Adam Rooney Signed

The reason we never get any decent crosses in is because we play our wingers on their weak side so they are forever cutting back onto their stronger foot.

Wingers on their weak side would work if we had overlapping full backs.

Our strikers simply don't get the service to score more regularly, how many clear cut chances did Vernon have on Saturday.......0!!

Yeah, fancy that? McGinn on the right and Hayes on the left? Nae Rocket_Science, is it?

Don't get why managers these days mix it up? I mean, Robson on the right wing FFS! Takes him so long to get to the byeline, and then swap onto his left foot, chance is gone.

As much as I think Vernon, Zola and Magennis aren't good enough, it would be nice, particularly at home, if whoever is playing up front actually got chances to score from.

There's hardly anything for a striker to get on the end of in games at Pittodrie. I suppose that's largely down to the point I made in the match thread about lack of natural full backs meaning no overlap to pull guys out and/or get crosses in.

If we're going to bring a new striker in, we need to make sure we do something to ensure whoever it is gets plenty delivered to them at home. It doesn't seem to be so much of a problem in away games.

The reason we never get any decent crosses in is because we play our wingers on their weak side so they are forever cutting back onto their stronger foot.

Wingers on their weak side would work if we had overlapping full backs.

Our strikers simply don't get the service to score more regularly, how many clear cut chances did Vernon have on Saturday.......0!!

Might be completely off the mark, not going to claim I understand the intricacies of fitba tactics but this is how I see it anyway.

Our lone striker has to move and move a lot to create space for himself to receive the ball, hold it up and then use the support of our wide midfielders (the guys you are calling wingers). No one we have is capable of this type of play. Neither has the first touch, Vernon is too slow to create his own space and the same can be said for Zola. Magennis just doesnt have the football brain. At the moment we have box playing target men that can score when the ball is swung in at their heads but are the sort that can take a ball down, control it closely and then distribute and thats what the system we play calls for (I think anyway)

The wide midfielders are put on the opposite sides to their preferred foot so they do cut in and support the lone striker. Its meant to be 3 against 2 in the centre of the park and not 1 v 2 and then Hayes v a full back and McGinn v a full back. wingers are for 4-4-2, the system we play now needs supporting midfielders and not bombing down the wing flying crosses in, IMO.

I think we sometimes suffer from Hayes naturally sticking to the byline and McGinn trying to beat men when he's better at finding the space and finishing off so we're not balanced enough. Pawlett or whoever is playing just behind the lone striker should also be feeding off him by being there to recieve the ball once the striker has controlled it, held it up and its Pawlets job to then be there to take the ball and play the pass out to the sides or back to the striker once he's moved and found or pointed to a bit of space he thinks he can exploit but because the hold up play isnt there the wide midfield isnt getting up in time to support so we're loosing the ball and it all gets a little scrappy.

We're really good on the break but teams sit in against us now that we're winning so we dont get that opportunity as much now as we were at the start of the season and we are also pressing hard which means we are sometimes leaving the back 4 exposed as there isnt a lot of pace in there at the moment so we can be caught by balls over the top when we are pushing up to press. A couple of times against ITC Tate was caught for pace, Considine is no full back and Anderson, while still pretty fast once he gets going does need a second to get going so we are vulnerable at long cross field balls over the top of our defense.

A striker that has a better first touch and can gather the ball in and hold it up along with a couple of pacey full backs would see us right up there behind Celtic IMO. I've nothing against any of the players we have though, I think we just need to use them slightly better and if need be change the system to suit the players we have at the moment rather than trying to get them to play a system that will give us the football we want to see at Pittodrie but only if our lone striker has his best game, every game. I'd rather see Pawlett and Hayes on the wings and McGinn up front with Vernon or Zola than the way we are set up now. Loosing Wylde also takes that option away from us a bit though as he would've been good to use as the old fashioned winger that i think some are looking for from the comments above.

At the end of the day though its something like 2 defeats in 10 games, if you offered me that last season or the season before or the one before that I'd have bit your hand off for it.

Might be completely off the mark, not going to claim I understand the intricacies of fitba tactics but this is how I see it anyway.

Our lone striker has to move and move a lot to create space for himself to receive the ball, hold it up and then use the support of our wide midfielders (the guys you are calling wingers). No one we have is capable of this type of play. Neither has the first touch, Vernon is too slow to create his own space and the same can be said for Zola. Magennis just doesnt have the football brain. At the moment we have box playing target men that can score when the ball is swung in at their heads but are the sort that can take a ball down, control it closely and then distribute and thats what the system we play calls for (I think anyway)

The wide midfielders are put on the opposite sides to their preferred foot so they do cut in and support the lone striker. Its meant to be 3 against 2 in the centre of the park and not 1 v 2 and then Hayes v a full back and McGinn v a full back. wingers are for 4-4-2, the system we play now needs supporting midfielders and not bombing down the wing flying crosses in, IMO.

