do you generally read the same kind of books all the time? sticking to mysteries? or romantic novels? :sheepdance: or sci fi? or somesuch?

maybe you need to expand your range of experiences, so that they don't seem so familiar?

if you always go to the same places, do the same things -- and always read the same genre of books -- it's bound to happen.

my advice is to change things up a bit, Tup. :wave:

:laughing:

I'm nothing like that. I read a wide variety of books.

My problem is that it feels as if I've read them before once I get to a certain stage in the book.

do you generally read the same kind of books all the time? sticking to mysteries? or romantic novels? :sheepdance: or sci fi? or somesuch?

maybe you need to expand your range of experiences, so that they don't seem so familiar?

if you always go to the same places, do the same things -- and always read the same genre of books -- it's bound to happen.

my advice is to change things up a bit, Tup. :wave:

I agree Tup, maybe give the Razzle a rest, try a Readers' Wives or a Fiesta.

It's either that, or this has all happened before sometime, and we are stuck in a loop.

It's nothing to do with that either.

It's a serious point. I sometimes feel a real sense of deja-vu in certain situations, even though I could not possibly have done them before.

I may have dreamt it however, and not remembered about it.

Books usually follow the same Three Act formula, so by the time you hit the 'Setback' (James Bond is dangling over a pool of sharks with Lazer attached to their foreheads), you know you're on the verge of the Overcome Obstacle/Resolution phase of the book.

You feel Like you'be read it before because you'be read the exact same formula in almost every book you'be ever read (assuming you read fiction).

If you read bios and informational books you don't get that formulaic blueprint.

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading quite a few works to do with Soviet History recently, including:

Bulgakov- The Master and Margarita

Shalamov- Kolyma Tales

Zamyatin- We

Serge- The Case of Comrade Tulayev

Scott- Behind the Urals

Hindus- Red Bread

Mochulsky- Gulag Boss: A Soviet Memoir

Bogdanov- Red Star

Been reading quite a few works to do with Soviet History recently, including:

Bulgakov- The Master and Margarita

Shalamov- Kolyma Tales

Zamyatin- We

Serge- The Case of Comrade Tulayev

Scott- Behind the Urals

Hindus- Red Bread

Mochulsky- Gulag Boss: A Soviet Memoir

Bogdanov- Red Star

I can recommend to you an -Idiot- if you really like soviet literature.

• 2 weeks later...

22748096.jpg

Just finished this book by Ben Kane.

Its about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, in 9 AD, where the germanic tribes united to spectacularly f*ck the roman army in the ass.

(I never really like it when the invincibles manage to lose - be it the Romans, the British, or the Imperials out of Star Wars).

its historical fiction so the main events and some characters are real, but other characters and the sub-plots are the authors own.

It was very enjoyable and interesting I give it 8/10.

(I got a good deal on the hardback in tesco - was about £7 - about half the cover price)

Kelt - you may well enjoy this, I remember you mentioning this battle before - and boy you were right, it is a quite amazing story

22748096.jpg

Just finished this book by Ben Kane.

Its about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, in 9 AD, where the germanic tribes united to spectacularly f*ck the roman army in the ass.

(I never really like it when the invincibles manage to lose - be it the Romans, the British, or the Imperials out of Star Wars).

its historical fiction so the main events and some characters are real, but other characters and the sub-plots are the authors own.

It was very enjoyable and interesting I give it 8/10.

(I got a good deal on the hardback in tesco - was about £7 - about half the cover price)

Kelt - you may well enjoy this, I remember you mentioning this battle before - and boy you were right, it is a quite amazing story

The non-fiction, historic book pertaining to Teutoburg is 'The Battle That Stopped Rome'. I last read it a while ago, but strongly recommend it.

The shit the Germans did to the Romans during and after that battle...

41gc8wprWEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Three entire legions, cavalry units, and several Auxiliary Limitanei regiments, not to mention logistics... wiped out.

Germans have always had a knack for war.