Testimonial For Mackie

The two biggest points for me. The minimum I expect from any Aberdeen player is 100% effort and that is what you get from Mackie. You take issue with him not being up to the standard required at Aberdeen, then you surely take issue with the managers who have offered him the new deals that have kept him here. I still can't believe he got that last deal for as long as he did, but he did, and I understand fully why he would accept it, I'd have done it to, to continue playing for my boyhood heroes.

f**k me, I am sure we must have a whole heap of people on here that would think that they'd just reject that contract, they don't want to hinder their club. Ridiculous...

I just can't help but think that we have a hell a lot more issues to deal with rather than whether Mackie should be playing for us. He is here for at least 1 more year, if fit he is an good SPL player (more so away from home) and has shown he can get us 10 odd goals a season on occasions.

If Vernon can get 15 goals along side him, then that would be a great partnership.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can criticise Mackie's ability, but his dedication to AFC can't be called into question.

We missed his commitment last season. In a team full of disinterested wage thieves, we missed Mackie's commitment big time.

i still can't believe what I saw on the field last season.... guys just idling around the field doing the bare minimum, just waiting for their contracts to expire and doing absolutely sweet f**k all for the money they were picking up.

After watching what passed for Aberdeen players the last couple of seasons, Mackie's going to more or less get a free ride as far as I'm concerned.

Others not giving a f**k in previous seasons doesn't mean Mackie is all of a sudden good enough, or that endeavour should be mutually exclusive from ability.

One of the main problems at AFC these days is that rather than competition for places and "may the best man win", it's a case of being less sh*te than the other guy and "well he was worse than you, so you're in the team"

"At least Mackie tries, unlike Maguire"

"He can't be worse than Diamond"

"At least you know what you're getting with Young"

Then you see all these cuddly quotes in the press from various AFC managers about how nice a guy and how much running so and so will do, without any mention of ability at any point.

Standards at our club are shockingly low.

But you have got to start somewhere. You need people who know the club in order to build for the future. Mackie is actually a decent character. He shows our younger players the right attitude. If he is a positive influence on Fyvie, Jack, Robertson etc and helps keep them on track, then he more than satisfies his inclusion in the squad. He isn't as bad as people make out.

But you have got to start somewhere

Aye...and actually being able to play football would be a good start.

a testimonial is about a players commitment to a club for a ten year period

Commitment?

What?

He's had an easy ride here for over 10 years. What the f**k is committed about that?

And don't any fuxker come away with the 'he could have went to United pish.'

He clearly didn't go there as he knew he'd get found out.

That coupled with the fact that he'd struggle with the spelling of jute and jam never f**king mind journalism.

Mackie getting a testimonal I have no issue. I do have an issue with the fact he has got one against such a big draw when he's done nothing in his career to deserve it.

Simpson was a stalwart and a legend, for more deserving of a team of this standard. Let McLeish bring his Aston Villa side north for Mackie. That man has made enough money out of Aberdeen Football Club in the last ten years.

Good luck to him and the fans who support him, I wont be there, life and football is expensive enough without giving more to a player who I dont rate nor think has EVER been good enough. That is my opinion and I'm welcome and entitled to it.

[quote name='Roberto' timestamp='1308410207' post='574499'

The phrase I used was: when players like Mackie receive a testimonial, you know what lows the club has sunk too.

Absolutely.

Y'know...some hoor posted on my FB wall today that someone had taken my seat in the RDR. Think I've had that seat for around 15 years.

Sort of read it at the same time as I was reading this f**kin thread.

My reaction?

Could not give a f**k.

Thought...I'll just pay at the gate...but...of it turns out as has been suggested...that f**king ball bag Mackie will start the season as a first pick striker then I just won't ducking go. End of.

Sure...the lame of mind among you may say...good riddance...who needs fans like that anyway?

I'll tell you who does. AFC does. Big style.

35 years of 99.9% home match attendance suggests as much.

