Aberdeen V Dundee United (0 - 3)

I thought he might have gave that Monkana boy a game or at least a run out since we were missing johnny..I thought the decision to bring Low on was poor should have been a more attack minded substitution but thats just me..

Dissapointing day all round though and hope we get up dust off and beat Killie on Wednesday...

It was good to see a decent away support at the stadium makes a difference that..

All in all shite game shite day, onwards and upwards..

COYR

• Site Sponsor

Folk who are on about a Plan B: McInnes did change it up, thus did have a Plan B. It just didn't work.

He brought Low on far too late and I think should have given the loan winger a run out. Game was shot at 2-0 so why not try to give these players time to show what they can do.

Nicky Low did more in the ten minutes he had than the entire midfield before him.

• Site Sponsor

Which is excatly the point that both these drama queens and Bitter Together folk are missing. McInnes stuck Pawlett out on the left and looked to get the ball to him. That was different to the approach we were taking first half, which was more direct and through the middle.

That we created more chances when Pawlett went wide, helped. But delivery wasn't great or we were unlucky with timing on occasions.

Unfortunately, Messi was suspended or we could have taken him on to single handedly beat every Utd player on the pitch and nutmeg their keeper.

PS, off topic I know, the plan B for currency is well documented if you wanna look for the info.

Page 4 I believe.

It's just a shame that going into the new season and it's the same problem areas we had last season not being addressed:

- Robson, Jack and Flood in the same midfield. This has almost never worked. Jack at least looked good at times, which is more than can be said for the other two. The thing with Robson is that I usually find he's influential to the point that you can generally tell what sort of game the team will have based on what sort of game Robson is having. And he had a stinker yesterday.

- McGinn's attitude

- no left back

- Clangers. We defended very poorly yesterday, but I wonder how much of that was down to the defence's lack of confidence in a keeper who traditionally bottles it against Utd

- Pawlett being easily marked out of games, and us having no contingency for that

Hayes and Anderson were both a big miss yesterday. Taylor I thought was poor but as I said to my mates, I think he's the sort of player that would benefit playing next to Anderson. But if Anderson and Reynolds are both fit/available, that won't happen.

I would rather have seen Logan at left back and Jack at right back if we were really struggling for places.

My main gripe was that there was a complacency about the time, the feeling that they just had to show up to win. This is a dangerous attitude against any team, but especially a team like Utd where such an attitude isn't really justified. I thought McInnes had started drumming out this attitude from them

First game of the season though, there's a long way to go so I'm not panicking yet. Sadly there wasn't really anything positive to take from yesterday's game. It just always hurts that little bit more when losing to Utd, especially with that odious cunt McNamara in charge. They weren't any great shakes, and while I feel we deserved to lose, they certainly didn't deserve to win

P.S. Collum is an absolute disgrace of a referee but as I heard someone rightfully say at that point in the game yesterday, it wasn't his fault we were 2-0 down

Just seen the highlights for the first time (I listened to the game on the radio yesterday afternoon), it appears that we may have been slightly unlucky and it didn't look like a 3-0 game.

Taylor's howler for the opener, although still pretty criminal, wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting, the United boy still had a lot to do and it's actually a really good finish. (BTW folk blaming Langfield for that goal probably shouldn't be allowed out without a carer). Their second is just a damn good goal, really nice football and clinical counter-attacking. We then missed all manner of chances (McGinn FFS, horrible miss at the back post) and should have had a penalty when Rooney went down under the keeper's challenge. The third was just one of those goals which happens when a team has poured forward trying to snatch a lifeline back into a game.

Horrible result, but I still saw enough in those highlights to reassure me that we will basically be fine this season. As I suggested in my earlier post we maybe needed a wake-up call and by God United gave us one.

He brought Low on far too late and I think should have given the loan winger a run out. Game was shot at 2-0 so why not try to give these players time to show what they can do.

Nicky Low did more in the ten minutes he had than the entire midfield before him.

I agree with that. It's one thing McInnes deserves to be criticised for: his substitutions. Even last season I thought they were questionable at times, more for the lack of them rather than those he actually made, but it only really became a problem that we all began to notice by the end of the season. Robson should never have been allowed to come back on after going down the tunnel (and should have been replaced by Low then) and the third sub should have been used (Smith on to go through the middle when Pawlett was put out on the left perhaps?)

There was a change at half time though, which I took as being his 'Plan B', when Rooney replaced Robson. Because it didn't work, though, some people just choose to ignore it and claim we didn't change things about from start to finish.

I never said it was to highlight anything. You are making assumptions.

I'm fairly sure I could last longer than you on The Weakest Link.

So you just boldened some random words to try to make yourself look like you were making a point, regardless of how illogical it looked compared to your own response?

