Detroit

Henry

What they're not pointing out in that article is that The Pontiac Silverdome, situated 30 miles outside of Detroit in Pontiac, was basically abandoned when the Detroit Lions moved into their brand new, downtown Detroit, custom built, retracting roof, complete with indoor bars, restaurants and entertainment, 65,000 capacity stadium 'Ford Field'.

Pano2_copy_filtered_copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

How can their be a housing crisis in Detroit if half the City is empty....Kelt??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2896218/Shipping-container-home-readying-Detroit-debut.html

Standard procedure is that when people abandon their house in Detroit... and that's what happens. You can't sell a house in Detroit, all you can do is abandon it... the scrappers come in the next day and rip out the copper pipes, and anything else they reckon they can get a few bucks for. The result is a house that might look okay structurally, but when you go inside the whole place is shredded from the scrappers busting down walls and ripping up floors. Without massive investment in renovating these homes, and no-ones going to spend twenty grand on a house they bought for a grand, without massive investment these houses are worthless, hence circa 40,000 homes awaiting demolition. And I'd be surprised if 40,000 is even close to accurate. I'd estimate it it to be closer to two or even three times that much. We're talking about a city of more than 2 million reduced to around 750,000 residents. There are entire city blocks deserted and left to nature and the scrappers.

One company that I was subcontracted to years back had me writing tracking software for their trucking company based out of Lincoln Park. Part of my job was writing a basic tracking program, and another part was driving around scary places looking for the tractors and trailers that they wanted tracked.

More than once I discovered the 'missing' shipping containers were being used as homes for families of local black folks or seasonal Hispanic workers, who would just hitch the container to a stolen truck, drive it to a field somewhere, and set up home.

It's not a bad idea though, using shipping containers as homes. Structurally they're sound, for a while anyway, they're cheap, they're stackable, and people can do all sorts of cool shit with them.

Personally I'd no more live in a shipping container than I'd sleep in a fucking alley, of course, but when you're talking about a population where the average income is what they can panhandle off tourists... maybe a few hundred bucks a year... then beggars can't be choosers. I guess that's where my taxes will be going from now on, shipping containers for the black folks.

The problem is that while you CAN turn a shipping container into a livable environment... like this...

container_homes01.jpg

...the shipping container 'homes' in Detroit will inevitably look like this...

slum.jpeg

There's no civic pride in Detroit. You'll see houses that really just need a lick of paint, the grass cut, and the rubbish picked up and you'd have a beautiful home. Instead you'll see the homeowner sitting on his porch smoking, the grass on the lawn three feet high, filled with car tyres, rubbish, and dead dogs, and the paint peeling off the exterior. So if you hand over a shipping container, they'll just throw a mattress down inside it and that'll be home. No attempt to smarten it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Should they build a huge wall around Detroit kelt?

Let them get on with it, be that killing, raping, thieving etc and let you nice folk in the burbs live your lives unmolested?

I'd be cool with them building a wall around Detroit a'la Escape From New York.

pic24350.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well Detroit Rock City is in my top 3 Kiss songs.

Written about a Kiss fan probably mongoled out his tits getting killed in a car accident on his way to see Kiss in Detroit of all places.

Detroit Good. Alice Cooper and Stevie Wonder.

Detroit Shit. Eminem and his shit film he made.

My only personal Detroit experience is one of terror and I've only been to the airport. On route to Sunny Florida for Xmas. Plane change in Detroit. 23rd of December. It was a cross between a blustery NE hoolie and an Arctic blizzard. Loaded into a rusty looking plane where we waited for hours in a line on the side of the runway so we could get hosed down with glycerine so our mechanical components didn't seize solid. Then we took off and spent the next few hours in the eye of the storm bouncing up and down like Cheryl Tweedy backstage at the MOBO awards.

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks flying 3 KLM planes rather than direct from Glasgow.

Is Florida that warm at Xmas time ?

Well Detroit Rock City is in my top 3 Kiss songs.

Written about a Kiss fan probably mongoled out his tits getting killed in a car accident on his way to see Kiss in Detroit of all places.

Detroit Good. Alice Cooper and Stevie Wonder.

Detroit Shit. Eminem and his shit film he made.

My only personal Detroit experience is one of terror and I've only been to the airport. On route to Sunny Florida for Xmas. Plane change in Detroit. 23rd of December. It was a cross between a blustery NE hoolie and an Arctic blizzard. Loaded into a rusty looking plane where we waited for hours in a line on the side of the runway so we could get hosed down with glycerine so our mechanical components didn't seize solid. Then we took off and spent the next few hours in the eye of the storm bouncing up and down like Cheryl Tweedy backstage at the MOBO awards.

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks flying 3 KLM planes rather than direct from Glasgow.

Did you go through Detroit's spectacular 'Tunnel O Horrors', designed to unsettle you before you even get near a plane.

Fucking hate going on flights from Detroit... I need a Valium just to go through that terminal.

https://youtu.be/sBt_dINTU3w

it's a plan, i guess.

If you buy a home through the Detroit Land Bank, you have six months to bring it up to code — nine months for historic properties. The policy discourages speculators from buying and leaving property unattended.

Supporters say foreclosure sales help the city recover by forcing homeowners to pay up or move on. Auction buyers then decide what's salvageable.

Detroit sprawls over 140 square miles, and officials would like to concentrate the population of 690,000 (down from 1.85 million in 1950) into a sustainable area by demolishing abandoned buildings in far-flung neighbourhoods. Theoretically, new property owners will pay taxes, the revenue will support city services, and property values will recover.

