Trump International Golf Links, Aberdeen

I didn't say it was better or worse. I happen to find the Castle more ENJOYABLE. I'm not a scratch golfer nor a pro. I don't want to be asked relentless demands off the tee every hole and I didn't lose one drive all day as I was hitting it great. Did block a 3 and a 5 iron though that both deserved to be lost but I prefer the Castle at St A more than I liked Trump and I far prefer Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns of the new builds.

The greens at Trump are stupid though, and some of them WILL be altered if they are to attract tour events. The 1st, 4th, 8th, 10th in particular are absurd. An approach can land just before a ridge and skip up to the right level, it can land 2 feet further on and hit the diagonal ridge and kick 60 feet away or it can land 2 feet further on, on the right level and at the top of a rock hard ledge and kick 40 feet past. On a proper links, approaches landing within a couple of yards of each other, all hit the same, will end up within 4, 5 or 6 feet from each other. They are no extremes based on the luck of the bounce ON THE GREENS on a traditional links course. This was why KB and the Castle had to redesign and bulldoze some of their greens. It's just not golf.

Difficulty is not influencing my impressions or opinions here. It is a difficult course and I know KB and the Castle and Castle Stuart are easier but my favourite happens to be the most difficult I've ever played, Royal Lytham. FS says the Boat of Garten is his fav and I agree that is a magnificent course. But it's all about opinions. I agree with smg that the 9th at Craibstone is the best hole on the course but for me, the best inland course in the NE is Hazlehead. I prefer links though, true links, proper links, traditional links. Moray Old and Fraserburgh are understated gems and if I was to choose one course only, it would be St Annes Old Links because they have the best greens I've ever encountered.

Nairn West and Royal Aberdeen are infinitely superior to Trump and always will be for me, even when they do start re-constructing the joke greens. Like Dundonald Links (and KB and the Castle when they first opened), this modern requirement to have funky greens is bollocks and makes the game a total lottery.

Machrihanish (original) has a good rep but I wouldn't go all the way there just for a game of golf and certainly not with an insulting weegie so thanks for the offer but I'll play it another time.

Hahaha,

Indeed but I'd have stood you up anyway cos you sound like a moaning cock.

Strangly enough my mate raves about St Annes Old Links as well, looks like I must play it then. Your quite clearly a shit putter if you think Dundonald greens are tricky. Only the 13th has a huge step in it. Would you prefer all greens to be pancakes???

I didn't say it was better or worse. I happen to find the Castle more ENJOYABLE. I'm not a scratch golfer nor a pro. I don't want to be asked relentless demands off the tee every hole and I didn't lose one drive all day as I was hitting it great. Did block a 3 and a 5 iron though that both deserved to be lost but I prefer the Castle at St A more than I liked Trump and I far prefer Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns of the new builds.

The greens at Trump are stupid though, and some of them WILL be altered if they are to attract tour events. The 1st, 4th, 8th, 10th in particular are absurd. An approach can land just before a ridge and skip up to the right level, it can land 2 feet further on and hit the diagonal ridge and kick 60 feet away or it can land 2 feet further on, on the right level and at the top of a rock hard ledge and kick 40 feet past. On a proper links, approaches landing within a couple of yards of each other, all hit the same, will end up within 4, 5 or 6 feet from each other. They are no extremes based on the luck of the bounce ON THE GREENS on a traditional links course. This was why KB and the Castle had to redesign and bulldoze some of their greens. It's just not golf.

Difficulty is not influencing my impressions or opinions here. It is a difficult course and I know KB and the Castle and Castle Stuart are easier but my favourite happens to be the most difficult I've ever played, Royal Lytham. FS says the Boat of Garten is his fav and I agree that is a magnificent course. But it's all about opinions. I agree with smg that the 9th at Craibstone is the best hole on the course but for me, the best inland course in the NE is Hazlehead. I prefer links though, true links, proper links, traditional links. Moray Old and Fraserburgh are understated gems and if I was to choose one course only, it would be St Annes Old Links because they have the best greens I've ever encountered.

Nairn West and Royal Aberdeen are infinitely superior to Trump and always will be for me, even when they do start re-constructing the joke greens. Like Dundonald Links (and KB and the Castle when they first opened), this modern requirement to have funky greens is bollocks and makes the game a total lottery.

Machrihanish (original) has a good rep but I wouldn't go all the way there just for a game of golf and certainly not with an insulting weegie so thanks for the offer but I'll play it another time.

Add Moray Old to that list as well.

That can tend to be a general misleader, what I will say in my own case, if I had to spend the rest of my life traipsing round one course, I'd probaly choose Boat of Garten, a course until this summer, I'd never broken 80 around in all my attempts to play it. So it was not a fave due to my tremendous scoring achievements, quite the reverse. Similarly, but conversly, I've never broken 80 round Murcar, and think it's shit, but then that I think is becasue it is pretty shit. (fwiw I play off 4)

Lovely course. Used to play using reciprocal rights from Ballater a few years back. I remember a few times playing great golf and walking off with poor scores - mainly down to 40+ putts! The greens in the height of summer used to be tricky to say the least.

If I had to play the same course again and again for the rst of my life? If I had it to myself and it was in good condition, The Kings Links from the medals. Vastly under-rated course with about two from 18 holes that could be done with an upgrade (8th and 12th). I've scored my best ever round on "The Links" which might skew my opinion slightly. I've played on plenty of prestigious courses around the world too, but none I have felt quite as "at home" on.

I would have to agree with you on Boat, lovely tranquil setting, narrow but still fair and truly amazing greens.

There are a few decent tracks in that area. I really enjoy Spey Valley, its a tremendous challenge and requires every club and every shot. Kingussie, Newtonmore, & Granton, are all fun tracks set in amazing scenery.

Playing here on Saturday with my old man for his birthday. Looking forward to it. Weather better bloody improve though!

So, played here on Saturday morning - and what a great experience. Absolutely loved the course and general set up. Got the weather for it too.

Tee off was 0945 - arrived about 8am and had a bit of breakfast, was introduced to our caddies then hit the practise range and putting greens.

Played off the green tees, apart from at 14 & 18 when we went up to the blacks. 2 stunning views right there looking along the coastline to Aberdeen and as far North as you can see.

Hadnt played in 2 years, so glad I hit the driving range for the week before. Finished not too bad - had a 2 @ 16 (landed the ball 4" from the hole), 4 @ 17 and 6 @ 18.

Stunning course. Cant actually think of a hole I had a critisism of. Really enjoyed playing the 10th hole, dogleg to the left away from the clubhouse.

Yes the course is young and has a bit of sand on it - to be expected.

The club house is stunning - considering its temporary.

I found having the caddies a massive help - think it would be quite tough carrying a set of clubs around there.

Much more I could say about it but I wont go on - would strongly recommend playing there and will again when the course opens again in April.

Lovely course. Used to play using reciprocal rights from Ballater a few years back. I remember a few times playing great golf and walking off with poor scores - mainly down to 40+ putts! The greens in the height of summer used to be tricky to say the least.

If I had to play the same course again and again for the rst of my life? If I had it to myself and it was in good condition, The Kings Links from the medals. Vastly under-rated course with about two from 18 holes that could be done with an upgrade (8th and 12th). I've scored my best ever round on "The Links" which might skew my opinion slightly. I've played on plenty of prestigious courses around the world too, but none I have felt quite as "at home" on.

Ballater. A course I ain't played in 33 years, must get back there sometime soon.

For me, whilst its great to experience the WOW factor of an Open venue, I found Carnoustie, eg, a slog, esp the back nine, no enjoyment at all, all those long par 4s with the burns just in front of the greens. I need to be able to compete to have any real sense of enjoyment. St Andrews Old, though, i feel i could compete on, just not on the greens!!

But I agree about the Boat, and can I add Forres to that list?

Played 3 courses in Florida this past fortnight and enjoyed them all. Not particularly tough tracks, but ones that I can compete on and make an arse of myself at the same time.

Kind of off topic question but you'll see where I'm going with it given the conversation above.

Of an age now where wee kiddies and golf just don't mix. Also struggling to get sufficient time off work to do it justice then either. Often looking at possible holiday breaks where I could try and indulge both kids during the day and golf either early morning or evening if sufficient brownie points were earned. Any suggestions for locations? Home or abroad?

Ironically if I stick the usual search words into google, beach, hotel with pool, golf nearby type thing it invariably comes up with Nairn. All well and good and I'm actually in total agreement, the only problem is I used to live there and would kind of like something different. If I suggest taking the kids to Nairn on holiday the wife sees through me immediately!

Kind of off topic question but you'll see where I'm going with it given the conversation above.

Of an age now where wee kiddies and golf just don't mix. Also struggling to get sufficient time off work to do it justice then either. Often looking at possible holiday breaks where I could try and indulge both kids during the day and golf either early morning or evening if sufficient brownie points were earned. Any suggestions for locations? Home or abroad?

Ironically if I stick the usual search words into google, beach, hotel with pool, golf nearby type thing it invariably comes up with Nairn. All well and good and I'm actually in total agreement, the only problem is I used to live there and would kind of like something different. If I suggest taking the kids to Nairn on holiday the wife sees through me immediately!

Simple. Belek, Antalya Turkey!

Outstanding courses and hotels are 5 star. All hotels are class but for value you can't beat Voyage Belek.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Windmills will be more use to the country than a golf course, eyesore to some but they don't bother me and I can see 5 from house and a lot closer than the ones that get the yanks drawers in a twist

Renewable sources provides 35% of all Scotland's electricity needs, will/should be 50% by 2015.

The UK as a whole i think it's 7-9%.

Noway produces 99% of it's electricity from hydro.

I've just had a read of his twitter account - the guy must be off his head! Some of the stuff he posts up there is outrageous! His PR people must be tearing their hair out every time he logs on!

Was reading that too some load of waffle on it, "candy floss heid" :laughing: as a journalist called him was also spitting the dummy out about Obama being re-elected

His Obama tweets were class.

Jumped in far too early to go on a mad rant about the popular vote then deleted them a few hours later. Absolute mong.

Anyway would be interesting to see how much money his course has brought to the economy of the area. It seems to be a roaring success to me but I'm basing that on the opinions of a few.

His Obama tweets were class.

Jumped in far too early to go on a mad rant about the popular vote then deleted them a few hours later. Absolute mong.

Anyway would be interesting to see how much money his course has brought to the economy of the area. It seems to be a roaring success to me but I'm basing that on the opinions of a few.

Doubt it's brought much this year, soft launch with the locals effectively training tools for his staff. Next year will be the real kick-off.

Renewable sources provides 35% of all Scotland's electricity needs, will/should be 50% by 2015.

The UK as a whole i think it's 7-9%.

Noway produces 99% of it's electricity from hydro.

Do your figures include the cheating?

Pumping water 'uphill' while the electricity is cheap through the night before allowing it to flow and generate through the day. This is hardly helping the environment - the electricity is being generated twice.

Are there many foreigners going FS?

D'a ken quine, but when we played it end of July, there were a smattering of Yanks around. Majority were locals though.

Next year will be different, those who really wanted to play it will largely have done so this year, it'll be Japs & yanks largely next year I imagine.