St Johnstone Job

Knighto (or whichever other poster you are? :itch-chin: ) why has he not been snapped up by other clubs?

Other than Killie & County who were both desperate to avoid relegation & could ONLY risk giving him a short term deal & Killie gave him funds they really couldn't afford for the likes of Seve & the loan of Bebo.

Nobody wants JC cos he NEEDS a big budget to achieve anything near average & nobody can afford a big budget now like Aberdeen gave him (compared to our rivals during his top six run :trophy: ). He leaves his clubs in the shite cos he goes for safe options of overpaid journey man pros when he could get better value IF he knew where or how to look.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knighto (or whichever other poster you are? :itch-chin: ) why has he not been snapped up by other clubs?

Other than Killie & County who were both desperate to avoid relegation & could ONLY risk giving him a short term deal & Killie gave him funds they really couldn't afford for the likes of Seve & the loan of Bebo.

Nobody wants JC cos he NEEDS a big budget to achieve anything near average & nobody can afford a big budget now like Aberdeen gave him (compared to our rivals during his top six run :trophy: ). He leaves his clubs in the shite cos he goes for safe options of overpaid journey man pros when he could get better value IF he knew where or how to look.

I know mate - I hear you, that's the camp I said i was on but I do know find myself wondering what would have happened if we had not sacked Jimmy.

Anyway, I am now guilty of completely dragging this off topic and this subject has been rehashed many many times, so lets go back on to who the next St Johnstone manger will be .... Mark McGhee anyone ;-)

I know mate - I hear you, that's the camp I said i was on but I do know find myself wondering what would have happened if we had not sacked Jimmy.

Anyway, I am now guilty of completely dragging this off topic and this subject has been rehashed many many times, so lets go back on to who the next St Johnstone manger will be .... Mark McGhee anyone ;-)

Ok.

I think it'll be Jimmy Calderwood

Ok.

Geoff Brown wouldnt even remotely consider either McGhee or Calderwood for the job, there is as much chance of me getting it as any of them.

Their wage demands would be too high for a start and St Johnstone have had a decent record recently of plucking newbies and developing them into decent managers and they will do exactly the same thing again.

Ok.

Geoff Brown wouldnt even remotely consider either McGhee or Calderwood for the job, there is as much chance of me getting it as any of them.

Their wage demands would be too high for a start and St Johnstone have had a decent record recently of plucking newbies and developing them into decent managers and they will do exactly the same thing again.

I agree with this from a long term point of view BUT

Imo they may (& would not be crazy to) take in someone like JC, or JJ til the end of the season to help blood in their long term replacement, whoever that may be, be it Davie Weir, Bollan, Morris or any of the others mentioned.

They wouldn't have to pay them much at all cos let's face it, JJ & JC are earning nothing at the moment & would jump at ANY SPL job (no matter the wages) just to get back in football & back in the window so to speak.

St Johnstone have always gone for new up & comings yes this is true BUT they have been a 1st Div side every time they have done this. They are currently an SPL side & are going very well, they would want to finish off this season as well, or even better than they have started, so there is less risk in doing it this way (imo) but only until season end & as I say it will cost them little or no more than just giving a newby the job straight away.

Either way they are in a good position & can call all the shots but there is slightly less risk for them in taking in an experienced head (on the cheap) to help blood the real replacement in time for next season in the SPL.

Just my opinion & if it was up to me to decide, I'd have to seriously consider it cos like I say, I really do not think it will cost them much (if any) more to go down this route.

:dontknow:

No he's right (second time) it was Falkirk that went down (09/10 season) the year JC ended Killie's season

Thought Falkirk went down in Calderwoods last season here? Pressley only had a short stint managing in the SPL and he definitely managed against JC at Pittodrie.

Calderwood left or was binned in May 2009.

Falkirk went down 09/10 season with Killie finishing second bottom under JC http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics.

Pressley only assisted in managing Falkirk in the summer of 2009 & then got appointed to manager in Feb 2010 til season end but then got extension once they got relegated.