But critics say foreclosures may increase blight. Repossessed properties often don't sell at auction and they deteriorate faster once occupants leave.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/500-us-detroit-homes-may-be-no-bargain-due-to-squatters-and-unpaid-taxes-1.2990753

Yeah, they're really not going to increase the blight in Detroit, given Detroit is one giant pile of blight.

That's like saying, "Don't give that fat chick a Mars Bar, she might get fat." The horse has kinda bolted on that one, my man.

It's actually a sound idea, with one fatal flaw... it's assuming black folks are like white folks, and that they'll pay taxes, maintain properties, and actually take care of their city.

That won't happen.

Currently I'm seriously considering moving out of the area I currently reside in because, even though it's populated primarily by white professionals. The blacks in Detroit.. having absolutely fucked their own city, are now heading into the burbs to utilise their facilities. That would be fine if those blacks weren't absolutely guaranteed to bring crime and violence with them.

Yesterday I was at the store checking out, all of a sudden I hear someone screaming at the top of their voice, swearing and threatening. I would have bet you whatever you wanted that, even before I saw the perp, it was black folks.

Sure enough, black woman with a small child of about three, screaming and swearing and threatening people. This is how blacks behave. And the little kid was right there learning from its mother just how to behave in public.

This sounds racist, but what this is is an observation based upon me living here for a decade or so. I am, however, giving serious consideration to becoming a racist. Unlike most racists, however, I'll happily admit to it when I decide to make the leap.

I took a little video of the chick, but by the time I got over there she was merely being abusive, the hysterical fit having subsided to merely obnoxious. I may upload.

Yeah, they're really not going to increase the blight in Detroit, given Detroit is one giant pile of blight.

That's like saying, "Don't give that fat chick a Mars Bar, she might get fat." The horse has kinda bolted on that one, my man.

It's actually a sound idea, with one fatal flaw... it's assuming black folks are like white folks, and that they'll pay taxes, maintain properties, and actually take care of their city.

That won't happen.

Currently I'm seriously considering moving out of the area I currently reside in because, even though it's populated primarily by white professionals. The blacks in Detroit.. having absolutely fucked their own city, are now heading into the burbs to utilise their facilities. That would be fine if those blacks weren't absolutely guaranteed to bring crime and violence with them.

Yesterday I was at the store checking out, all of a sudden I hear someone screaming at the top of their voice, swearing and threatening. I would have bet you whatever you wanted that, even before I saw the perp, it was black folks.

Sure enough, black woman with a small child of about three, screaming and swearing and threatening people. This is how blacks behave. And the little kid was right there learning from its mother just how to behave in public.

This sounds racist, but what this is is an observation based upon me living here for a decade or so. I am, however, giving serious consideration to becoming a racist. Unlike most racists, however, I'll happily admit to it when I decide to make the leap.

I took a little video of the chick, but by the time I got over there she was merely being abusive, the hysterical fit having subsided to merely obnoxious. I may upload.

it doesn't just sound racist, Kelt.

and it's not just blacks. there's loads of white trash that act the same.

it doesn't just sound racist, Kelt.

and it's not just blacks. there's loads of white trash that act the same.

There may be plenty white scumbags, I'm sure there are, but what I'm saying is that black areas are the most violent, crime-ridden areas.

Black culture in America centers around being 'bad ass', 'thug', and 'gangsta'. When you have a culture where 'keeping it real' is paramount then you have a culture where, as the statistics highlight, violence and crime are everyday occurances.

What people who don't live here seem to miss out on is that tblack and white communities are VERY different. I wasn't aware of it until I moved here, and in fact it took me years to even realise it even though I live minutes from Detroit.

White communities... even the trailer parks... are generally quiet and well maintained... you go into a black area and there's absolutely no civic pride and the place looks like a shithole. You walk along the street, and you genuinely worry about your safety.

I don't believe this is a RACIAL thing, because I don't think having black or white skin is a determining factor in how a person behaves. I think it's a CULTURAL thing, where black communities have long been filthy, violent, crime-infested areas, so kids growing up in those black areas are simply going to continue the cycle of scumminess.

An FBI report from the end of last year basically confirms what most Americans are aware of... here. I live more or less in Sterling Heights, right on the border, a white community where last year there were no murders... a few minutes along the road is Detroit, the most violent, criminal, and murderous city in America.. a black city which epitmoises 'black culture', call it what you like, 'thug' 'gangsta' or whatever.

As I pointed out, I don't think that stating proven facts, and the reality of the situation, is particularly racist. No more than saying, "Hey, that black guy just shot someone" is racist. It's merely a stating of the facts. That's not to say that I'm not beginning to adjust my behaviour to take the behaviour of black people into account.. it would be idiotic not to. I'm not going to walk through Detroit at 3am, but I'd be perfectly happy to do so in Sterling Heights. This isn't racism, this is common sense.

See what a black dude who isn't 'Thug' has to say about it.

https://youtu.be/BCrZBTqYjJg

An amateur footballer has been jailed for killing a referee with a single punch after he was booked in a Michigan United Soccer League match.

John Bieniewicz was about to show Bassel Saad a second yellow card and send the 37-year-old mechanic off when Saad knocked the official unconscious.
The referee, 44, died two days after the game in Detroit last June.
Saad pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced on Friday to at least eight years in jail.
As Saad was about to be taken from the court, Mr Bieniewicz's widow Kristen held up a red card and said: "I would like to serve Mr Saad with the red card that he was entitled to."
  • 2 weeks later...