forward?

Not going to rise to the bait! In fairness it's wide open this year.

Enjoying watching the match between two of my favourite players Gulbis and JDP. Big shock on the cards here... but the bigger shock is that Gulbis has never done anything in his career. Unbelievable talent on his day.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Doubt it based on his mum tweet last night.

What was the tweet - social media is blocked at my work?

The so-called experts seem to think the writing is on the wall for Murray. Got to admit, I feared the worst when I saw he was still limping, during that exhibition match with Federer a few months ago... nothing I've heard since has given me any hope.

It's going to be weird going to the Australia Open this year, without Murray there to watch. :ThumbsDown:

What was the tweet - social media is blocked at my work?

The so-called experts seem to think the writing is on the wall for Murray. Got to admit, I feared the worst when I saw he was still limping, during that exhibition match with Federer a few months ago... nothing I've heard since has given me any hope.

It's going to be weird going to the Australia Open this year, without Murray there to watch. :ThumbsDown:

Here's hoping the so called experts have a bit more knowledge on tennis than you.

Murray has had hip surgery, he is aiming to be back for the grass court season

Very quick decision... but interesting that they didn't take this option in first place. Suggests there may be some truth in the stories that are being touted by various in the media.

Hopefully he can get on the court again, if only for a farewell appearance. Would love to see him again in Melbourne - really going to miss watching him this year.

• Downvote 1

boom

id like to think he has another chapter left still, Federer was doing it for years longer than Murray

but is there an argument to be had that Murray's game, being more about physical aspect means his body takes more of a toll?

Murray's team have always refused to admit what the exact problem is... however, all the speculation is that the injury is a torn labrum. Because this is related to a deeper lying structural issue, there is apparently an extremely high re-lapse rate. The operation will correct the problem, but won't solve the bigger issue and eventually the problem will recur. As you mention, Murrays extremely physical style of play will certainly accelerate this. He'd be pretty much a ticking time bomb...

... if you believe what's written in the papers.

boom

id like to think he has another chapter left still, Federer was doing it for years longer than Murray

but is there an argument to be had that Murray's game, being more about physical aspect means his body takes more of a toll?

I think this is bang on. I can't help thinking that if this is his career ending prematurely, then this is totally down to his desire to be the best and pushing his body beyond it's endurance capabilities.

I'm no tennis expert but Murray seems to have dug his success out of his body rather than engage fine artistry. He has to be applauded for what he achieved in the game but he will never get what he really wanted I feel, which was to be recognised in the same bracket as the best. He's the best from the UK, no doubt, by a considerable margin but all that sacrifice and cold baths and punishing schedules have caught up with him. Awesome discipline and mental toughness but not enough physical endurance. Done well for a wee laddie from Dunblane, driven hard by that monster mother of a woman but a morose thrawn stubborn Scot who's time may well be up. The dog died.

I think this is bang on. I can't help thinking that if this is his career ending prematurely, then this is totally down to his desire to be the best and pushing his body beyond it's endurance capabilities.

I'm no tennis expert but Murray seems to have dug his success out of his body rather than engage fine artistry. He has to be applauded for what he achieved in the game but he will never get what he really wanted I feel, which was to be recognised in the same bracket as the best. He's the best from the UK, no doubt, by a considerable margin but all that sacrifice and cold baths and punishing schedules have caught up with him. Awesome discipline and mental toughness but not enough physical endurance. Done well for a wee laddie from Dunblane, driven hard by that monster mother of a woman but a morose thrawn stubborn Scot who's time may well be up. The dog died.

Massive disservice and couldn't be more wrong. Murray is one of the most gifted technicians in the game. I'm obviously biased, but I think he's one of the best to players to watch. He has all the shots, but has never had great power from his ground strokes (I believe at one tournament, Serena Williams had a faster average forehand). You see this better when you watch him in person from a court side perspective. Particularly when you watch him again a lower ranked opponent. While they are just battering the ball, Murray is all about variation in speed and angle - building points, rather than trying to end them quickly with massive ground strokes (This is probably part of the problem...). He is absolutely one of the games artists.

When he broke through and started beating top players, he was still a spindly teenager. Obviously he recognised that to start competing regularly at the highest level, he was going to need to make some upgrades physically.

