Experiments With Food

I'm going to rustle up something out of the only ingredients that is in Jigot's larder. Which comprises of the following items.

7 tin o Tyskie

6 bottles of Bud (fuckin room temperature)

1/2 a slate o DF's

And what appears to be a brick of Sultanas or it could be Raisins, fuck knows?

http://12tomatoes.com/2014/04/vegetarian-snack-recipe-baked-kale-chips.html

worked a treat! i didn't have any nut butter about (other than peanut butter, and i'm pretty sure that's not what they intended), so i made it with just olive oil. snackable. and relatively good for you.

:thumbup1:

:happy:

Anyways maybe bacon and cheese kale would be ok? Might need to tweak the recipe a bit. Drop the kale perhaps?

Dunno why but I've not bothered doing any fancy cooking lately. Too busy DIYing and gardening I think. Though worked out some decent burgers. Basically few mushrooms (really only a few) load of onions and pepper and salt, blitzed, streaky bacon in as well, blitzed, cheapest fattest mince (2/3rds total), blitzed. Mix in the rest by hand. Make a roll of it on clingfilm pretty tight(maybe half the dia of final burgers). Leave it for as long as you can. Over night is good. Then slice out each burger twice as thick as you want then pat out to final thickness. Make sure there is plenty pepper on it too. Then just the usual. Prob best with streaky bacon (more yeah..) and cheese maybe mushrooms.

These days tend to make a much sharper sauce to go with it though. Mayo + Piccalilli + horseradish + dijon + maybe a small bit of ketchup just to cut through the all the fat.

Yeah, definitely.

Don't get me wrong I can trough a kebab and chip with the best of them but folk whodont or won't appreciate fine food and drink are obviously not worth my time.

And my times fuckin valuable you know.

Sheltered insular folk can GTF.

Well in a way don't disagree. We're lucky these days in our freedom and ability to eat near enough anything we want or go anywhere we want. Some folk, especially with kids, don't have that luxury. Can tell you if I was home at 6pm after setting off at 6am having to cook for 5 other people I'd not be fucking about with food much (still would be good but not prep intensive!) and when it came to holidays paying 4 or 5 times more for it I'd be much more restricted too.

Like I say do agree in general but is easy to be judgemental.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

There isn't one. Just take biscuits -- fitever kind you like best that you think goes with peanut butter -- if they're big maybe just one per muffin tin. If thinner, use two (I used two plain chocolate biscuits that had chopped peanuts on them in each). Smear with a generous dollop of peanut butter. Put in muffin cup. If using a second, repeat and pop on top.

Use a box chewy brownie mix. Prepare according to instructions. Put a spoonful (you should have just enough brownie batter for 12 of these). Smoosh around cookies a bit (it melts down around as it cooks so don't worry too much about filling around all the cookie). Bake for about 25 minutes. Job done. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge sweet fan but peanut can take it back far enough towards savory to like so I'm a fan.

See below for DIY cold smoked salmon (thought put up before but canna see), I do it way sweeter with ginger than normal plus less time to keep it lighter. These were el cheapo on offer from Tesco. Anyways did mackerel tonight had a dunt then making pate tomorrow.

Cured but not smoked.

14443280981_4a8eb82110.jpg

Salmon al la Dervish.

14466808783_0ce0bc8410.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Big fan of the ol' nut butter eh? :itch-chin: Looks good what was the fluffy stuff?

Had a first go at making and using a starter for bread/dough can confirm is the dogs baws. First use was ciabatta but pizza dough for the first time tastes like proper dough.

i love nut butters. and they're great for you. the fluffy stuff was peanut butter whipped with icing sugar and a bit of cream.

by a starter, do you mean a poolish? (i've used that in making baguettes, but never thought to do it with pizza dough.) i would love to get my hands on a proven sour dough starter some day.

I have my own starter he's called dave and lives next to the aga

had him for about a year now the wife feeds him when I'm away and make batches of sour dough when I am home

I actually thought this thread was going to be about shoving food stuffs in erotic places.

Ach well

hanging out beside the Aga sounds cozy :)

since Dervish is looking for a proven starter, might you be able to spare a little of dave? :wave:

• 2 weeks later...