Why don't we try and go for players who happen to be hard working and can also play a bit of football, or at least have the potential to?

I hold no grudges against Mackie personally and I'd love for him to prove me wrong (been saying this for 10 years now FFS!) but he's symptomatic of the low standards we set ourselves nowadays.

I'd actually argue that persisting with someone as poor as Mackie means the cancerous element still drags us down, not that Mackie is cancerous but because we've had such dickheads playing for us in recent years folk seem to look at Mackie with rose tinted specs on.

Mackie isn't the problem mate, and I'd argue that he never was. I am not his biggest fan either, but we as fans have got so negative over the last 3 years, that I think we are now part of the problem. We need Brown to unearth a few gems and our youngsters to come on to drag us all out of the depression that we find ourselves in. Mackie isn't going anywhere for a season at least, and as I said he isn't as bad as people on here make out.

Absolutely.

Y'know...some hoor posted on my FB wall today that someone had taken my seat in the RDR. Think I've had that seat for around 15 years.

Sort of read it at the same time as I was reading this f**kin thread.

My reaction?

Could not give a f**k.

Thought...I'll just pay at the gate...but...of it turns out as has been suggested...that f**king ball bag Mackie will start the season as a first pick striker then I just won't ducking go. End of.

Sure...the lame of mind among you may say...good riddance...who needs fans like that anyway?

I'll tell you who does. AFC does. Big style.

35 years of 99.9% home match attendance suggests as much.

And why is the man a "f**king ball bag"? Do you know him personally? But going by that, will you be turning up next season if Paton is first pick? or any other striker for that matter?

None of us know how the partnership between him and Vernon will be. Give them a chance. Not even back to pre-season and we have moron fans saying they wont be setting foot in todders because a certain player will play.

Tell me this. Why not go to todders this season due to Mackie? Surely you wouldnt of been attending for the past 10 years? your logic is severly flawed. And you say aberdeen needs fans like you? No chance. Your the type that give the club a bad vibe. The type that restricts players coming here. You and your horrible attitude will in no way be missed.

Running about like a headless chicken chasing lost causes, forgetting he's meant to be in the box scoring goals don't mean he deserves some kind of credit. He's a striker (i think) and his strike rate is shocking. That's only part of his many faults and god knows how he's survived this long. Possibly because the other mince around him aint much better.

I don't think many folk begrudge him a wage, but a run out against a top Spanish side when our club legends got zero is what really pisses me off.

I'd actually argue that persisting with someone as poor as Mackie means the cancerous element still drags us down, not that Mackie is cancerous but because we've had such dickheads playing for us in recent years folk seem to look at Mackie with rose tinted specs on.

I agree with this but for that, I don't blame Mackie one bit, I blame a couple of managers who persisted with him and gave him a new deal. McGhee basically came in and said he was sh*te, but did that stop Mackie trying? No. Was McGhee wrong? Probably not in what he said, but probably didn't gain anything by saying it, given the contract Mackie is on.

On Roberto's point below, I don't give a toss if he supports Aberdeen or not. He just gives 100% each and every game that he gets put on in. The fact that is not good enough a lot of the time is something to take issue with those that select him.

HH strikes again with one of his stances. He won't be going because an element of the cost will go to a player who he doesn't rate. Do you ever go to away games, as all that money goes to a club you probably don't really want to give money to. Again, I don't really care why we are playing Villareal, but I will probably go along as it isn't all that often we get a decent football team coming to Pittodrie.

Others not giving a f**k in previous seasons doesn't mean Mackie is all of a sudden good enough, or that endeavour should be mutually exclusive from ability.

I've never suggested Mackie was good enough for the Aberdeen team I'd expect us to have, but the fact is that he's an able bottom 6 SPL striker, and Aberdeen is a bottom 6 SPL team, ergo he is, by that measure, perfectly suitable for AFC regardless of my own personal opinions on what we should be shooting for.

