Aberdeen V Fc Groningen (0 - 0)

0-0 isn't great, really needed to be a bit more adventurous at home. Play with 2 up front?

I think it was Ehlex Smith that once said 0-0 at home is better than a 2-1 win. It's decent as we've not conceded and think we're more than capable of snatching a goal over there. Score draw would do.

I think it was Ehlex Smith that once said 0-0 at home is better than a 2-1 win. It's decent as we've not conceded and think we're more than capable of snatching a goal over there. Score draw would do.

It certainly forces them to come at us.

Dniproesq.

Luckily the best player on the park that night is still our stallion between the posts.

Silly post. Atmosphere was magic tonight. Away fans were in good spirits.

Yes, here's my first tip.

Get a job.

The Groningen fans were in fine voice, our fans were largely dire in comparison. Started getting our voice in the second half but early on you'd be forgiven for thinking the Dutch team were at home.

I thought that was a good performance overall, just lacked a cutting edge up front on a couple of occasions. First half in particular we held the ball well, were patient and controlled the game largely.

Far from out of it, we're well capable of getting a goal away from home and seeing the tie out.

This team has progressed massively from where we were a couple of years ago.

I quite enjoyed the game for 0-0.

Both teams probing without ever really threatening each other.

I think this Dutch team maybe have another gear to move up to, but then so do we. We're a different team away from home and we can score over there.

We're solid at the back, so can keep a clean sheet.

All still to play for as we're a better team away from home.

I think this Dutch team maybe have another gear to move up to, but then so do we. We're a different team away from home and we can score over there.

Agree with that, a little disappointed we didn't stick 2 up front for the last 10 minutes to try and win the game but I suppose not conceding is a big plus.

Goodwillie got on for 15mins? Was he any good and did he get a decent reception?

Seemed to get a decent reception, didn't get the ball much, did one good hold up / lay off / show of strength type move, nothing exceptional. Truth be told I thought he looked quite unfit but I guess that's to be expected.

Also, I would have preferred Rooney to stay on with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Site Sponsor

Seemed to get a decent reception, didn't get the ball much, did one good hold up / lay off / show of strength type move, nothing exceptional. Truth be told I thought he looked quite unfit but I guess that's to be expected.

Also, I would have preferred Rooney to stay on with him.

Totally agree on his level of fitness.

I also would have preferred that Rooney should have stayed on with McGinn being hooked and replaced by the Willie.

Definitely got more than a decent chance now. Would have taken it before the game. Only listened on the radio but sounded as if set pieces were poor which is not good enough when a game is on a knife edge. Chances need to be taken. However, we're still in it and have a chance.

I nearly booked up for Holland last week, hoping to get in the home end, until a Dutch-based Dandy told me that:

They regularly sell out their home games

The Dutch police are massively strict on letting away fans in the home end

Gronigen have a fair few nutters who'd happily batter any Dons fans in their end. Apparently they also have some 'alliance' with Hibs????

Will watch it on TV instead. Premier Sports, Channel 428 on Sky. Have to pay for it though.

I semi enjoyed that for a 0-0. Thought we were poor first and last 10 minutes. In between nothing to suggest we can't beat them over there. If you could clone a team like ours then Groningen are our double. So similar in every way. We will score over in Holland.

Thought Robson was poor. Our set pieces were honking. McGinn was poor. Hate having Robson, Jack & Flood in centre midfield together. ZERO creativity. 0-0 is by no means a bad result.

Their number 10 looked good - exactly what we lack in midfield. Their "star man" winger no 11 was breathing out his arse after 40 minutes.

Really looking forward to Holland now.

Taking on a team playing their first competitive fixture, I'm disappointed that we didn't go after them.

They'll be delighted with the result. Silver lining that we didn't concede an away goal. If we can nick something over there on the counter attack then maybe we have a chance, however it sounds like they are very strong at home.

Is that an official prediction?

My personal opinion is that we needed 2-0 at home. We are still in it but seems a long shot.

In years gone by, facing a second leg against Dutch opposition, I'd be fearing a 4 or 5 goal humping over there... they'll be much better with a competitive fixture under their belts. however - and maybe it's a measure of my increasing optimism - I still think we're an outside chance of sneaking a 1-1.

Indeed. We score more freely away as well.

I fancy our chances.

Will likely lump on the probable decent odds you'll now be getting for us to progress.

Wasn't that impressed with them and felt we showed them too much respect at times.

Edit: oh aye - set pieces tonight were fucking atrocious.

Aye they were fucking woeful.

Was going absolutely nuts as they floated in time after time into the giants in their back line or the humungous lump of a keeper.

A keeper who I reckon is pish.

The shot by Pawlett was weak and right into his midriff but he still made a total cunt of it.

Canna believe we didnae fire a few low in fae the edge o the box at him.

He'd tak aboot an oor to get doon.

Goodwillie got on for 15mins? Was he any good and did he get a decent reception?

Aye. Looked lively enough. Decent touch and lay offs. Game a bit tight and nae opportunity to hit onything like.

sounds like they are very strong at home.

Won 9, Drew 5, Lost 3 at home last season.

4 of those draws being score draws.

I fancy us.

Day after thoughts:

Hayes is one of the best attacking wingers in Scottish football and we play him at left back, it's so stupid.

McGinn on the left midfield is shite, he just hides. He was utterly useless last night. Every time he put a ball into the box it was to the back post or to the keepers hands, he really needs to work on that side of his game. It was ridiculous the amount of crosses from dead balls that he put straight to the keeper. If he is going to play, it has to be behind the striker.

Goodwillie for McGinn is the sub that SHOULD have happened. 4-5-1 at home against a team that we could have beaten with creativity is an absolute nightmare and such negative tactics. Why when we had 5 in midfield did we seem to get so over run in there?

Groningen are very confident on the ball but have nothing upfront that really concerned me...

That said, different game over there.

Totally agree with this.

You should play your best players in their best positions and plug any problem positions with lesser players, I just don't understand why we would take one of our most attacking players and punt him in a defensive position!

Time to get a proper left back........pull the finger out and get Shinnie!!!

• Upvote 3