A Second Nandos

Pot Luck

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ate in that Spur place in Union Square before the pictures last night as I had a 2 for 1 voucher out of the EE.

I wasnae expecting fine dining and wasnae making a night of the meal, we just wanted something half decent and conveniant to eat before the film.

We got exactly what we expected, a fine enough plate of trough, in and out in under 45 minutes. Job done and cost under

No they don't need to adapt. They are looking at bringing in different clientele. What 'proper' restaurants in Aberdeen have recently closed or rumoured to be closing? I don't know of any. Just wondering.

I had a lovely meal at Fusion a good while back now, I don't think it had been open that long, maybe 6 months. The manager came over and spoke to us so I asked him how business was doing being a new restaurant trying to get established. He told me that they had spent hardly anything on advertising yet they had been stowed out the door. He attributed it to word of mouth. As far as I'm aware it is still a successful business.

I just remembered a restaurant that closed down - Yatai. Now that was fantastic when they moved to the centre of town. When they moved back to beside the Forum they totally changed their menu and it was sh*t. And it closed down.

No idea what replying to tut. He said "Or it may mean these 'proper restaurants' go out of business due to everyone eating in these shitholes". If businesses are struggling maybe their current business model/strategy whatever you want to call it isn't working.

I don't even know why I'm arguing cos I don't really give a f**k if someone wants to eat at Fusion or Nandos.

Or it may mean these 'proper restaurants' go out of business due to everyone eating in these shitholes. :dontknow:

Honestly though, I cannot believe folk would rather eat the plastic chain food in Union Square than go to Cafe 52 or Musa which are only about 100 yards walk away and infinitely better quality.

The UK and US are the only places I've been that accept this sort of pig swill as food so readily. Yeh there are fast food chains in Europe but nowhere near to the same extent as here and a lot of them are still serving freshly prepared, somewhat nutritious food.

We ate in that Spur place in Union Square before the pictures last night as I had a 2 for 1 voucher out of the EE.

I wasnae expecting fine dining and wasnae making a night of the meal, we just wanted something half decent and conveniant to eat before the film.

We got exactly what we expected, a fine enough plate of trough, in and out in under 45 minutes. Job done and cost under

The UK and US are the only places I've been that accept this sort of pig swill as food so readily. Yeh there are fast food chains in Europe but nowhere near to the same extent as here and a lot of them are still serving freshly prepared, somewhat nutritious food.

Where you been? Even in Olomouc there was a Mcds :laughing:

Exactly, because you're not comparing like with like. Union Square restaurants serve a very good purpose, quick food that fills you up.

Not comparing like for like, no but I'll offer up this. I came out of there last night thinking 'f**k me, that was aright for under £20' and I've came out of Fusion thinking 'f**k me what a waste of money that was, over £100 and I'm still hungry'.

I do like decent dining, but I really do not like that fusion place, too fancy dan and pretentious for my liking.

Look at me im rich and I can eat in expensive restraunts and mock people on less income.

I have to agree to an extent with you there. I get the impression some folk on here have more money than sense tbh.

Dont think its about that.

I know its not in town but if you go to the Cove Bay Hotel with the family you'll get better quality food at less cost.

I wont eat in any of the places in the centres and i wouldnt eat down the beach either. I'm not spending 15-20 quid a head on veggies that arrived pre portioned in freezer bags, steak pie that comes in 2 parts for some spotty fool to stick together, a bit of steak over cooked because its a cook and not a chef, salad thats been sitting in modified environment bags and everything has been dropped off into the freezer to be microwaved, deep fat fried or stuck in an over when I can pay the same for good fresh cooked food.

Nae me, tommo son.

I'm probably the skintest on here.

It disnae hurt to have standards.

I am a student....technically. I have no standards.

I actually really like Chiquitos though. Lovely food. Love a chimichanga are whatever they're called.

Having worked in catering for a reasonably posh company, I can guarantee theres nae much difference when it comes to vegetables/tatties etc in a budget restaraunt than a posh one.

Dont think its about that.

I know its not in town but if you go to the Cove Bay Hotel with the family you'll get better quality food at less cost.

I wont eat in any of the places in the centres and i wouldnt eat down the beach either. I'm not spending 15-20 quid a head on veggies that arrived pre portioned in freezer bags, steak pie that comes in 2 parts for some spotty fool to stick together, a bit of steak over cooked because its a cook and not a chef, salad thats been sitting in modified environment bags and everything has been dropped off into the freezer to be microwaved, deep fat fried or stuck in an over when I can pay the same for good fresh cooked food.

Are you telling me that independent places such as Cove Bay are spending more on their raw materials and selling their products for less in comparison with large multinational organisations?

Are you telling me that independent places such as Cove Bay are spending more on their raw materials and selling their products for less in comparison with large multinational organisations?

No I'm telling you these sh*t in a tray merchants are seriously over pricing the swill they serve up.

I was a chef from the age of 16-22 and I had the misfortune of taking a job in one of these establishments. Everything comes in pre-portioned, a lot of the time the people reheating this sh*t arent even allowed to taste it so they have no idea if its decent or not and the way it comes in and looks before you cover it in sauces is redic.

Its also a lot cheaper to buy in some stewing steak, onions, some flour, eggs, mustard, making your own stock and sticking it together in a massive steak pie than it is to buy it in frozen. It might be a little cheaper buying a pie in tesco than making it yourself but when you are putting stuff together that will serve 15-20 folk then its always cheaper making it yourself.

I love Nando's, best chicken in the whole wide world imo.

You can never have enough Nando's, keep em coming, great food at bargain prices.

Pretty funny reading the food snobs of this world declaring they wouldn't dine in such establishments, how do you know it isn't good if you've never tried it?

No I'm telling you these sh*t in a tray merchants are seriously over pricing the swill they serve up.

I was a chef from the age of 16-22 and I had the misfortune of taking a job in one of these establishments. Everything comes in pre-portioned, a lot of the time the people reheating this sh*t arent even allowed to taste it so they have no idea if its decent or not and the way it comes in and looks before you cover it in sauces is redic.

Its also a lot cheaper to buy in some stewing steak, onions, some flour, eggs, mustard, making your own stock and sticking it together in a massive steak pie than it is to buy it in frozen. It might be a little cheaper buying a pie in tesco than making it yourself but when you are putting stuff together that will serve 15-20 folk then its always cheaper making it yourself.

I would guess that the stewing steak, onions etc are tesco value "pish" and are probably no better quality than the stuff that gets put into Nandos food?

Thought so.

I would guess that the stewing steak, onions etc are tesco value "pish" and are probably no better quality than the stuff that gets put into Nandos food?

Thought so.

Tesco value pish being carrots and onions not the "approved shape".

Better to grow your own anyway like I do. At least you know what you're getting and what it's been fed with.