U20's Thread

As a big Frank Ross fan you will not be surprised that I thought he did well.Second half and near the end he was one of the few players still positive,still going forward,doing that wee shuffle that he does and one terrific run and shot near the end.Bruce Anderson was lively and shielded the ball well,missed a snip at the end.Connor McLennan,great talent,please avoid injury proneness ! Seb Ross was strangely quiet,he was neither midfield or forward. I think like many that Ethan could emerge as the best Ross in time.Aberdeen had a very young team most of whom can play in the Youth Cup for next year and the year after.And yes Ollie, Sam Roscoe has come on leaps and bounds at centre half in his time at Aberdeen.He is now in that eternal position,too good to be still playing in the new Reserve team,but not yet ready and good enough for the first team.His old defensive partner Scott McKenna's progress will give him encouragement.

I'm not sure Frank Ross is as good as he thinks he is... His attitude with the first free kick was hardly conductive to a good team spirit by pushing his own player away. Every single one of his free kicks were poor.

• Admin

I can't wait to see what Bebo drags up on you. Good luck.

I think hes messed with the wrong board.

Go on @@Bebo make us proud.

Their first post was :

Our atmosphere is mince because we get about 12.5k in every week. Look at Hearts and Hibs for instance, teams we are just below in size are miles bigger supported than us. We need to gain more fans.

and add together that their posting location is Leith/Edinburgh, doesn't take sherlock holmes to see which team they may support.

Some interesting comments.

The manner of the defeat was so disappointing as I know we can play so much better. I think we needed more from our more experienced players, Frank especially, who is an outstanding talent and had the potential to be Aberdeen's match winner, just didn't influence the game in the way he can. I agree with Dayts that Toby Wells should have started, but that's just in hindsight as Danny Harvie was always going to play. I thought Sam Roscoe had a terrific game and it'll be a crying shame if he's not around the club next year in my opinion. I can't agree with him that Deano had a nightmare though. I thought he was one of only two players constantly demanding the ball and looking to take responsibility and make something happen. He maybe didn't influence the game as well in the attacking third but that was maybe down to the role he was playing, and where Seb Ross is usually doing his best work. Other than once in the opening few minutes I don't recall him giving possession away. All in all, a tough defeat to take as I know they can play better, but they've got to take that bitter experience to enjoy the good times all the more when they eventually come around.

Apologies Olly, nightmare was too strong a word to use, just felt especially in the second half him and Miko were far too deep, that will have been down to instruction.

Main thing on the night was your loon being able to play on after that horror tackle, the crunch noise was so loud. Miracle he wasn't injured, was the clearest red I've ever seen. The ref was a joke the whole night but that was his biggest clanger.

Apologies Olly, nightmare was too strong a word to use, just felt especially in the second half him and Miko were far too deep, that will have been down to instruction.

Main thing on the night was your loon being able to play on after that horror tackle, the crunch noise was so loud. Miracle he wasn't injured, was the clearest red I've ever seen. The ref was a joke the whole night but that was his biggest clanger.

Aye, it was a nasty one, Porteous himself said in a post match interview that he should have walked. Galling that he goes on to score the winner but that's football.

Scott Wright and Dan Harvie have made the Scotland U21 squad for the Toulon Tournament at the end of the season.

Interestingly, 16 year old Billy Gilmour has also been called up. Only seen him play in the victory shield, but did look a cut above at that level. Sounds like he's kicked on at Chelsea - scored in their FA Youth Cup win the other day.

Scott Wright and Dan Harvie have made the Scotland U21 squad for the Toulon Tournament at the end of the season.

Interestingly, 16 year old Billy Gilmour has also been called up. Only seen him play in the victory shield, but did look a cut above at that level. Sounds like he's kicked on at Chelsea - scored in their FA Youth Cup win the other day.

Billy's a good player. Watched him stroll the second leg of the cup final.

Strange that Wright and Harvie have both been called up, has Wright even been getting a game for our U20's?

Doesn't look a particularly strong U21 squad unfortunately... quite a few 19 & 20 year olds in there.

Well done to Dan Harvie getting in there at 19 y/o... but surprised me also, coming off an absolute horror show in the cup final. Interested to see more of Harvie - hopefully he just had a really, really bad day in the final.

Fine day for it in Forfar today. Finished 1-1 with Celtic. Dangana getting the opener by simply out muscling the defender and getting onto a long ball over the top. Celtic scored a last minute equaliser. Wasn't much between the sides. Dean Campbell went off at HT, presumably injured? The lad who replaced him (I think Barry) I thought did very well and helped link up between midfield and attack a lot better as Campbell and Virtanen were both sitting a bit deep in the first half. Another good performance from Ethan Ross too.