Calderwood was appointed manager of Kilmarnock on 14 January 2010, succeeding Jim Jefferies. He agreed a contract with the club until the end of the 2009–10 season. Calderwood managed to secure Kilmarnock's SPL status for another season, but left the club in the summer after disagreeing with chairman Michael Johnston about the player and coaching budgets.

Personally I like JC and I hope he get's a job. He was the only manager in years to have kept us in the top 6 regardless of funds or not. We still have more funds than most sides in the SPL and baring our last two games have been fairly rank. We had more than most under McGhee as well and he completely destroyed us.

Good luck JC.

He is & very strongly tipped for it.

Talk was originally of him going as No.2 to Brown then stepping up to the helm I believe but then it was just him taking the job straight off.

An international management job. No experience, less than average player.

Why would they?

An international management job. No experience, less than average player.

Why would they?

Mr RAZOR...maybe cause even the Irish can realise what you and others fail to see....Craigan is a smart c*nt...he's the reason Well, are the team they are.

Less than average player?....Name one top player that has gone on to manage at a high level...yup none...Craigan will do a job somewhere...100% certain.

Mr RAZOR...maybe cause even the Irish can realise what you and others fail to see....Craigan is a smart c*nt...he's the reason Well, are the team they are.

Less than average player?....Name one top player that has gone on to manage at a high level...yup none...Craigan will do a job somewhere...100% certain.

You may not think it but Alex Ferguson was a top player in his time & his record shows it (with more than 1 goal every other game) :dontknow:

Oh & what about Kenny Dalglish? overall Scoring record no quite as good as Ferguson but nae to bad all the same :dontknow:

That's two off the top of my head but probably PLENTY more

You may not think it but Alex Ferguson was a top player in his time & his record shows it (with more than 1 goal every other game) :dontknow:

Oh & what about Kenny Dalglish? overall Scoring record no quite as good as Ferguson but nae to bad all the same :dontknow:

In the German national side Beckenbauer, Voller and Klinsmann all went into national team management and were successful. All three were untried as managers when they were appointed.

From Holland Rijkaard and Van Basten did alright as managers.

Laurent Blanc did well at Bordeaux before becoming national coach.

And the Italians have had Trapattoni, Zoff and Maldini (Snr).

It's more a European thing to appoint former players as coaches but there are numerous examples of it working for national sides.

In the German national side Beckenbauer, Voller and Klinsmann all went into national team management and were successful. All three were untried as managers when they were appointed.

It's more a European thing to appoint former players as coaches but there are numerous examples of it working for national sides.

Your are a very silly wee boy Redstar.

& England had Terry Venables,Glenn Hoddle & Kevin Keegan along with others you could hardly label as not being top players.

That was a crazy statement to make Redstar

& England had Terry Venables,Glenn Hoddle & Kevin Keegan along with others you could hardly label as not being top players.

That was a crazy statement to make Redstar

In the best scouser acent I can muster calm down calm down....Who said Craigan was a shite player anyway (Oh yes RAZOR)...he's the captain of Northern Ireland and Well.

We can all name great players that have gone on to manage at a high level...same as we can all name great players that have been absolute mince...Willie Miller,Bryan Robson etc.

In the best scouser acent I can muster calm down calm down....Who said Craigan was a shite player anyway (Oh yes RAZOR)...he's the captain of Northern Ireland and Well.

We can all name great players that have gone on to manage at a high level...same as we can all name great players that have been absolute mince...Willie Miller,Bryan Robson etc.

You said there was no good manager who at played at high level. In that creating an afc-chat Epic Fail.

Well done, it was funnai :applause:

What has Craigan achieved as a player?

You said there was no good manager who at played at high level. In that creating an afc-chat Epic Fail.

Well done, it was funnai :applause:

What has Craigan achieved as a player?

Captaining his county would be an achievent very few realise...I don't know RAZOR you obviously don't rate the guy...what have you achieved in your life??