One of the main problems at AFC these days is that rather than competition for places and "may the best man win", it's a case of being less sh*te than the other guy and "well he was worse than you, so you're in the team"

Correct.

"At least Mackie tries, unlike Maguire"

"He can't be worse than Diamond"

"At least you know what you're getting with Young"

Then you see all these cuddly quotes in the press from various AFC managers about how nice a guy and how much running so and so will do, without any mention of ability at any point.

Standards at our club are shockingly low.

See, here's the thing, When Mackie broke through he had serious pace. His runs at defences could cause total panic, and if he got a head start on a defensive player he was away. I, and others, thought that once he got his control and composure sorted out he would be a tremendous player. And he would have been... unfortunately he never did sort out his control and composure, and it became apparent that here was a player who could run really fast and not a whole lot else. One on one's invariably ended up anywhere but in the net, and any ball he had to think about was a wasted ball.

Clearly he wasn't going to be a great player at all.

But then it also became apparent that Aberdeen was being run like a bottom 6 club, and that ANY kind of investment in the team was a pipedream, and we began signing guys who weren't even bottom 6 SPL quality... guys that even St mirren and Falkirk had superior players to... so clearly there would be a point where AFC's quality dipped enough that Mackie WAS Aberdeen quality.

We've reached that point now.

Would I like better players?

Sure, we all would.

Will we get better players... probably not.

So we can be snobby about this and look down at Mackie's lack of real ability and say, "Not good enough" but in actual fact yes he is.

He at least applies himself, and in a team with no talent and no application Mackie actually stands out.

Depressing stuff, but two consecutive relegation zone finishes don't lie.

And why is the man a "f**king ball bag"? Do you know him personally? But going by that, will you be turning up next season if Paton is first pick? or any other striker for that matter?

None of us know how the partnership between him and Vernon will be. Give them a chance. Not even back to pre-season and we have moron fans saying they wont be setting foot in todders because a certain player will play.

Tell me this. Why not go to todders this season due to Mackie? Surely you wouldnt of been attending for the past 10 years? your logic is severly flawed. And you say aberdeen needs fans like you? No chance. Your the type that give the club a bad vibe. The type that restricts players coming here. You and your horrible attitude will in no way be missed.

Ha ha.

Flawed logic?

It's BECAUSE I've had 10 years of watching his laughable attempts at playing football that I cannot tolerate any more.

You dimwit.

Oh, and thanks for confirming the 'lame mind' angle.

Ball bag.

Although not a huge fan of Mackie he has done his time . Thats is not a fault of him, only the previous managers and board who felt he was worthy of his place in the squad.

At the end of the day he is red through and through. We are very quick to criticise anyone who joins us that has not supported Aberdeen since they were in nappies. Mackie has, and to quote others "would run through a brick wall for the club". Does this mean he is the solution? No probably not, but he has been at the club while the rest of us have watched the $hit3 on display and no doubt been hurting with the rest of us.

Would far rather have Mackie on board than the pi$$ poor excuse for a striker Paton who shows no respect for the club and clearly never has done. At the end of the day who has scored a more important goal for us in the last 10 years? (Dnipro)

Aye...and actually being able to play football would be a good start.

Commitment?

What?

He's had an easy ride here for over 10 years. What the f**k is committed about that?

And don't any fuxker come away with the 'he could have went to United pish.'

He clearly didn't go there as he knew he'd get found out.

That coupled with the fact that he'd struggle with the spelling of jute and jam never f**king mind journalism.

What time did you get out of bed.

Commitment is one thing you could never accuse Mackie of lacking...200% every time he puts on a red shirt.

If someone asked me to play for the team I love, I certainly would not say no! Darren is no different!

Darren has been picked by every manager that's been at the club during the past decade, and has given his best!

He certainly is a great footballer, but we have hardly had many of those of late.

He is a don, has played for ten years, and deserves a testimonial. Looking forward to it :)