I think we sometimes suffer from Hayes naturally sticking to the byline and McGinn trying to beat men when he's better at finding the space and finishing off so we're not balanced enough. Pawlett or whoever is playing just behind the lone striker should also be feeding off him by being there to recieve the ball once the striker has controlled it, held it up and its Pawlets job to then be there to take the ball and play the pass out to the sides or back to the striker once he's moved and found or pointed to a bit of space he thinks he can exploit but because the hold up play isnt there the wide midfield isnt getting up in time to support so we're loosing the ball and it all gets a little scrappy.

We're really good on the break but teams sit in against us now that we're winning so we dont get that opportunity as much now as we were at the start of the season and we are also pressing hard which means we are sometimes leaving the back 4 exposed as there isnt a lot of pace in there at the moment so we can be caught by balls over the top when we are pushing up to press. A couple of times against ITC Tate was caught for pace, Considine is no full back and Anderson, while still pretty fast once he gets going does need a second to get going so we are vulnerable at long cross field balls over the top of our defense.

A striker that has a better first touch and can gather the ball in and hold it up along with a couple of pacey full backs would see us right up there behind Celtic IMO. I've nothing against any of the players we have though, I think we just need to use them slightly better and if need be change the system to suit the players we have at the moment rather than trying to get them to play a system that will give us the football we want to see at Pittodrie but only if our lone striker has his best game, every game. I'd rather see Pawlett and Hayes on the wings and McGinn up front with Vernon or Zola than the way we are set up now. Loosing Wylde also takes that option away from us a bit though as he would've been good to use as the old fashioned winger that i think some are looking for from the comments above.

At the end of the day though its something like 2 defeats in 10 games, if you offered me that last season or the season before or the one before that I'd have bit your hand off for it.

Pretty much summed up exactly my take on our forward play at the moment.

We don't the the required sort of centre forward for the system at the moment.

We need forward who:

1) Has the mobility to find space

2) Can control the ball

3) Can then pass the ball, lay it off whatever

4) Can score goals

If you look at our 3 primary centre forwards this season none have all 4 of the above attributes. Most are lucky to have 2.

We need a different type of forward player to get the most from this system.

I think its also worth Mcinnes being brave enough to swap the wide midfielders on occasion to mix it up.

And even more brave to be prepared to find and play a centre forward who is not be as big as the 3 we have and be prepared to play the ball over the top or into feet - and by doing so live with the consequences of taking away that long ball option which tends to be necessary to take the pressure of defenders when oppostion teams push up the park.

Good post Spamx3.

My preferred option would be McGinn up front, Pawlett in behind, Hayes on the left and A.N.Other (to be signed) on the right. McGinn arguably does have the kind of movement you allude to and is already good at bringing others into play (at least, he is when not attempting some daft mazy single-handed dismantling of the opposition defence like an over-excited 12 year-old who's just worked out that he is half-decent at football).

The thing about playing wingers on the 'wrong' flank absolutely does my box in. I've heard it referred to as 'inverse wingers', and it was terribly voguey about 3 years ago; Bayern were early adopters when they started faffing about with playing Ribery on the left and Robben on the right. I think the obvious point there is that if you've got Ribery and Robben in your team then it might just work, but most of us don't have that kind of luxury!

If we get him I think he might do ok.

But even if he doesn't set the heather alight I think its still a really good sign that McInnes realises our striking options are a weakness and is willing to bring i a replacement. Some previous managers would have been happy to keep faith with what we have and just hope they suddenly come good.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else moves out of the club before the window closes.

Looking at a permanent deal apparently.

Rooney set for a move

Date published: 22 January 2014

ADAM Rooney is set for a permanent transfer to Aberdeen, after gaining permission to talk to the Scottish Premier League.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/9/sport-news/84280/rooney-set-for-a-move?

edit:

Assume that means "talk to the premier league club"

Yes - he wouldn't travel to Aberdeen have a medical and then think WTF at being offered £1k a week. Deal or ballpark deal would be agreed before travelling and in this day and age probably even before finalising the deal with Oldham. Perhaps the 'fee' is £0 and a percentage if he is sold on for a fee in the future.