U20's Thread

Thank you Parklife. I had read about Danny Harvie playing in the Toulon tournament for the Scotland u21s and was intrigued to hear if anyone had seen him playing and how he had done.Like Danny Rogers he returned last summer all set to push for a first team place and played in the first match at Gayfield then back into the wilderness.A season wasted at a crucial time in his career.I was going to comment on the other freed players,Toby Wells,was never ever going to advance to first team level,none of the former English Academy footballers have been outstandingly better than any local player.Joe McPherson did surprise me,he is still very young and a regular in the team when fit and available.Did score unfortunate own goal in Youth Cup final but a player I did like and had high hopes for.Aberdeen possibly feared frequent call-ups to Peru u20s training camps and matches !

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Parklife. I had read about Danny Harvie playing in the Toulon tournament for the Scotland u21s and was intrigued to hear if anyone had seen him playing and how he had done.Like Danny Rogers he returned last summer all set to push for a first team place and played in the first match at Gayfield then back into the wilderness.A season wasted at a crucial time in his career.I was going to comment on the other freed players,Toby Wells,was never ever going to advance to first team level,none of the former English Academy footballers have been outstandingly better than any local player.Joe McPherson did surprise me,he is still very young and a regular in the team when fit and available.Did score unfortunate own goal in Youth Cup final but a player I did like and had high hopes for.Aberdeen possibly feared frequent call-ups to Peru u20s training camps and matches !

Signed for Ayr Utd. 2 year deal.

Seb Ross away to Stenhousemuir on a season long loan.

Great move for the lad as I think some players, Wright and Smith for example, missed an opportunity to take a loan move to go and play 40 games earlier on.

Another squad player gone then. We must still be due another 5 maybe? In.

I hope we can get Tansey out soon.

Would quite like to see Wright stay and given a chance again but seems he's not favoured at the moment.

Something clearly went on behind the scenes last season. To be so highly involved then get frozen out pretty much the whole season was odd despite him saying how big a part he'd be playing in the season.

Something clearly went on behind the scenes last season. To be so highly involved then get frozen out pretty much the whole season was odd despite him saying how big a part he'd be playing in the season.

Yeah was very suspicious.

Someone in here talking about the friendly the other night said something along the lines of Wright looked really up for the fight to claim a place...

But a) might be irrelevant given the above and b) he's started the last 2 season very well and just disappeared off the team sheet as the season progressed

What I had heard was a couple teams enquired about taking Wright on loan, Wright was keen to get out and get game time... but McInnes said no he needs him at pittodrie, wright was obviously annoyed as he wanted to play every week and threw a bit of a tantrum.. so McInnes gave him the same treatment as everyone else as to say "you'll do as your told"

I feel bad for Wright, definite potential there McInnes maybe just wants him to kick on and prove it to him in training/attitude etc. He looks like he's bulked up a wee bit too for this season

• 2 weeks later...

Teuchter Farmers XI v Young Dons.

HT 0-3. FT 2-3.

Fitness?

Half-time at Harlaw Park. Inverurie Locos 0 Aberdeen XI 3. Dons scorers - Brown (4), Anderson (20), Dangana (38).

Full time at Harlaw Park. Inverurie Locos 2 Aberdeen XI 3. The young Dons hang on to win despite second half goals from Gauld (52) and Souter (90).

The SPFL is pleased to confirm that it will operate Reserves Leagues for season 2018/19, comprising 27 clubs across two divisions.

The Reserve Leagues, which replace the Development Leagues, have been introduced following discussions at the Competitions Working Group over the last 18 months.

The Competitions Working Group, which is attended by Malky Mackay (Scottish FA Performance Director), representatives from all four SPFL Divisions and was previously chaired by Ian Maxwell, was of the view that it would benefit the development of young players if they were playing alongside more experienced players on a more regular basis.

As such, there are no age restrictions with regard to participation in the Reserve Leagues (other than a minimum age of 16).

These changes complement recent amendments to loan regulations which provide, generally, that any player loaned out by an SPFL club is eligible to return and play in non-first team football for the lending club.

The first division of the Reserve League comprises 18 clubs, who will play each other once for a total of 17 matches across the season. Fixtures will usually be scheduled for Monday afternoons.

Reserve League 2 is made up of nine clubs, who will play each other once at home and once away for a total of 16 matches across the season. Fixtures will take place in midweek evenings.

Divisional Reserve League Cups will be played to provide additional games during the season, with the format mirroring the Betfred Cup in that any drawn group games will proceed to penalties with an additional bonus point available. Further details on the cup competitions will be confirmed in due course.

It is anticipated that Reserve League fixtures will be published later this week. The first division of the Reserve League is scheduled to start on Monday August 20, with Reserve League 2 kicking off the following midweek.

Participating clubs

Reserve League
Aberdeen
Celtic
Dundee
Dundee United
Dunfermline Athletic
Falkirk
Hamilton Academical
Heart of Midlothian
Hibernian
Kilmarnock