Poppy

diamondsr4ever

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think the recent "wars" have diluted the meaning of the poppy, especially when it was more geared towards the 2 world wars.

We have always been directed that poppys were for the dead, injured and living from the 2 world wars.

or am i worng?

thats what I always thought but that seems to have changed now and far too many people have agendas - see celtic park for an example.

It should all be about freedom of choice on the matter. Nowadays, it seems it ain't though, and there is a stigma about not wearing one.

Agreed. Eh completely agree wi the reason behind it and the importance of recognising the sacrifices of others, but the way there seems to be an official day (about a week ago) where everyone on tv must start wearing one gets on my breasts.

Im with you on this Roberto, I think more people are offended because its been de-valued, because of recent wars

I think rememberance sunday should be about the fallen in the major world wars that "did" change the way we live.

This is no disrespect to the servicemen who have died in recent years, but im not convinced they are fighting for our freedoms or deocracy.

Im with you on this Roberto, I think more people are offended because its been de-valued, because of recent wars

I think rememberance sunday should be about the fallen in the major world wars that "did" change the way we live.

This is no disrespect to the servicemen who have died in recent years, but im not convinced they are fighting for our freedoms or deocracy.

I've always thought that since servicemen don't really get to choose which conflict they ultimately "buy the farm", they should be remembered via the Poppy independently of the war they died fighting in.

both.

I don't think you can limit it to the World Wars then (not that it is relevant, a person takes from a poppy what they want).

I don't see how you can look at a poppy, think of the war dead, but then nae think of those in service who have died in more recent wars, or even peacekeeping missions.

I don't think you can limit it to the World Wars then (not that it is relevant, a person takes from a poppy what they want).

I don't see how you can look at a poppy, think of the war dead, but then nae think of those in service who have died in more recent wars, or even peacekeeping missions.

I think because as a kid, it was always or felt like it was for war heros from the 2 world wars, just my opinion, i just think these wars were pivotal to the way we live.

im nae sure if the current wars or falklands war are pivotal to our way of life.

I support and wear the poppy - for me it symbolises the fallen in wars and the waste of war - generally speaking the grunts are innocents sent to die by their political masters . The poppy certainly does not glorify war - it is a recognition of the tragedy and consequence of war and a way of helping the poor sods who, whether, we approve or not, are fighting, dieing and getting maimed in our governments name. It is the least I can do. It is a symbol of the fallen and should not just be limited to the world wars.

I support and wear the poppy - for me it symbolises the fallen in wars and the waste of war - generally speaking the grunts are innocents sent to die by their political masters . The poppy certainly does not glorify war - it is a recognition of the tragedy and consequence of war and a way of helping the poor sods who, whether, we approve or not, are fighting, dieing and getting maimed in our governments name. It is the least I can do. It is a symbol of the fallen and should not just be limited to the world wars.

super post!

A work mates mate was over in Belfast a couple days ago buying a car, as he had an overnight stay before travelling back he thought he'd hit the town. The first bar he went to he said the barman slammed the pint down and people were staring at him, he moved on and the same thing happened in the next bar but this time a bloke came up to him and told him he wasn't welcome in the pub, he asked what the problem was and it turned out to be the poppy he was wearing.

He removed it and apologised for any offence caused, he was told that he'd never have lasted the night without taking a kicking if he'd worn it in that part of town.

I think I'd have told paddy to feck off and worn it with pride.

Never usually wear one but would make the effort if we were at Parkhead.

A work mates mate was over in Belfast a couple days ago buying a car, as he had an overnight stay before travelling back he thought he'd hit the town. The first bar he went to he said the barman slammed the pint down and people were staring at him, he moved on and the same thing happened in the next bar but this time a bloke came up to him and told him he wasn't welcome in the pub, he asked what the problem was and it turned out to be the poppy he was wearing.

He removed it and apologised for any offence caused, he was told that he'd never have lasted the night without taking a kicking if he'd worn it in that part of town.

I think I'd have told paddy to feck off and worn it with pride.

Never usually wear one but would make the effort if we were at Parkhead.

you tell em Dayts.

i'd be right behind you backing you up.

the good old great british poppy. its up there with yourshire pudding, ale and scratchings.

wars are a different kettle of fish these days. fought over oil and money and sand dunes.

but back in the day we were fighting the sausage munching krauts and the slitty eyed gooks.

and we must never forget that.

you tell em Dayts.

i'd be right behind you backing you up.

the good old great british poppy. its up there with yourshire pudding, ale and scratchings.

wars are a different kettle of fish these days. fought over oil and money and sand dunes.

but back in the day we were fighting the sausage munching krauts and the slitty eyed gooks.

and we must never forget that.

:nono:

Feel free to fire into the square heads though. :thumbs:

Excellent post.

The Poppy is not just a symbol either. The money raised by the Royal British Legion and PoppyScotland is used to provide financial, social and emotional support to all serving and ex-service personnel and their families of all conflicts. Over 16,000 names have been added to war memorials since the end of the Second World War (1964 is the only year in which not a single British serviceman has died on Active Service since the end of the Second World War) and tens of thousands more live with the physical and mental scars of their service.

The passing of the Great War generation does not diminish the significance - there are lads and lassies out there who are 18, 19, 20 years of age who have suffered life changing injuries and lost friends. Many of them are surviving injuries that even a few years ago would have been regarded as unsurvivable but the one thing that has remained the same since the earliest promises of "A land fit for heroes" is that they need and deserve our support just as much as their forefathers.

Maybe the people of Aberdeen should sell something every year to help ex casuals who were injured during active service for their great City, I have a scar on my right cheek and arthritis in my knuckles as a result of my years of service, I know many other ex combatants who are suffering from mental and physical injuries.

Perhaps sell a plastic daffodil or rose.

Maybe the people of Aberdeen should sell something every year to help ex casuals who were injured during active service for their great City, I have a scar on my right cheek and arthritis in my knuckles as a result of my years of service, I know many other ex combatants who are suffering from mental and physical injuries.

Perhaps sell a plastic daffodil or rose.

a rose? how yorkshire.

a granite fist pin badge?

I wear one every year. With pride. My old gramps and great uncles were all in the forces during WWII. They all survived it, but had a few close calls. Saying that, the family trait of being late saved my uncle - he wouldn't be with us if he hadnt been late for the frigate/destroyer he was meant to on, meaning he missed it setting sail and subsequently being sunk.

Anyone tells me that they're offended by it, I'll tell them where to go. These guys shouldn't be forgotten. Normal guys that went to war to protect their family and countries.