Thanks for that, looks a good one - I will seek it out.

The "Eagles" series I mentioned is fiction within real history, like the author is using his characters to teach you the history. There are genuine historical figures present though, like Vespasian. They pretty easy reading, interesting context - Ive read 4 or 5 of them, mostly about the Romans conquering England.

I remember Varus' disaster in the Forest being mentioned in the narrative, I think it would still have been recent unpleasant history for the Romans invading britain.

I've been reading/listening to the Bernard Cornwell Arthurian and,.. uh.. Alfredian I guess... series'.

Although there's a good 400 to 500 years between the two series', because it's the same author, the same kind of technology in play, the same basic background (migrating/invading Germanic/Scandinavian tribes) it can get somewhat tricky remembering which series your currently reading... and by this point they're kind of merging into one, giant, homogenous story, where King Arthur is fending off waves of Danes, while Alfred is fighting the Anglo Saxons.

Reading the fiction does give you incentive to discover the real history behind what you're reading, though.

It's surprising how little British history is taught to kids in school, really, because I learned pretty much none of this when I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Irvine Welsh's debut novel Trainspotting has been named as Scotland’s favourite book of the last 50 years.

The cult tale of drug addiction in Leith took almost one in 10 votes cast in a poll organised for Book Week Scotland.
In second place was Alasdair Gray’s epic novel Lanark, followed by Ian Rankin’s Rebus novel Black and Blue.
Welsh said he was flattered that his novel, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary, had even made it onto the shortlist of 50 titles.
He said: “I'm obviously flattered just to be on that list of great novels with those amazing writers, especially when I consider some of the brilliant books and my personal favourites that never made it onto this list."
Gray said he was "delighted and astonished" his first novel had pushed bestselling crime writer Ian Rankin into third place.
Readers from around the world were invited to choose their favourite from a list of 50 titles compiled by author and literary critic Stuart Kelly and Scottish Book Trust staff.
More than 8800 book lovers from as far afield as the USA, Ethiopia and South Korea took up the challenge.
Iain Banks, who died of cancer this year, featured twice in the top 10, once for with The Bridge and once for one of his science fiction novels, Excession, published under the name Iain M Banks.
His widow Adele Hartley, whom he married shortly after announcing his terminal illness, said: "Iain was always a huge fan of his fans and I think he'd have been very flattered by their support and delighted to be in such fine company."
Janice Galloway’s novel The Trick is to Keep Breathing, in ninth place, was the most popular novel by a woman.
Mr Kelly said: "Crime, comedy, science fiction, the avant-garde - the public vote has reinforced the diversity of contemporary Scottish writing."
“My sole regret is that we have only one woman on the list - that said, The Trick is to Keep Breathing is indubitably a contemporary classic.
Marc Lambert, chief executive of Scottish Book Trust, said: "This is a fascinating list combining traditional classics with modern greats, with every book an absolute gem.
"Aside from acting as a barometer of Scottish reading tastes, the list has amply fulfilled its purpose of generating an exciting debate and discussion around great Scottish novels.
"Trainspotting is undoubtedly deserving of the top spot. It remains a brilliant read and its publication was a key cultural moment in the history of the Scottish novel."
The ten favourite Scottish novels of the last 50 years:
1. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (833 votes)
2. Lanark by Alasdair Gray (750)
3. Black and Blue by Ian Rankin (591)
4. The Bridge by Iain Banks (496)
5. One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyre (416)
6. Excession by Iain M Banks (330)
7. Morvern Callar by Alan Warner (296)
8. 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith (282)
9. The Trick is to Keep Breathing by Janice Galloway (271)
10. Docherty by William McIlvanney (269)
  • 5 months later...

Finished reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. Nonsensical Guffy flag-waving aside, it's excellent stuff, very violent and in places hilarious as the banter between characters is magic. Also done 1357 and Sharpe's Havoc by the same author. Good old Bernie's usually my go-to guy for a decent historical adventure book, although Simon Scarrow has to be given an honourable mention for his Roman Legion stuff.

Inspired by BBC1 just now, I'm going to revisit Roth.

I found him by accident in the Aberdeen Central Library in the mid 70's. Just a book off the shelf, which led to every one he had written. It never occurred to me to share his work with others. I didn't think many others would get him. To hear Yentob describe him as the world's greatest living writer was at first a sycophantic oddity but on reflection, without many candidates in competition, might be bang on the money.

I think Thomas Keneally for Schindler's Ark and qualifying by being still alive must run anyone close. He hasn't been too prolific apart from that, The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith also good though. Never read Roth, but will bang some out on your recommendation. The last few I've read have been war aviation stories, probably had enough of that genre for a while.

Have you ever read Milan Kundera? Immortality is a beautiful piece of work, The Joke is also good insight into life behind the iron curtain. I'm not usually one for fiction, but Kundera can certainly write.

For anyone who likes Bukowski - I used to read his stuff when a bit younger - I then read John Fante and realised Bukowski was almost a plagiarist. Ask the Dust is great - not often a novel can bring tears to my eyes - the ending of that was special.

If either of you find Bounce a waste of your time, PM me, I'll take it off your hands and buy it from you.

Many others I have still to recommend it to.

Payment will only be made on receipt, once I have established you haven't ripped out one page or spunked on others.

Can't be too careful. Lots of sick cunts about.

If either of you find Bounce a waste of your time, PM me, I'll take it off your hands and buy it from you.

Many others I have still to recommend it to.

Payment will only be made on receipt, once I have established you haven't ripped out one page or spunked on others.

Can't be too careful. Lots of sick cunts about.

I've read more of it now and it just keeps blowing every thought I've had on sportstars out of the water, I always believed in "Natural talent" but now I don't, are you aware of The Dan Plan, rocket?