Coffee

Bluto10

• 8 months later...

Drinking more than four cups of coffee a day can raise the risk of dying from a host of diseases, scientists claim.

Researchers in the US found that death rates from all causes rose by more than half in people aged under 55 who drank more than 28 cups a week.
The apparently harmful effects of heavy coffee consumption were not seen in older people, according to a study published in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
The team led by Steven Blair at the University of South Carolina warned that younger people in particular might want to avoid drinking large amounts of coffee.
Previous studies have found conflicting evidence for the impact of coffee on health, with some suggesting it can raise blood pressure, and alter adrenaline and insulin activity in the body, while others point to beneficial effects on the immune system and cognitive performance.
For the latest study, researchers analysed medical and personal history questionnaires filled out by more than 40,000 people aged 20 to 87 between 1979 and 1998. After a typical follow-up period of 17 years, more than 2,500 participants had died.
The study found that those who drank larger amounts of coffee were more likely to smoke and had less healthy lungs and hearts.
Younger men had a greater risk of death even at lower levels of coffee consumption, but the effect only became significant at around 28 cups per week, where the under 55s had a 56% increase in death from all causes.
The impact of coffee appeared to be more serious on women. Those aged under 55 years old had double the risk of dying from all causes than those who did not drink coffee.
Which constituents of coffee may be to blame for the effects are not fully understood. "The exact mechanism between coffee and mortality still needs clarification. Coffee is high in caffeine, which has the potential to stimulate the release of epinephrine, inhibit insulin activity, and increase blood pressure," said Xuemei Sui, a co-author on the study.
The reason the under 55s are most at risk is also uncertain, but related vices, such as heavy drinking, may play a part. "Heavy coffee consumption behaviour might cluster with other unhealthy behaviours such as sleeping late, and eating a poor diet", adds Sui.
Hajra Siraj, a GP in Chelsea and Westminster, said: "Drinking coffee forms a large part of modern living in our society, so it's easy to lose track of how much we're actually consuming, and this study suggests this could have a greater impact on our health than we may realise."

Coffee is shit. People who drink coffee relentlessly are shit. People who go on about how good coffee is are shit.

Quite like an espresso or double every so often, although usually only when abroad.

sitting on a terrace cafe sipping an espresso and reading le parisienne is one of lifes apex moments.

• 4 months later...

Ever felt you've overstayed your welcome in a cafe, by reading, working or surfing the web while hugging the latte you bought two hours ago? Pay-per-minute cafes could be the answer. Ziferblat, the first UK branch of a Russian chain, has just opened in London (388 Old Street), where "everything is free inside except the time you spend there". The fee: 3p a minute.

Ziferblat means clock face in Russian and German (Zifferblatt). The idea is guests take an alarm clock from the cupboard on arrival and note the time, then keep it with them, before, quite literally, clocking out at the end. There's no minimum time. Guests can also get stuck into the complimentary snacks (biscuits, fruit, vegetables), or prepare their own food in the kitchen; they can help themselves to coffee from the professional machine, or have it made for them. There's even a piano – an idea that could seem brilliant or terrible, depending on who takes the seat.
Ziferblat has opened 10 branches in Russia in the past two years and now wants to take the idea worldwide. With hostels, hotels and cafes around the world often filled with people either working remotely or enjoying some downtime online, the market for expansion is certainly there. The "coffice", we're told, is the way of the future.
Owner Ivan Mitin says during the first month of the UK opening, they have already drawn in some regulars. "Londoners are more prepared for such a concept; they understand the idea instantly. It's funny to see people queueing here to wash their dishes. It's not obligatory, but it's appreciated. They even wash each other's dishes. It's very social. We think of our guests as micro tenants, all sharing the same space."
Eight days into 2014, Time Out has already declared Ziferblat "a contender for best opening of the year". But what do you think? Does the idea appeal? Does £1.80 an hour sound like good value? Would you feel more relaxed, or more under pressure with a clock by your side? Let us know in the comments below.

Bluto when you're next in Aberdeen, I'll get the papers in and you can come round my pad for a nice coffee.

I can provide Gold bars as the biscuit of treat also.

call it a date.

i would suggest some fine chocolate, valrona perhaps, maybe the slightly bitter 70% variety instead.

what beans you baristing these days?

:cool:

Naked and all alone, my own

On the coffee maker, caffe Roma or Lavazza.

Suggestions?

I had to look up Valrhona chocolate, I'll be honest - I'll get some.

lavazza, illy, and a few others locally.

in my last trips to the UK i picked up some ousebourn coffee co and some from london, canna mind the name.

do love a good fresh brew, like.

so much more civilised than fizzy drinks (bit minky).

Coffee is shit. People who drink coffee relentlessly are shit. People who go on about how good coffee is are shit.

Quite like an espresso or double every so often, although usually only when abroad.

Used to be like this but now a convert and loving every minute of it. A coffee in the morning makes the day go by much better.

Owner Ivan Mitin says during the first month of the UK opening, they have already drawn in some regulars. "Londoners are more prepared for such a concept; they understand the idea instantly. It's funny to see people queueing here to wash their dishes. It's not obligatory, but it's appreciated. They even wash each other's dishes. It's very social. We think of our guests as micro tenants, all sharing the same space."

You just know it's going to full of fannies(not the good kind either).