• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sven hassel - wheels of terror

not really, dan brown - inferno. very clunky, Robert Langdon is constantly making mental notes to buy things like monocles and compasses. he'll see some boy using a thing in a cool fashion and thinks i'll have a bit of that.

he phones one of his old friends when he's on the run. and the boy thinks he's fibbing about all the stuff that's going on. i'm not sure if there is a timeline in his books but surely Langdon's pal must know he's into causing death and destruction across Europe.

Recently read:

Crime and punishment - dostoyevsky

1984 & animal farm - orwell

The psychopath test - some prick

All fairly decent, crime and punishment may not be for everyone but I effing loved it. (Although getting used to all the Russian names confused me a bit)

Away to start catcher in the rye, see what the fuss is about.

Went through a period of reading books by Russian authors.

Either something gets lost in translation, or Russians are just about the most boring fuckers on planet Earth.

A typical excerpt goes along the lines of...

Vasha looked out the window at the snow falling from dismal skies. Turning, he looked at Vassily and nodded. "It snows." he said. Vassily looked up from the small cockroach he had been scrutinising and smiled. "Come and have some soup, Vasha Paskilikov. It has a potato in it today." "A Potato!" exclaimed Vasha, "I have not seen potato since Yuri Magelikov went to fight the fascists and left his potato behind!" Vassily roared with laughter. "It is same potato!" he exclaimed.

Just avoid Russian books is all I'm saying.

I have just started a book called "Hawk Quest", by Robert Lyndon, its set around the time of Norman-era britain (where the books starts). Only a short way in, but I like the characters already and can tell I will enjoy the book. Got it in St Margarets Hospice for dirt cheap.

Next in the que is "Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton. I had started it before, in Budapest, but had to abandon it as I would roll in drunk most nights due to how scandalously cheap Hungarian booze is. Only read two chapters but it was very good. I also have those Dons related books still to read, which I got at a book fair recently.

Other recommendations:

"The Man who was Thursday" - Chesterton again.

And the "Eagles" series of books by Simon Scarrow, following the careers of NCOs in a Roman Legion.

They are pissed-up on Vodka when they write, same as any other activity of theirs!

One book I read, Mig Pilot: The escape of Lt... someoneorthorichski, is the true sory of a guy who grows up poor in Russia, like everyone else not in the inner circle, dreams of becoming a pilot, actually BECOMES a pilot, then is posted to the Far East flying the brand new Mig25 Foxbat. He soon realises that most of the jet fuel designated for the MiGs is being consumed by the ground crews and base workers... and most nights they're all pished out of their skulls. One night he waits till everyone's blootered, gets in his MiG, and fucks off to Japan.

mig25-japan1_opt.jpg

I have just started a book called "Hawk Quest", by Robert Lyndon, its set around the time of Norman-era britain (where the books starts). Only a short way in, but I like the characters already and can tell I will enjoy the book. Got it in St Margarets Hospice for dirt cheap.

Next in the que is "Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton. I had started it before, in Budapest, but had to abandon it as I would roll in drunk most nights due to how scandalously cheap Hungarian booze is. Only read two chapters but it was very good. I also have those Dons related books still to read, which I got at a book fair recently.

Other recommendations:

"The Man who was Thursday" - Chesterton again.

And the "Eagles" series of books by Simon Scarrow, following the careers of NCOs in a Roman Legion.

The Battle that Stopped Rome is pretty good non-fiction. About the Germanic tribes slaughtering Varus' legions in the Teutoberg forest.

1190398.jpg

Polished off Great Expectations and Lord of the Flies last week. Both good reads, although Great Expectations was a bit dry at times

Started the First Law by Joe Abercrombie. Some fantasy swords and magic type stuff so far... some of my mights haven't stopped going on about it so I'm giving it a go

The Battle that Stopped Rome is pretty good non-fiction. About the Germanic tribes slaughtering Varus' legions in the Teutoberg forest.

Thanks for that, looks a good one - I will seek it out.

The "Eagles" series I mentioned is fiction within real history, like the author is using his characters to teach you the history. There are genuine historical figures present though, like Vespasian. They pretty easy reading, interesting context - Ive read 4 or 5 of them, mostly about the Romans conquering England.

I remember Varus' disaster in the Forest being mentioned in the narrative, I think it would still have been recent unpleasant history for the Romans invading britain.

Thanks for that, looks a good one - I will seek it out.

The "Eagles" series I mentioned is fiction within real history, like the author is using his characters to teach you the history. There are genuine historical figures present though, like Vespasian. They pretty easy reading, interesting context - Ive read 4 or 5 of them, mostly about the Romans conquering England.

I remember Varus' disaster in the Forest being mentioned in the narrative, I think it would still have been recent unpleasant history for the Romans invading britain.

You should check out 'Imperium' and 'Lustrum' by Robert Harris. It's about the rise of Cicero, and brilliant reading. Most things by Robert Harris are quality though.

Love Simon Scarrow stuff aswell