Experiments With Food

oh yeah. i tried a crumpet the other day.

what a rubbery tasteless mistake THAT was.

i wasn't expecting anything over the top.. just thought it would be sort of bread-y tasting and i could grill it or just slap some butter and cheese or jam on it and it'd be edible.

but rubbery. like a little pancake. almost made gag. and not much does. what a weird little piece of food.

experiment done. won't be doing that again.

Ever been on foodwishes youtube? Is awesome I'm sure he's got a crumpet recipe, though he calls it a english muffin. Which is fine because after all you're the terry nutkins of your english muffins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrEgyTZvV0

Ever been on foodwishes youtube? Is awesome I'm sure he's got a crumpet recipe, though he calls it a english muffin. Which is fine because after all you're the terry nutkins of your english muffins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrEgyTZvV0

i like english muffins. and that does seem easy enough. ! i hadn't seen that youtube channel before, so thanks for the recommendation; i'll check it out! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Looks good LGIR! What was the texture like?

Got another top lad of youtube videos for the hatters if you're feeling like making chinese at home give him a look (not a massive amount of followers weirdly):

https://www.youtube.com/user/vongs510

Anyways from his stuff have seen that chinese chefs use cornstarch slurries quite a bit (normally on chopped bits) currently trying some with garlic and mustard seeds on a whole chicken. Will report back.

Looks good LGIR! What was the texture like?

Got another top lad of youtube videos for the hatters if you're feeling like making chinese at home give him a look (not a massive amount of followers weirdly):

It was just fine -- smooth and firm.

I still prefer a baked cheesecake and a proper crust, but this is a good alternative, as long as you have time to chill it overnight.

• 5 months later...

As good a thread as any:

A vegan has died trying to climb Everest to prove they are as strong as meat-eating counterparts

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/vegan-climber-34-dies-on-everest-during-mission-to-prove-vegans-can-climb-highest-peaks-a3254251.html

People who don't own a Telly, people who don't eat meat, and people who don't take a drink...

Keep a close eye on them.

• 4 months later...

Came across some tiny, fingernail-sized purple and green Brussel sprouts at the farmers market yesterday. Bought them on spec.

Sautéed them in olive oil and garlic and double smoked bacon. Served stop tagliatelle tossed with oil and parm and a squirt of lemon. It was good but still missing something.

image_zpslexgspyj.jpeg

What it should have been missing was brussel sprouts.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

that's a lot of anger about a few tea cakes, @@dervish!

are you still smoking?

i'm about to pull the smoker out for a big BBQ next weekend -- the full gamut -- brisket, pulled pork and ribs.

have you tried smoking cheese yet? had much success?

or as easy/good to just buy it from the shop?

LGIR

Not so much moved and don't have it here. Sounds great, makes me jealous!

Yeah I've done cheese (cold, obviously) was good but definitely not anything like doing cold smoked mackerel or trout. Low and slow sea bass is a serious winner too dry herbs on the skin side and salt to crisp it up without heat.

Cold smoked salt is handy (and near enough free) for adding a bit of smoke to dishes. Cold or hot garlic is good too. Suppose you could cold smoke sugar for bbq sauce too like, just thought of that.

Fuck I miss my smoker. :suicide: