Dundee V Aberdeen (2 - 1)

After last weeks backs to the wall stuff it was odd McInnes set out his stall to have a very open game for the whole 96 minutes. Made his intentions clear from the off by naming Pawlett in traditional central midfield - a signal of attacking intent or a signal lack of defensive intent more so.

The starting line up cost us more than any lack of substitutions.

Looking for positives - no clubs are poaching any of our coaching staff or players in the near future.

Would think many will have an eye on Hayes, he was excellent, again.

If you're going to be too cautious, things like today are inevitable. Didn't Sir negative of McInnes learn anything from the last game of last season. People moan about that Motherwell goal but we had it coming and only had ourselves to blame.

I really feel for those great fans, superb support again today, gutted they went home disappointed. I feel our support is taken for granted, do the players care about losing today, I think not, they don't give a damn. I don't like the attitude in our team, I don't see any desire to improve as players, I don't know what style we are supposed to be playing, but it is dreadful to watch, no flow, it all happens far too slowly, we lump it up the park too much, and the last twenty minutes of games, deary me, it's like watching a bunch of drunken pot bellied neeps staggering about hoping to bump into the last bottle of holsten pils for sale one minute before closing time.

How come Goodwillie managed to just walk into our side, despite showing nothing beforehand, and I've got to say, I don't know how he is still in our side because he is awful. I'd rather see youth given a chance, than lazy signings like Goodwillie. Hardly good for team morale. And McInnes, take some risks for gods sake. Hope I'm wrong, but a big slump is not far away unless positive action is taken, and that begins with the boss.

• Upvote 1

Steems is spot on. It was classic ball watching by Considine.

He had no man to mark, he has to be alive and look at where the danger area is.

He should have been straight in behind Reynolds to provide cover.

Individual error, but these will cost Aberdeen all season if we do not convert chances up front.

That simple.

If we can take the red specs off though it was a good cup tie.

But hard to take being out the cup before end of November.

• Upvote 2

Massive over reaction from some of our fans, we can't win them all. Gutted we lost, thought we were the better team overall and didn't deserve to lose it.

Agree that McInnes should have changed it up a bit earlier, but we were dominating and pressing for a goal so not sure if he wanted to change it. End of the day, we didn't take our chances and that ultimately cost us.

Considine is just not good enough he is far too slow to be playing LB time and time again he was getting beaten for pace. I was actually quite happy with the rest of the teams performance they were creating the chances just couldn't finish them off. Goodwillie just needs a run of goals to get his confidence up the skill is there if he can get his confidence up he'll start firing them in would really like to see him and shankland get a game together. A good LB and we can definitely challenge anyone. Ryan Jack for me is the stand out player this season so far.

Fuck off with the 4th round being played in November. An utter nonsense.

Didn't feel like we were going to lose that game at any point today...until their second went in. We were pretty comfortable for the majority of the game and created a lot of good chances.

It's our inability to score those chances that is so frustrating. Partly down to the formation, partly down to sheer greed and wastefulness in front of goal.

I know that McInnes' hand is kind of forced by the injury situation (namely absence of Flood, Low and Robson), but surely there's a better formation we can use with that XI? If AR & DG are going to be on the pitch together, then they need to be beside each other as a front two. It doesn't work any other way.

After last weeks backs to the wall stuff it was odd McInnes set out his stall to have a very open game for the whole 96 minutes. Made his intentions clear from the off by naming Pawlett in traditional central midfield - a signal of attacking intent or a signal lack of defensive intent more so.

The starting line up cost us more than any lack of substitutions.

Looking for positives - no clubs are poaching any of our coaching staff or players in the near future.

1st paragraph tord.

That's the nature of cup fitba.

Touching on other comments regarding Goodwillie.

Who's got the patience to wait for Goodwillie to get a run of goals.

His hold up play may be superior to Rooney but he'd not scoring and we're suffering as a result.

The 4-5-1 may make us tight at the back but we're less of a threat scoring wise. Either play both up top in a 4-4-2 or drop Goodwillie.

Fuck off with the 4th round being played in November. An utter nonsense.

Didn't feel like we were going to lose that game at any point today...until their second went in. We were pretty comfortable for the majority of the game and created a lot of good chances.

It's our inability to score those chances that is so frustrating. Partly down to the formation, partly down to sheer greed and wastefulness in front of goal.

I know that McInnes' hand is kind of forced by the injury situation (namely absence of Flood, Low and Robson), but surely there's a better formation we can use with that XI? If AR & DG are going to be on the pitch together, then they need to be beside each other as a front two. It doesn't work any other way.

We totally lack that killer instinct in front of goal yet again and it's costing us games. I don't know why our forwards keep fucking up decent chances. If we lost today to a Dundee team that ran us ragged fair enough but they held out well a sneaked a good goal. Good luck to them but we lost that game missing chance after chance we blew it and they took advantage. This is becoming a common theme with games we loose. I think DM is a good manager but something needs to change with our forward line.

We totally lack that killer instinct in front of goal yet again and it's costing us games. I don't know why our forwards keep fucking up decent chances. If we lost today to a Dundee team that ran us ragged fair enough but they held out well a sneaked a good goal. Good luck to them but we lost that game missing chance after chance we blew it and they took advantage. This is becoming a common theme with games we loose. I think DM is a good manager but something needs to change with our forward line.

I actually think that it's something to do with the formation as to why we don't bury the chances. Today, you've got Rooney trying to win the ball in the air out wide before then making his way into the box to try and get on the end of something; he should be in the box in the first place and any movement should be to try and get into an area where he'll get to a ball played across, cut back or whatever before an opposition defender.

Take the chance today for example when he hits the side netting when Hayes pulled it back from the line: I know that it didn't play out exactly as I've put it above, but is that really the most natural position that a goal scorer like Rooney wants to be taking up for a ball played across the box? Even the chance from the kick off when Rooney played it across after the diagonal - is McGinn the man that should be sliding in to try and slot it away?

There's a real awkwardness to our play in the final third.

McGinn can finnish shit. Why not give him a go as a striker(at least he'll hopefully not be a sulky baw bag then)? Badcock is, when his heads right, a magic player but he's beating himself up after every miss. You just can't do that. Also Rooney isn't taking enough of his chances. One of GW or Rooney shifted and McGinn up front is worth a shot.

Switched off at both goals and never took our chances. Apart from that we dominated virtually the whole game, played some decent football and created more than enough chances to win the game. I don't know how anyone can blame the manager for today. Players have to take the responsibility for today's defeat but can't fault their efforts. Just wasn't our day. Gutted to be out the Scottish cup and makes United game that little bit more important now.

Switched off at both goals and never took our chances. Apart from that we dominated virtually the whole game, played some decent football and created more than enough chances to win the game. I don't know how anyone can blame the manager for today. Players have to take the responsibility for today's defeat but can't fault their efforts. Just wasn't our day. Gutted to be out the Scottish cup and makes United game that little bit more important now.

Aye it's one of those you can't really point the blame at any individuals. I just think there is a that lack of killing a game off in the squad, that wee bit of urgency to stretch that extra bit more to get goals so opposing team cannot nick it at the end. I really cannot believe watching this, Celtic and Mwell last year where we should have buried them by 60mins and we get mugged in the dying mins...............very frustrating!!

To be fair our bench is on the park because of injuries to anderson and Robson (both entirely predictable) and flood. We still have the players but a formation escapes us. Wasn't there today but from the sound of it Rooney out wide to try and fill the famous and arse gaggingly obvious hole at outside right was tried, and didn't work.

Oh and hatley knew fine to keep pinging balls into our three yard area. Bet he was disappointed that brown came into a game.

1st paragraph tord.

That's the nature of cup fitba.

Touching on other comments regarding Goodwillie.

Who's got the patience to wait for Goodwillie to get a run of goals.

His hold up play may be superior to Rooney but he'd not scoring and we're suffering as a result.

The 4-5-1 may make us tight at the back but we're less of a threat scoring wise. Either play both up top in a 4-4-2 or drop Goodwillie.

Disagree that we needed to play so open - we didnt last week and we won fine

We played well today and could easily have won but a safer approach to start the match might have seen us 1 up and hitting on the counter rather than spending whole game chasing to get back in.

First time in clubs history pre-Christmas Scottish Cup exit (although I think weve only ever played about six before christmas)

So disappointing.

@baconman

Totally agree that we have a problem killing games off. Dundee never looked like scoring but any game you play when it's 1-1 there's always the risk that you can go behind and we left ourselves 3 minutes of injury time to force a replay. Not sure if it's complacency because we were so dominant or if it's a mental thing or what but we should have had that 2nd goal today. We done the same thing when we were coasting against St Mirren and lost a 2 goal lead.

Disagree that we needed to play so open - we didnt last week and we won fine

We played well today and could easily have won but a safer approach to start the match might have seen us 1 up and hitting on the counter rather than spending whole game chasing to get back in.

First time in clubs history pre-Christmas Scottish Cup exit (although I think weve only ever played about six before christmas)

So disappointing.

We nearly scored in the first 20 seconds of the game. Their opener wasn't down to us playing open, it was down to us not defending a free kick into the box. And we drew level after 13 mins, I think it was. You could say we played too open if they had chance after chance but they never.

Their first goal... Brown done well to get down so quick but he should have kept it out after getting a hand to it. Maybe just a split second quicker & his hand is far enough down to get a decent hand behind it.

Seems worse though seen as he did get his hand down to the ball & still let it through but one thing is sure & that is that Clangers would never have even gotten a hand down to it, so we can slate Brown for that goal & it is hard to defend him because of the way he let it in but that doesn't mean in the slightest that Clangers would have done any better.

Poor luck & toothless up front was our biggest weakness.

We created plenty & had plenty shots on goal (more than enough to win the game easily) but most efforts were piss poor & weak.

Their keeper made three decent saves though also.

Their keeper looked decent...considering his age...pity we didn't see fit to retain him when he was at the club.