Paul Lawrie's Corner

Quick story from today,

after hitting my tee shot left off the fifth tee i went to the portable toilet before opening the door i gave the door a huge kick as i was pretty pissed off what i didnt know was jose maria olazabal was inside the toilet having a pish!!!!!!! i said sorry jose i guess thats my pick out the window if i need one!!

paul

:laughing:

Better not need a pick then.

Quick story from today,

after hitting my tee shot left off the fifth tee i went to the portable toilet before opening the door i gave the door a huge kick as i was pretty pissed off what i didnt know was jose maria olazabal was inside the toilet having a pish!!!!!!! i said sorry jose i guess thats my pick out the window if i need one!!

paul

Lol.

I once did that with Seve at the Scottish Open at Carnoustie, in 1995. Bloke was my idol and I smacked his erse with a portaloo door. He wisna happy.

Onwize. Will you need to be a member at the PLGC to be able to use the practice putting green, and chipping area? You used to have to be a member fin it wiz Aspire, but will you be allowing folk to use it, the same way they can use the driving range - walk up? Hardly anywhere in Aberdeen where you can specifically practice your short game.

Lol.

I once did that with Seve at the Scottish Open at Carnoustie, in 1995. Bloke was my idol and I smacked his erse with a portaloo door. He wisna happy.

Onwize. Will you need to be a member at the PLGC to be able to use the practice putting green, and chipping area? You used to have to be a member fin it wiz Aspire, but will you be allowing folk to use it, the same way they can use the driving range - walk up? Hardly anywhere in Aberdeen where you can specifically practice your short game.

you will still need to be a member to use short game and putting green

paul

Started going to last day of The Open each year with my Da after following Paul on his last round in '99. Really enjoyed some of the courses and had some good laughs. Stopped going in 2006 when I went away for work for a while. Some highlights:

Not getting out of the stand by the 18th at Muirfield to go for a piss or we'd lose our seats, so knocking on the door to the scoreboard and going in to piss in a bottle. Problem is I'd had a dozen or so beers so bladder was on full stretch - overfilled the bottle and my pee spilled out. Some Yanks in the back row of the stand I could see through the cracks in the scoreboard got some watery Scottish pish on their backs as a memento of Scotland.

Bumping into Jackie Bird and copping a feelie (honestly didn't mean it).

Wishing the little wifie beside me would shut up while I was watching Tiger Woods putt (at Lytham I think), turning and giving her a dirty look - saw she was a bit on the chicken oriental side of things and had two huge minders - turned out it was Eldrick's Ma.

Going for a piss in a portaloo at St Andrews behind the 14th (I think). When I came back Thomas Levet was walking off the green. Quite like him so shouted "Allez Thomas!" to show my support. He gave me a death stare - nae really like him - then found out he'd just double bogeyed to fall out of contention - my "Go Thomas" wasn't really appropriate.

Best day ever was the final round in '99. Followed Paul not expecting him to win (who did?). A few hours later, soaked to the skin walking up the 18th on the play-off singing "Flower of Scotland" because Paul had two putts to win The Open (who needs two). My old man says it is the best day of his life. We hung about at the end and landed up round the right hand side of the hotel. Mark James (Ryder Cup captain at the time) came up to us and said "What are you guys doing here?" We bluffed it and said "We're mates of Pauls". He heard the accents and believed us and said, "Oh ok, come round then." Went to back of hotel where there was a reception area, Paul surrounded by folk. We chickened out at that point and went out, across the railway to the pub and got pissed before going back up the road. Should've chanced it, no-one would have noticed - nae often you'd get a drink off the R&A. Some of the TV footage has us lurking about in the background!!

complete f*** up on back nine , out in four under back in four over , hit some poor shots so didnt really deserve much else

pity was right in it after nine but two more days to go

paul

Good man for coming online tonight Paul, didn't think we'd hear from you.

Can I ask, I see that you played 11 holes with Darren Clarke at Portrush earlier in the year, plus I assume the pro-am on wednesday. But how can you suss a course out in only a few rounds, ahead of a tournament? Is it additionaly down to a good caddie?

Good man for coming online tonight Paul, didn't think we'd hear from you.

Can I ask, I see that you played 11 holes with Darren Clarke at Portrush earlier in the year, plus I assume the pro-am on wednesday. But how can you suss a course out in only a few rounds, ahead of a tournament? Is it additionaly down to a good caddie?

even if i havnt played the course before one practise round is enough to get lines from tees etc , my caddie was here on monday and walked the course twice before i arrived , and we had a good look during the pro am

paul

complete f*** up on back nine , out in four under back in four over , hit some poor shots so didnt really deserve much else

pity was right in it after nine but two more days to go

paul

Had the winnings spent after another eagle at 9 ! :)

Still, as you say, two days to go. Hope the wind gets up for the later starters :thumbup1:

Best of luck

Mair like it today, Paul, 66. Another eagle on the 9th.

Another PLGC question. You still be selling golf equipment in there?

Aye much better today attitude was good weather this morning was awful so was good effort

Yeah still selling equipment and got some new stock coming soon

Paul.

Any update on your course design over the road at Blairs, Paul?

What about Nicklaus's course at Stonehaven, has that been shelved?

The Muir group keep telling me their working hard behind the scenes but haven't heard much for a while, Sorry no idea on the Nicklaus project

Paul

Heard Lawrie on the radio this morning, banging on about Trump's course, waxing lyrical, must be getting a freebie I thought to myself.

First time I've heard him speak. He sounds less posh than I 'at first thought' to quote Graeme Souness.

He's gone up in my estimation, slightly.

Heard Lawrie on the radio this morning, banging on about Trump's course, waxing lyrical, must be getting a freebie I thought to myself.

First time I've heard him speak. He sounds less posh than I 'at first thought' to quote Graeme Souness.

He's gone up in my estimation, slightly.

He's fae Kemnay, FFS. Naebody spikks posh fae Kemnay.

Maybe you were getting him mixed up with Monty :sheepdance: