Sevco Thread

14 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Absolutely not. I detest der hun but the story about the socks representing being up to their knees in fenian blood is just an urban myth that somehow gained traction.

I've no fucking idea who Bob Steele is, other than he's a sevconian but here's what he says about it 

Interesting fact of the day: - The famous royal blue shirt with white shorts is synonymous with Rangers. So why the long tradition of black and red socks? Black and Red are the colours of the Burgh of Govan, so the black and red socks indicate that Rangers are Govan's local team.

As I said above the Billy Boys were around about 60 years after OLDCO Huns were formed

Fuck all to do with fenian blood representing the red tops of their socks. 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Remember when they made up some shite ‘historical link’ as to why they came out with the orange strip that had nothing to do with their King Billy bigotry & got all ‘their’ media pals to back it up. They even had some saying it was because they had so many Dutch players to add to their BS reasoning ?

On 9/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, Simply Red said:

Quick google search is inconclusive on yir theory. You seen the flag?

Moot point anyway seeing as the west coast catholic community have been led to believe it symbolises the famous line in the song since the huns started started wearing those socks. Whatever has been thrown out there since as an explanation doesnt make much odds. 

FTR, i give zero fucks about socks, i just fucking loathe huns and everything they stand for. The hate between the prods and tims historically, was one-sided and pure racism against the irish immigrants. The huns are the bad guys and have been since day one. 

Top posting. 

19 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Well it’ll have fuck all to do with fenian blood theory. 
The Billy Boys weren’t around until the 1930’s.

OLDCO we’re formed about 60 years before they came about

Genuine question, did they have those socks as part of the kit from day 1?

TC makes a decent case for it not being about fenian blood but that could just as easily be the fig leaf the club came up with to cover the real reason.
Like having an "orange" cup final in celebration of all their Dutch players.

Even if it started as a genuine recognition of being a Govan team it now has this connotation that's widely repeated so the club might be better considering changing them if they want to remove bigotry from the mindset of their core support.

Same with the orange third kits.

14 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Remember when they made up some shite ‘historical link’ as to why they came out with the orange strip that had nothing to do with their King Billy bigotry & got all ‘their’ media pals to back it up. They even had some saying it was because they had so many Dutch players to add to their BS reasoning ?

In the interests of historical accuracy their “media pals” included soon to be SFA chief executive Gordon Smith.  Found the link quite amusing as I recall.

5 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I’n such a fucking nerd I probably will. Btw for the avoidance of doubt all I’m saying is that so far I can’t find this fabled flag/coat of arms online at all. It may well exist but I have no reason to believe it does. 

The coat of arms from the old Govan town hall is closest to red and black that I can find...

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/File:Govan2.jpg

On 9/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

“These are the songs that go along with Rangers” said Walter Smith.

Thank fuck you’re dead then, you bigoted old cunt. 

Take Donald Findlay with you. 

That’s the problem, kids growing up to hun families will see these just as songs that go with the club and not the bigoted bile they really are. Every single child made to wear a hun top should be a child protection case straight away.

15 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

That’s the problem, kids growing up to hun families will see these just as songs that go with the club and not the bigoted bile they really are. Every single child made to wear a hun top should be a child protection case straight away.

You’re not wrong.

The same conversations will be had in 100 years time.

A bit like @zeroisgod76 and his posting really.