There is also his defense. In his pursuit to be become the best, he became so fit and so fast, and allied with his determination, he would chase down balls that other players would leave.

So why is he nowhere near the level of the best?

Not arguing here as you know more than me but his desire can't be beaten. Is it a case that he was just a weed who got more out of his body than it had to give?

He's definitely one of the best players of his generation. To claim he's "nowhere near" that is just bizarre.

To do what he has done, in an era featuring arguably the 3 best players in history is incredible. Sure he'll look back on some of the slam finals he lost (8 - all vs either Federer or Djokovic) and think that even if he'd just won another couple, he'd be so much more satisfied. However, he's a wonderful player and certainly one of the best of his generation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not arguing here as you know more than me but his desire can't be beaten. Is it a case that he was just a weed who got more out of his body than it had to give?

He was near the best. He wasn't as good as Federer, Nadal or Djokovic, but still managed to compete with them and beat them regularly. He has achieved everything in the game during that period: Grand Slams, World Number 1 ranking, Davis Cup, Olympic Gold.

The aforementioned three players are in the conversation for the greatest of all time. Their list of honours dictates this. As Parklife mentioned, Murray will be remembered as one of the best of his generation.

I don't really understand what you are getting at with your final point... think all the top players attempt to get every last drop out of their bodies. That's where elite sport is at these days.

Think it was round about the 2008 US Open, where Murray made the final, that he really worked on improving physique. Think he realised that to climb the rankings and take the final step against guys like Djokovic and Federer, he'd need to become stronger, fitter and more durable. You can see from the picture below, that there was quite a transformation. Shortly after this, Murray would break into the Worlds top 4, where he would remain for the next 10 years until this hip injury struck.

andy-murray-roger-federer_3181121.jpg?20

Murray is nowhere near the best 3 is he? Their record of achievement is way ahead of him.

I'm just asking why, in your more qualified opinion?

Surely having undergone hip surgery, he has even less chance to bridge the gap.

He certainly had the desire and work ethic and you say he had all the shots.

Murray is nowhere near the best 3 is he? Their record of achievement is way ahead of him.

I'm just asking why, in your more qualified opinion?

Surely having undergone hip surgery, he has even less chance to bridge the gap.

He certainly had the desire and work ethic and you say he had all the shots.

Federer, Djokovic & Nadal are just better than him in my opinion. Sometimes you have accept there are others, who are better, out there. It's very fine margins at that level.

There is always that argument about Murray being up against it, playing in the current era, with 3 players who, in terms of honours won, have a legitimate claim to be the GOAT... the merits of this argument will be debated forever IMO!

In terms of bridging the gap, I think Nadal and Federer are entering their swansong (they can't go on forever)... Djokovic has really suffered with injury over the past 12 months too. Although I think Murrays days of competing for majors are over now...

However, I don't believe the new generation will dominate the game for 15-odd years, the same way that the departing players have...

Good. We agree on this then. He's quite clearly not as good as the top 3 despite his exuberant uber fans and the BBC and all the rest of them claiming he's some kind of God, like they tried to do with Henman before he inevitably let them down. The boy done incredibly well and then the canine perished.

Good. We agree on this then. He's quite clearly not as good as the top 3 despite his exuberant uber fans and the BBC and all the rest of them claiming he's some kind of God, like they tried to do with Henman before he inevitably let them down. The boy done incredibly well and then the canine perished.

He was number one in the world the last time he played a competitive match.

He's not had as great a career as the three greatest players in history, that's correct. So if your barometer of successful or great is being one of the best three ever, then you have pretty uniquely high standards.

The fact you go on to reference and liken the attitude towards him to that of Tim Henman shows, to me, that you don't follow tennis and don't actually comprehend just how incredible Murray is and has been. No offence.

^^^ djok and nasal aren't in the top three PL min.

you must be, what, 16 years or age; 17 tops?

The boy is ALWAYS looking for opportunities for confrontation Bloots. EVERY time I say black, he says white. He's one of the mutants I completely ignore now. He twisted the context of my words to try and say na na na na na and look at him, a self-proclaiming expert in everything. He goes jogging too which kinda tells us everything we need to know. Zero debating integrity. A boy with issues.