I finished 'Railway Man' by Eric Lomax recently. A fantastic & vivid account of life as a PoW under the Japanese kosh. I've never been choked up reading a book before but there was a passage in there that did it for me.

Well worth your time reading "The Forgotten Highlander" by Alistair Urquhart if you enjoyed Lomax's account.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell, good medieval combat book about an archer fighting on Henry V's army during the campaign that culminates in The Battle Of Agincourt. Decent read, old Bernie is always reliable for historical war books, Sharpe is and always will be his best but he's done The American Civil War, King Arthur, and Alfred The Great's campaigns against the Vikings. The latter series of books, also known as the "Saxon Stories" are getting filmed by the BBC for release some time through the year, gonna be called "The Last Kingdom" and is intended as a Thrones - beater.

• 1 month later...

Have been doing The Horus Heresy books, for you sci fi fans, if ye ken of the 40k universe, the first 4 books are required reading if you want to find out just why the setting is a crap sack universe.

Am currently reading Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly, complete madness, basically Indy Jones reimagined as if it's in the style of COD Modern Warfare. Brilliant reading.

• 4 weeks later...

I can never be bothered to read the last part of any book I've read recently.

I find myself becoming annoyed about 3/4 of the way through a book, whereupon I tend to find the ending inevitable, like I've read it before, and I then find it tedious to read on.

Is there something wrong with me?

I can never be bothered to read the last part of any book I've read recently.

I find myself becoming annoyed about 3/4 of the way through a book, whereupon I tend to find the ending inevitable, like I've read it before, and I then find it tedious to read on.

Is there something wrong with me?

lack of focus? perhaps the onset of male menopause?

do you generally read the same kind of books all the time? sticking to mysteries? or romantic novels? :sheepdance: or sci fi? or somesuch?

maybe you need to expand your range of experiences, so that they don't seem so familiar?

if you always go to the same places, do the same things -- and always read the same genre of books -- it's bound to happen.

my advice is to change things up a bit, Tup. :wave: