Missing Plane

tutankamun

• 3 months later...

Flight left Amsterdam and was heading to KL.

With presumably a large number of Dutch nationals on board I can't see the Netherlands taking this one lying down, and as they are an integral NATO member nation there must be a chance that shit could indeed be about to get real.

On a side note, how much bad luck can befall one airline!? Awful news.

Flight left Amsterdam and was heading to KL.

With presumably a large number of Dutch nationals on board I can't see the Netherlands taking this one lying down, and as they are an integral NATO member nation there must be a chance that shit could indeed be about to get real.

On a side note, how much bad luck can befall one airline!? Awful news.

I'd imagine there will be passengers from all over Europe considering its one of the main connection hubs in Europe and KL is one of the biggest business districts in Asia.

The worlds getting more and more like a series of 24 by the day.

On a positive note... this should distract the Cloggies tonight.

If we're smart we'll pipe Dutch news radio into their dressing room prior to the game.

I don't want to sound cynical, but when life gives you lemons.

• Upvote 6

Malaysian air liner shot down over Ukraine.

When I first heard the headline, for 5 seconds I thought the missing plane had reappeared and had been shot down in a suicide mission.

Maybe a link between the two MA pilots, this one decides to fly into restricted air space in the knowledge its likely to get shot down. Double suicide pact :sherlock:

From the Beeb

19:00:

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

From the Beeb

19:00:

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

Smoking gun if ever there was one!

Smoking gun if ever there was one!

Weeeell, not really.

If the Rebs (read Russian Special Forces) did capture one from the Ukranians that just means that the Rebs (read Russian Special forces) and the Ukranian military both have these systems in their inventory.. assuming it wasn't the only BUK in the Ukranian inventory.

All we 'know' if this is true is that both sides have the system that might have shot down the plane, not who pulled the trigger.

I think the Ukrainians have BUK-1Ms, as that is what they illegally sold to Georgia when helping to forment the South-Ossetia war (Russia insists it lost several planes to these BUK missiles in the Ossetian conflict). So if the Ukrainian "Russians" have captured one, its likely one of this model.

BUK-1M goes to 72,000 feet, a Boeing-777 (the missing plane) cruises at up to 43,000 feet (this is for passenger aircraft, commercial variants much lower, due to load carrying)

Militia could easily have shot the plane down, probably mistaking its radar signature for a strike aircraft coming to get them , like when the US Navy shot down an Iranian passenger airliner in the late 1980s.

20:27:

BBC Monitoring reports more from the conversation between militants allegedly intercepted by the Ukrainian Security Service.

The conversation starts with Igor Bezler, a key militant, apparently telling a Russian security official by phone that the pro-Russian militants have shot down a plane.

I think the Ukrainians have BUK-1Ms, as that is what they illegally sold to Georgia when helping to forment the South-Ossetia war (Russia insists it lost several planes to these BUK missiles in the Ossetian conflict). So if the Ukrainian "Russians" have captured one, its likely one of this model.

BUK-1M goes to 72,000 feet, a Boeing-777 (the missing plane) cruises at up to 43,000 feet (this is for passenger aircraft, commercial variants much lower, due to load carrying)

Militia could easily have shot the plane down, probably mistaking its radar signature for a strike aircraft coming to get them , like when the US Navy shot down an Iranian passenger airliner in the late 1980s.

It's happened more recently

"On 4 October 2001, a Russian Tupolev-154 airliner exploded and plunged into the Black Sea, killing all 78 people on board. Terrorism was immediately suspected but US sources said the aircraft had been shot down by a misfired Ukrainian missile."

Why the fuck they were flying over a War Zone is anyone's guess...

It's happened more recently

"On 4 October 2001, a Russian Tupolev-154 airliner exploded and plunged into the Black Sea, killing all 78 people on board. Terrorism was immediately suspected but US sources said the aircraft had been shot down by a misfired Ukrainian missile."

Why the fuck they were flying over a War Zone is anyone's guess...

They probably figured 30,000 feet was safe enough, and technically it's not a war zone as such. Not by any legal declaration, at least.

But, yeah, flying over an area where they've been shooting down planes seems to be a little bit cavalier.