No, I'm fairly sure you ARE the weakest link. Goodbye!

Agree Rossa, seems stubborn re subs, evident last season. No point having the winger on loan if he isnt going to play him.

Contrary to popular belief (in these here circles at least), McInnes is much better placed to decide if a player is ready to come on and make an impact. However, that doesn't stop folk having an opinion. It's just that Dek does this for a day job. Does anyone else on here practice football coaching of a professional club as a 9 to 5? Thought not.

Everyone keeps talking about the bench not being used, it's because it's not good enough. There's only one or two players who are good enough to come on. We didn't strengthen this summer. I actually think Our bench was arguably better last year.

Taylor needs to be given more time but early indications aren't great. Goodwillie needs to really work hard and show more desire when playing. I'm confident the lad from Brighton Monakana is going to be good. It is just the start of the season however we need to get off to a good start by getting a result against Killie and putting together a good string of results. Utd will slip up this season giving us the chance to make amends for Saturdays result.

For all the praise McInnes rightly got last season, I think we can better judge his credentials after a 2nd season in charge where his philosophies, tactics etc have bed in and has a squad he feels is up to the challenge. Far too early to be hitting the panic button though and as disappointing as it is to lose our season opener, it’s hardly any sort of indicator towards a backwards slide for the rest of the campaign. Win on Wednesday and it’ll largely be forgotten about.

Derek did admit post match he perhaps should have freshened things up, even Richard Gordon made the point that most of our bench were recognised first team players so it’s not like it wasn’t an option open to him. I’d be concerned it fitness was to blame however, given we’ve already played about 10 games prior and the rest period was no different to playing a midweek tie.

Guest milne_afc

Everyone keeps talking about the bench not being used, it's because it's not good enough. There's only one or two players who are good enough to come on. We didn't strengthen this summer. I actually think Our bench was arguably better last year.

Of the 7 listed subs yesterday, McInnes signed three of them and gave the rest their first pro contracts or extensions. His use of subs is a definite weakness.

What an overreaction over a defeat.

We can't afford to pay for another 3-4 top drawer players to sit on the bench, plus we've got to pull utilise the youth coming through. You can't have it both ways.

On the bench we had Rooney, 2 decent young midfielders, a loanie who may or may not be any good, a sub goalie, and 2 defenders.

we were missing 2 keys players in Hayes and Anderson, so even if you put them on the bench, I think we've got as strong a squad as anyone else outside of Celtic.

A Marathon is Marathon gadjee!!!!

The players dinna run 26 miles in a match do they?

Not sure how running 100 marathons in a 100 days, at what I assume will be a walking pace by the time he completes the first one or two, compares to a football player having to be at the top of his fitness in every game. They won't get away with "just getting by" as saturday showed, they need to be at their peak.

Watched the goals again on RedTV. Dow anticipated that back pass and was practically level with Taylor when he made the pass.

Again, just for the avoidance of doubt.... anyone, in the slightest, blaming Langfield for that 1st goal, please state your name below so you can be outed as a complete and utter retard.

Fuck off you prick.

Taylor was 100% to blame for the first goal, however, if we had a better keeper, we would not have conceded two of those goals.

Fuck off you prick.

Taylor was 100% to blame for the first goal, however, if we had a better keeper, we would not have conceded two of those goals.

So you agree that he was blameless for the 1st? Why bother adding your name to the list of retards then?

Langfield was not the issue on Sunday.... nor was he in most games last season.

Love you too.... prick xxx

Fkn unreal the amount of over protection the team get from some fans.

Bought off by a semi decent season & now they can get away with anything eh.

Nobody is writing off the whole season & the team but we are entitled to judge the team/manager on a game to game basis also.

The team & manager got & deserved full credit in the Europa games & equally the team/manager are getting & deserve to have their failings at home to Utd pointed out.

We play a game we discuss the game & how it's gone. That's how football works.

We don't just discuss the good games & wins & write off the bad games & losses & the sooner some fans accept that the less frustrated they'd get & start accepting that their team is not bullet proof.

Losing at home to Utd 3-0 is NEVER acceptable & no fkn excuses are good enough & for that reason it is most certainly going to be picked apart until we realise that pretty much all of the team/manager were in some way to blame but Clangers most of all imo

So you agree that he was blameless for the 1st? Why bother adding your name to the list of retards then?

Langfield was not the issue on Sunday.... nor was he in most games last season.

Love you too.... prick xxx

Yes I agree he was blameless for the 1st, but I think we deserve a better keeper than him. And with a better keeper in goals, we could have avoided losing two goals on sunday.

PS the fuck you was for your self righteousness calling anyone who disagreed with you a retard.

Prick.

• Upvote 2