Experiments With Food

Looks top notch!

I've heard you don't need to put any more wood chips on after about the first 4 hours as the neat will stop taking on much smokey flavour after this point. Nae sure how to true that is so.

thank you kindly :wave: a digital thermometer is next on the to-buy list. i should have grabbed one the other day when i bought everything else, but i forgot. and i'd read the same, this morning. :) will try with fewer chips the next time, and use them at the beginning only. yesterday, i was fumigating the area with hickory smoke for several hours :laughing:

Would be sma fine in a Tiger Bap.

in fact, my son took away leftovers to do just that today for lunch. left over brisket and sauce, pile on the home made cole slaw and that's a sandwich. with a side of potato salad. :)

thanks for that @@dervish. i'll be using Franklin to smoke some pulled pork next weekend! :cheers:

i had no problems managing the smoke and keeping the heat constant. but it required a fair bit of babying stoking with charcoal and wood chips more frequently than i thought i'd have to. the brisket worked out reasonably well. it was tender, and very smoky -- as evidenced by the pink ring around the edge -- and pretty tasty. i'm happy with my first attempt.

photo%203%201_zpsgdjfusdt.jpg

photo%204_zpsgkgiidjs.jpg

photo%205_zpsqbvkzgsy.jpg

I'm on a diet and that looks fine as fook! The way I feel id have a stab at eating the lot! :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

i think i'm getting the hang of this smoking thing.

pulled pork this past weekend. absolutely amazing flavour. was like biting through butter it was so tender.

heaped with homemade slaw. fantastic.

next up is some smoked mackerel.

pulled%20pork%202_zps0letzkb9.jpg

That looks shit hot as did your brisket. Making me hungry!

i think i'm getting the hang of this smoking thing.

pulled pork this past weekend. absolutely amazing flavour. was like biting through butter it was so tender.

heaped with homemade slaw. fantastic.

next up is some smoked mackerel.

pulled%20pork%202_zps0letzkb9.jpg

That looks truly a thing of beauty LGIR!!! could so go that right now.

Might have to look into investing in one of these smokers, yours and Dervish pics have made it so tempting.

Aye know what you mean was creme fraiche and mint took the edge off it for wraps. More like a kinda greek dip thing.

That said do like a bit of mint sauce but not too much it can be nippy as fuck. See if you've got a "normal" kettle type bbq can still do a similar thing. Just cook indirect.

BBQ pit boys version(worth subscribing to on youtube, beer can burgers not bad either):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ4s0XuglSc

(you don't need that holder thing, can put the coals to one side and put the bird to the other, also doesn't need to be beer in it)

Cheers Dervish, the chicken in that vid looked awesome, I just have a firepit come BBQ right now but the kettle BBQ'S are cheap. will invest in one.

Without the holder you'd just plonk the chicken in with a can stuck inside it? Imagine the holder would just be a couple quid off ebay, just wondering? :)

I dunno never used the holder thing. Tinnie with water in it does the same job. If you're just buying a kettle now maybe think about a proq frontier (or ranger). It's a fair bit but you can use it in all weather as a smoker (even in the snow). I wasn't sure if I'd use it much but do all the time in all seasons.

Or if you're handy there is another option. You could make an Ugly Drum Smoker(UDS). http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Ugly-Drum-Smoker-UDS/?ALLSTEPS

Oh aye option three is if you know folk who do homers can get them to make one out of stainless for "free*". :trophy:

*not for their company though

One thing I really would say to get though is a thermometer (really a meat probe). You get ones called mavericks which are wireless and you can leave them in and fuck off and wait for it to tell you when it's done.

For these things you always cook to internal temp (some pros don't but really I'm not keen on overcooking/undercooking because I dunno what I'm doing).

There's loads but I have this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUDemmmubs

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to hit about 115-120 it's going vary over night when I'm not checking it so. Got two decent sized bits of pork shoulder in there next to each other. Hopefully it doesn't fluctuate to widely but it's a pretty forgiving cut. Also don't the bowl filled with water (find its just a pain in the arse to clean and the pork has plenty of fat, plus paranoid it effects the bark) so this might effect it. Hopefully it edible anyway.

Hopefully be able to check it about 8am so can pull it out then if needs be.

Yaldy sounds good, how did it work out? I dinna bother with water either, I put an old casserole dish lid in the water bowl (wrapped in foil, to moderate the temp from lid openings etc). Also http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8615590.htmthese roaster are £15 (deal just now is if you quote HOME15 get more off so near £10. The smaller one fits in a proq frontier pretty snug so put that on the lower rack to catch all the fat etc then can make sauces/gravy in the roaster (no non-stick so you can scrape all the good bits off).

£3 lidls chicken, never even bothered beer canning it just a dust of lidl piri-piri rub. Then took that pan out poured the goodness into a pan and made a roux, deglazed the roasting pan with chicken stock and turned into that sauce (aka KFC gravy knockoff) though put some green tabasco in it cos I'm addicted to that shit.

11741138_10155807227325153_1542953046178

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone have a tried-and-true clootie dumpling recipe they'd be willing to share?

i've wanted to try making one, but like most recipes, there's lots of variations out there. and given that it seems to be more than a three-hour investment of time, it'd be a shame to have it not be particularly good when it's finished.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

oh yeah. i tried a crumpet the other day.

what a rubbery tasteless mistake THAT was.

i wasn't expecting anything over the top.. just thought it would be sort of bread-y tasting and i could grill it or just slap some butter and cheese or jam on it and it'd be edible.

but rubbery. like a little pancake. almost made gag. and not much does. what a weird little piece of food.

experiment done. won't be doing that again.

oh yeah. i tried a crumpet the other day.

what a rubbery tasteless mistake THAT was.

i wasn't expecting anything over the top.. just thought it would be sort of bread-y tasting and i could grill it or just slap some butter and cheese or jam on it and it'd be edible.

but rubbery. like a little pancake. almost made gag. and not much does. what a weird little piece of food.

experiment done. won't be doing that again.

And you'd be right.

You can't fuck up grilling a crumpet...you must have.