That was the last game of the season for the U20s so we might see news this week of which players are being kept or let go.

If the eligibility rules stay the same for next season the following players will be too old (but of course can play as one of the 5 overage players)

Toby Wells
Frank Ross
Sam Roscoe
Harlain Mbayo
Daniel Harvie
Ryan Harrington
David Craddock
Bruce Anderson

Of those I can see Harvie, Ross and Anderson staying for sure. I'd also like to see Roscoe kept on. Mbayo possibly for another season on loan - and see if he can get an injury free stretch. Harrington impressed in the first half of this season but not sure what the decision there will be.

It's a reserve league next season @@Donnet , 20's will be no more. An under 18 league will be coming in for the younger one's. Bit of good news as well, all home reserve league games will be at Coves new stadium, I'd hope they go for evening kick offs.

Any idea when an announcement on who's staying on will arrive?

It's a reserve league next season @@Donnet , 20's will be no more. An under 18 league will be coming in for the younger one's. Bit of good news as well, all home reserve league games will be at Coves new stadium, I'd hope they go for evening kick offs.

Had seen there was changes being discussed by clubs but hadn't seen any confirmation. Good news that they're going to be in Cove, had hoped that would be the case although I'll be surprised if they go evening kick offs for the whole season.

Fine day for it in Forfar today. Finished 1-1 with Celtic. Dangana getting the opener by simply out muscling the defender and getting onto a long ball over the top. Celtic scored a last minute equaliser. Wasn't much between the sides. Dean Campbell went off at HT, presumably injured? The lad who replaced him (I think Barry) I thought did very well and helped link up between midfield and attack a lot better as Campbell and Virtanen were both sitting a bit deep in the first half. Another good performance from Ethan Ross too.

That was the last game of the season for the U20s so we might see news this week of which players are being kept or let go.

If the eligibility rules stay the same for next season the following players will be too old (but of course can play as one of the 5 overage players)

Toby Wells

Frank Ross

Sam Roscoe

Harlain Mbayo

Daniel Harvie

Ryan Harrington

David Craddock

Bruce Anderson

Of those I can see Harvie, Ross and Anderson staying for sure. I'd also like to see Roscoe kept on. Mbayo possibly for another season on loan - and see if he can get an injury free stretch. Harrington impressed in the first half of this season but not sure what the decision there will be.

Not much in the first half, with just a few half chances created by both teams. Game opened up a bit more and I think we had the better of the chancesin the second half. Two good opportunities wasted by young Max Barry but he can be more than happy with his contribution to the game. Disappointing to lose the goal at the time we did. Danga should have ran it into the corner instead of trying to dribble into the box and young Kev Hanratty had the chance to do the same. Bit of naivety from him, but hes a talented lad, and only an under 15 player so cant criticise too much. To be fair to Celtic they still had a lot to do to create the goal and they took it very well. Ethan Ross has had a great few months since he broke into the team and is getting stronger every game and Sam Roscoe had another terrific game. He and Lloyd Robertson kept the great white hope Aitchison pretty quiet for the most part.

Campbell subbed at half time and Bruce Anderson after an hour was pre planned as they are both in the 20 for tomorrow. Hopefully one, or both can make it onto the bench.

Toby Wells

Frank Ross

Sam Roscoe

Harlain Mbayo

Daniel Harvie

Ryan Harrington

David Craddock

Bruce Anderson

the u20s league being removed is interesting as certainly more argument to retain these players (guys who have done 3-4 years as professional but not broken into matchday squad) than there was in previous years.

Frank Ross already has a contract and would expect him to replace Wright in and around the squad next season (with Wright out on a season long loan).

Beyond that I'd expect more to be going than staying.

Reading Sheerin's comments it would sound like Anderson is 'coming back'.

Roscoe and Mbayo comment it's time for them to play men's football.... so maybe infer one released and one retained with a view to a season long loan somewhere

• 2 weeks later...

"He is probably the biggest Aberdeen supporter at the club, as big as any supporter in the Aberdeen end. It was special for him seeing his dad and his uncle in the crowd. A special moment for him and it is good to see that."

Derek McInnes on Dean Campbell who featured in the final match of the season at Celtic Park. #OneOfOurOwn

"He is probably the biggest Aberdeen supporter at the club, as big as any supporter in the Aberdeen end. It was special for him seeing his dad and his uncle in the crowd. A special moment for him and it is good to see that."

Derek McInnes on Dean Campbell who featured in the final match of the season at Celtic Park. #OneOfOurOwn

Ebbe is definitely bigger.