U20's Thread

Aye thought Porteous was incredible for them, can easily see him starting for Hibs next season and doing similar to McKenna next season. Thought Fraser Murray( I think thats his name) was a tidy wee player and Oli Shaw was a good outlet up front.

Do hope to see guys like Cambell, Anderson and Frank Ross given more minutes next season to speed up their development; think those 3 could become important players for us long term

Everyone see's games differently but I thought those three and some others had mares, our midfield sat too deep and Anderson never got a sniff. Virtanen was brought on at half time and seemed to be a second holding midfielder, was a baffling change, we couldn't get out of our half after that, first half hour we competed well.

Out of the Ross family Ethan was by far the best.

Everyone see's games differently but I thought those three and some others had mares, our midfield sat too deep and Anderson never got a sniff. Virtanen was brought on at half time and seemed to be a second holding midfielder, was a baffling change, we couldn't get out of our half after that, first half hour we competed well.

Out of the Ross family Ethan was by far the best.

Yup. First time I've watched them and his quick feet were the first thing I noticed. Just too small just now.

Could be argued losing that kind of game does more for the young loons. Learning experience and all that.

Lot of people seeing them for the first time and writing them all off, was clear Hibs were bigger and more physical, ref had a nightmare, should have sent at least one of them off. We ran out of steam and ideas, got bullied in the middle. Lot of good dons players there though, we'll see a few in the future.

Lot of people seeing them for the first time and writing them all off, was clear Hibs were bigger and more physical, ref had a nightmare, should have sent at least one of them off. We ran out of steam and ideas, got bullied in the middle. Lot of good dons players there though, we'll see a few in the future.

Ridiculous for anyone to right them off after seeing one game.

From what I saw Hibs players looked more mature - have more of their players have some first team experience?

Someone mentioned they could see Porteous playing for their first team next season - he's already played and scored for their first team I think.

From what I saw Hibs players looked more mature - have more of their players have some first team experience?

Someone mentioned they could see Porteous playing for their first team next season - he's already played and scored for their first team I think.

Yeah he has but you can tell that by how he plays. I don't think you could say any of the Aberdeen players look ready. Like you say you can't write them off but for those wondering why we don't play youngsters... I think we got the answers, especially at fullback positions.

Hibs had a squad that have been together for around 2 to 3 years with very little changes. That has shown up well in the league and now the cup this season. They looked just that bit more mature and older than our team over the 90 minutes. We certainly have guys who look like they have good technical ability like McLennan, Anderson and the Ross's. Campbell looks a good prospect but got to remember he is only 17 and hibs midfield were all good two years older.

In the 2nd half Deano and Miko were playing the same position, both holding midfield but at times as deep as the back 4, I thought that's where we lost it, we had very little going forward. Obviously playing to instruction, not sure what Sheerin was seeing or thinking.

Dangana bless him was out of his depth, Wells was the way better option. We needed big players.

He has indeed, as has Ollie Shaw - no surprise that they were the standout players last night. Porteous in particular is going to be a great prospect if he continues to develop, plays exactly like a young Alex McLeish.

I enjoyed the game last night and thought the young reds did well, though as others have pointed out they struggled the longer the game went on against bigger and more physical opponents. McLennan took his goal brilliantly and is full of tricks, and I can't agree with dayts on Frank Ross, I thought he was comfortably our best player - so good on the ball, always looking to make things happen.

Hibs had a squad that have been together for around 2 to 3 years with very little changes. That has shown up well in the league and now the cup this season. They looked just that bit more mature and older than our team over the 90 minutes. We certainly have guys who look like they have good technical ability like McLennan, Anderson and the Ross's. Campbell looks a good prospect but got to remember he is only 17 and hibs midfield were all good two years older.

How important/significant is that 2 year gap? Just interested.

Looking forward to seeing how the Ross brothers progress... hopefully they fill out physically, particularly the younger one.

I reckon if you are good enough, it doesn't matter how big or strong you are... however, the younger Ross looked like a pixie out there - and that is next to Hibs youth players! He'd be swept away by a stiff breeze!

How important/significant is that 2 year gap? Just interested.

Campbell is one of out biggest players - he's probably the strongest boy in our team, even though he's only 17. He is very composed, has a good range of passing, and looks very disciplined. IMO there is absolute no doubt he'd be a better option in the midfield role that AOC has occupied on plenty of occasions.

Campbell is one of out biggest players - he's probably the strongest boy in our team, even though he's only 17. He is very composed, has a good range of passing, and looks very disciplined. IMO there is absolute no doubt he'd be a better option in the midfield role that AOC has occupied on plenty of occasions.

Dean is tall but definitely has a bit of filling out to do. Can't imagine he is physically stronger than the likes of McLennan and Anderson at the moment.

If he adds a few kilos over the summer, come the start of next season, it will be hard for McInnes to justify not playing him.

Can see him being sent on a loan similar to Anderson and few others before hes even considered a first team player. Of course that depends on recruitment this summer.

If he adds a few kilos over the summer, come the start of next season, it will be hard for McInnes to justify not playing him.

Size and age should be secondary factors to nous/skill/ability/confidence, in my opinion. Forget about freaks like Messi, You need to playing for a club whose manager will endure short term 'pain' to be rewarded with long term 'gain'. Ferguson as an example. No guarantees with what he did with Giggs etc. Could have backfired and cost him his job. Hibs, Hearts doing it. Glasgow arseholes to a lesser extent. McKenna was almost a 'mistake'.

Campbell (as an example)? Chuck him in for the rest of the season. Where's the harm? For him or the team? Why should he be loaned out to play against hacks in lower scottish divisions? I don't get that.

