Amateur/junior Football

I don't play myself as I'm too old and fat, but I used to take the loon and dug down to Newtonhill and Stonehaven on a Saturday and quite often caught Cammachmore's matches when they were at home. Heard at the weekend that they've folded and won't have a team this year. Quite strange considering they had a very young team!

Any other team's folded this summer? Always quite sad when teams fold because I know the work it takes to keep even an amateur football side running.

What's the amateur game like up there? Down here I hear more and more of teams folding. Indeed I actually brought the curtain down on my own team as the lack of interest from boys meant it was a struggle from week to week to know if we'd even have a team to fulfil our fixture on the Saturday. 19 years I had been involved through playing, coaching , managing and every other job and it just became a losing battle.

Seems like guys have too many other interests these days to be committed.

The standard of football was always decent enough. Premier/Division One amateurs up here is a decent standard and aren't too dissimilar to some of our Junior League sides.

From what I seen, Cammachmore didn't have that great a season last year, but still avoided relegation to Division Two. Can only imagine they folded due to the younger lads losing interest.

I don't play myself as I'm too old and fat, but I used to take the loon and dug down to Newtonhill and Stonehaven on a Saturday and quite often caught Cammachmore's matches when they were at home. Heard at the weekend that they've folded and won't have a team this year. Quite strange considering they had a very young team!

Any other team's folded this summer? Always quite sad when teams fold because I know the work it takes to keep even an amateur football side running.

I heard Fintray have folded which is a bit of a surprise.

I go watch Kintore when there's nae a home game at Pittodrie. Quite enjoy it actually for some weird reason.

The standard of football was always decent enough. Premier/Division One amateurs up here is a decent standard and aren't too dissimilar to some of our Junior League sides.

From what I seen, Cammachmore didn't have that great a season last year, but still avoided relegation to Division Two. Can only imagine they folded due to the younger lads losing interest.

One of my pals played for Cammachmore a few years ago and was always saying how chuffed he was at the number of younger lads who signed that would keep the club going once the older lads pack it in. Quite sad they've folded as they're one of my local(ish) teams.

Does Portlethen still have an amateur side? I can't play football due to having a poppadom knee but I've always thought it was strange that a town the size of Portlethen didn't have an amateur side.

One of my pals played for Cammachmore a few years ago and was always saying how chuffed he was at the number of younger lads who signed that would keep the club going once the older lads pack it in. Quite sad they've folded as they're one of my local(ish) teams.

Does Portlethen still have an amateur side? I can't play football due to having a poppadom knee but I've always thought it was strange that a town the size of Portlethen didn't have an amateur side.

They had a very good, young team a few years ago. From memory, they went all the way up from 3rd to Premier, then folded after relegation...I think.

They did have a very young side with some decent players. Had a big lad upfront who was lightning. Junior sides tapped them up?

Would be interesting to know why they've folded??

Were you a drinker in the KA in the past (not the new one)? Although I know the owner of the new one, stayed just beside me, and was often back to mine for parties along with many after the KA closed. Some nights had been had.

RortFromThePort posted on here a while (RF), funny as fuck. I know many of them who play, don't know if Ged still does but he's a good mate albeit not seen him in a long time.

Nah, from Inverurie originally but moved to Kintore last year.

Aye Rort is one of my good friends, never met someone like him. He's a coach at Kintore now believe it or not :laughing:

Aye, Ged is still there. One of the younger boys has became manager and he's getting help off a boy who done Locos development. Going down on Saturday to see how they got on first game of the season.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Apologies if I have asked this before. Been reading the Scotland v Belgium thread and thinking about how our game is pretty fucked.

What days do amateur leagues play in the areas where you folks are?

In Edinburgh and Lothians there are Saturday and Sunday leagues. However, I see more and more teams falling by the way side. Generally I think that's down to guys having less commitment these days, other things they'd rather be doing. Fair enough with work and family stuff but when you compete against days out, playing golf etc then it's a fucking pain.

I think amateur football should be trialled as a Friday night thing. I think you'd see more commitment and even get back more of the social side after the games. Boys would know they still had the full weekend to do stuff and be more inclined to keep playing.

Moving the amateur game wouldn't solve the problems of why we don't produce too many top class young players anymore, but as a general point we need to be thinking how we fix the game at every level here.

Apologies if I have asked this before. Been reading the Scotland v Belgium thread and thinking about how our game is pretty fucked.

What days do amateur leagues play in the areas where you folks are?

In Edinburgh and Lothians there are Saturday and Sunday leagues. However, I see more and more teams falling by the way side. Generally I think that's down to guys having less commitment these days, other things they'd rather be doing. Fair enough with work and family stuff but when you compete against days out, playing golf etc then it's a fucking pain.

I think amateur football should be trialled as a Friday night thing. I think you'd see more commitment and even get back more of the social side after the games. Boys would know they still had the full weekend to do stuff and be more inclined to keep playing.

Moving the amateur game wouldn't solve the problems of why we don't produce too many top class young players anymore, but as a general point we need to be thinking how we fix the game at every level here.

Nae a bad idea in theory, but the last time I saw amateur fitba at the likes of Hazlehead and Sheddocksley there wisna any floodlights!

• 1 month later...