Becoming A Dad

weemackie

Here is a pic of my tiny sweetheart:

baby_zpsjn23xety.jpg

Yea, the very hairs of your head are all numbered (Luke 12:7)

Speaking of hair, I think she has more than me already! ;)

Many congratulations to you CS.

I've one of each, 11mths apart. It's quite the handful, but I wouldn't change a thing.

I wish you and family all the happiness.

Stand free!

• 2 months later...

So the wean is coming on a treat, now approx 3 months old.

Its like having an extremely valuable and very elaborate pet, isn't it?

She can now do those wee baby smiles which would melt your heart, and is becoming proficient at chirping / cooing noises.

We had our first conversation recently - a rally between us of 5 alternate "a-goos" before she decided that was enough.

She spends all day with her mum as I am out at work etc - her mum is starting to take her to baby classes etc (most of which seem like various excuses for women to gather, dressed up as something for the baby).

I would like to do something with her, but most activities / classes seem to start for toddlers and they all seem to be during the week anyway, during work time.

So, men of the hat (and LGIR), how do you bond with your offspring? It is just spending as much time together as possible, as this stage? Going walks etc?

I like bottle feeding her (her belching when being winded after feeding is hilarious), cuddling her and singing to her (mostly silly songs I make up on the spot, and medieval latin Marian hymns).

I guess it becomes easier when they get a little older and can do stuff / interact more, but I just wondered if you time-served fathers had any advice for this stage.

(Is it too early to read to her?).

It's never too early to read to your child -- the sound of your voice is soothing/interesting/exciting and it's a great habit to get into. Curled up on the sofa or cuddled up in bed reading a book at bedtime, I think.

And it sounds like you're doing a terrific job of bonding with your daughter. You'll have plenty of opportunities as she grows to do other things with her, as you note. So I wouldn't worry too much -- you sound like you're a fantastic dad, C_S.

• Upvote 1

She can now do those wee baby smiles which would melt your heart, and is becoming proficient at chirping / cooing noises.

We had our first conversation recently - a rally between us of 5 alternate "a-goos" before she decided that was enough.

She spends all day with her mum as I am out at work etc - her mum is starting to take her to baby classes etc (most of which seem like various excuses for women to gather, dressed up as something for the baby).

I would like to do something with her, but most activities / classes seem to start for toddlers and they all seem to be during the week anyway, during work time.

So, men of the hat (and LGIR), how do you bond with your offspring? It is just spending as much time together as possible, as this stage? Going walks etc?

I like bottle feeding her (her belching when being winded after feeding is hilarious), cuddling her and singing to her (mostly silly songs I make up on the spot, and medieval latin Marian hymns).

I guess it becomes easier when they get a little older and can do stuff / interact more, but I just wondered if you time-served fathers had any advice for this stage.

:lolrangers::clangers2:

• Upvote 1

Just sit her in from of the tv min for the afternoon.

• Upvote 3

It's never too early to read to your child -- the sound of your voice is soothing/interesting/exciting and it's a great habit to get into. Curled up on the sofa or cuddled up in bed reading a book at bedtime, I think.

And it sounds like you're doing a terrific job of bonding with your daughter. You'll have plenty of opportunities as she grows to do other things with her, as you note. So I wouldn't worry too much -- you sound like you're a fantastic dad, C_S.

Thanks LGIR - perhaps I am just being impatient via being keen to be more involved.

When I get home in the evening, often I am quite tired and have "stuff" to do, and I feel this has a negative effect on the time we do have together.

I have come up with a plan to tell the wife to go out for a while one evening during the week (see friends, do an activity, whatever) so the baby and I can hang together. If the wife is there, there is awlays the temptation to delegate or defer to her when something needs done.

That said, my confidence has grown hugely in just the 3 months - I would handle the baby like a grenade at first, but now much more confident with her. My remaining issue was changing her clothes - was feart of hurting her as you need to manhandle them a little to get their arms down sleeves etc, but its all good now :)

Is she too young for the park Clydeside? The swings are ace and your bound to get lots of smiles....

Ooh, Id say - there will be no swings till shes 21! ;)

I know you get the swings with a barrier to keep them in place, but I figured she'd be too young yet (open to correction!). If she fell off it and hurt herself I would never foirgive myself.

How old were yours, the first time on swings?

Once, I did put her in a prone position and swoosh her about the room as though she was flying ("super-baby"), but I think she was a bit unsure if she was cut out to be a super-baby. Maybe she will like it when a bit older.

Reading, bottle feeding and doing the bath routine were all my thing with my 3 girls.

I also used to take them swimming as soon as they had all the injections and stuff,

I will get stuck into the reading then.

Currently I am reading "Ardennes 1944: Hilters last gamble" - I bet she will enjoy that ;)

(We have some baby books etc already).

Feeding them is good, as you can just look into each others eyes during it and its funny to see them doze off during it, or become "milk drunk".

Currently the wife and I bathe the baby together - we have a glorified bucket for the job, called a "wash pod". Sometimes she is quite docile during her bath, other times she goes mental - must depend if shes tired etc.

Swimming is one thing I am looking into - is it safe enough? Fun? What did the baby think? A local pool does baby classes starting march and she will have had all her jags by then.

Clydeside min, youre far too paranoid and worrying about nothing. Just be natural. Mine is 17 weeks old now. I come in from work, get changed and straight down onto the floor to play about with her until I have tea.

Accept they will get bumps and scrapes and dinna worry about it. I took mine swimming after her first set of jags, dunked her, and she loved it. Fuck reading books, just take things as they come.

The baby will soon let you know if they dont like somthing. No point asking how our children liked swimming or the swings etc as every child is different.

• Upvote 1

I've got a 5yo daughter and a 1yo son. The loon is much harder work than the quine ever was - he's always climbing things, switching things on and off, eating stuff he shouldn't be and generally up to no good. Good fun though and two different experiences. The wife wants about 5 kids she says (although complains constantly during pregnancy and generally about how easy it is for men blah blah blah), I'd happily stop now with one of each but dare say we'll have one more - definitely not having any more than 3!!!

• Upvote 1