Yeah he has but you can tell that by how he plays. I don't think you could say any of the Aberdeen players look ready. Like you say you can't write them off but for those wondering why we don't play youngsters... I think we got the answers, especially at fullback positions.

Its hard to judge isn't it as there's a little bit of chicken and egg situation - > some first team exposure really bringing along the development of players.

So our kids who've never really played in the first team are of course going to look poorer than Hibs kids who have that experience and learned from it, grew in confidence and so on.

Didn't see enough of the game to comment really but sounds like the full backs were very poor which is a shame as we really need players in those positions.

My ratings from last night.

Craddock 6. Did fine. Used ball well and didn't really put a foot wrong

Harvie 6. Has a lovely left foot. Had a good 1st half but frustrating 2nd half and fitness seemed an issue at end.

Harrington 5. For me our poorest player. Never got involved and looks abit week defensively and going forward

MacPherson 6. Good at bringing the ball out of defense and at times his passing is excellent. Has bombscare moments though but there is talent to work with.

Roscoe 7. Excellent aerially and knows when to play and when to go back to basics. Looks excellent prospect

Campbell 7. Looks an outstanding talent for his age. Not at best but even then you can see hes a player. Always has time on the ball and plays with his head up.

Seb Ross 5. By all means a great prospect but for me he was quiet here. Can get in good positions but wasn't involved enough.

Ethan Ross 7. Very slight but full of energy and enthusiasm. Has pace and has a real chance. A few things to iron out though

Frank Ross 6. Decent enough but given hes older I didn't think he was as good as Hibs boys from same age group.

Connor McLennon 7 Very good goal and a positive outlt whenever he got the ball. When hes in the game he looks terrific. Shame about his injury

Bruce Anderson 7 For me him Cambell and Roscoe are closest to 1st team. Looked a real livewire and has phenomenal pace and belief. Very impressed

Subs Virtanen 6 Good on the ball but not what we needed. Can see he has talent though

Dangana 5 Only got 1 or 2 touches but by time he was on our heads were down so difficult to get into it.

Wells 5 Got a minute

It was a good game and enjoyable match and occasion.Beforehand I thought it was going to be really close,maybe even extra time.Eventually the bigger and ultimately better team won and Hibs were worthy winners,Connor McLennan scored a fantastic goal,took a crossfield Sam Roscoe pass,brought it sublimely under control and dribbled inside along touchline,past one, two ,three players and as goalie and others converged swept the ball into the net.Great goal.Connor reminds me of a player,Gary Harkins,great touch and skills with the ball at his feet,but frustrating sometimes.

Poor performance by the young dons tonight, performed well until hibs equalised then completely bottled it. Very poor mentality. Makes me really worry for the future as there aren't many good players coming through the academy, finances will be tight due to the new stadium and the poor support from fans recently. This all will probably end up with us fighting relegation in the next few seasons.

• Downvote 6

Poor performance by the young dons tonight, performed well until hibs equalised then completely bottled it. Very poor mentality. Makes me really worry for the future as there aren't many good players coming through the academy, finances will be tight due to the new stadium and the poor support from fans recently. This all will probably end up with us fighting relegation in the next few seasons.

Nice first post. Make it your last.

I completely agree with my fellow don here. How are we going to fund the new stand? We get about 10k every second week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some interesting comments.

The manner of the defeat was so disappointing as I know we can play so much better. I think we needed more from our more experienced players, Frank especially, who is an outstanding talent and had the potential to be Aberdeen's match winner, just didn't influence the game in the way he can. I agree with Dayts that Toby Wells should have started, but that's just in hindsight as Danny Harvie was always going to play. I thought Sam Roscoe had a terrific game and it'll be a crying shame if he's not around the club next year in my opinion. I can't agree with him that Deano had a nightmare though. I thought he was one of only two players constantly demanding the ball and looking to take responsibility and make something happen. He maybe didn't influence the game as well in the attacking third but that was maybe down to the role he was playing, and where Seb Ross is usually doing his best work. Other than once in the opening few minutes I don't recall him giving possession away. All in all, a tough defeat to take as I know they can play better, but they've got to take that bitter experience to enjoy the good times all the more when they eventually come around.

In the 2nd half Deano and Miko were playing the same position, both holding midfield but at times as deep as the back 4, I thought that's where we lost it, we had very little going forward. Obviously playing to instruction, not sure what Sheerin was seeing or thinking.

Dangana bless him was out of his depth, Wells was the way better option. We needed big players.

Agree with that.

The game was lost in the middle of the park where hibs simply picked up our slack play and played where we weren't.

The use of the ball from back to midfield was terrible for large parts of the game.

Only real positive from the game was a brief spell from Mclennnan first half, Anderson also had a few good moments and Frank Ross had a few decent touches but the team looked worryingly tired towards the end.

As a big Frank Ross fan you will not be surprised that I thought he did well.Second half and near the end he was one of the few players still positive,still going forward,doing that wee shuffle that he does and one terrific run and shot near the end.Bruce Anderson was lively and shielded the ball well,missed a snip at the end.Connor McLennan,great talent,please avoid injury proneness ! Seb Ross was strangely quiet,he was neither midfield or forward. I think like many that Ethan could emerge as the best Ross in time.Aberdeen had a very young team most of whom can play in the Youth Cup for next year and the year after.And yes Ollie, Sam Roscoe has come on leaps and bounds at centre half in his time at Aberdeen.He is now in that eternal position,too good to be still playing in the new Reserve team,but not yet ready and good enough for the first team.His old defensive partner Scott McKenna's progress will give him encouragement.