Detroit

Henry

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Need to pray to Satan?

Detroit!

10344194_470845043051517_169274074664055

The Satanic Temple will build its first chapter house in Detroit

The Satanic Temple — the activist group known for working to build a monument to Satan at the Oklahoma State Capitol next to a monument of the Ten Commandments, among other pursuits — will form its first chapter house in Detroit, spokespeople from the group tell Metro Times.

Doug Mesner, aka "Lucien Greaves," (who we interviewed earlier this year), says that though no firm location or even date of opening is set, the Detroit chapter house will be the group's first.

Heading the operations locally will be a woman known as "Jex Blackmore." ("We get a lot in the way of death threats and that kind of thing," Mesner explains. "I encourage people to maintain a pseudonym.") Blackmore, who is from metro Detroit originally, met Mesner a year and a half ago at a lecture at Harvard, and began working with them as a consultant shortly after.

Blackmore says they are looking at various properties, including one in Corktown. "The preference would be for it to be visible, that it's a community-type center and a place where people can feel safe," Blackmore says. "We need to see how things play out here. Our number one priority is that everyone feels comfortable and safe. If it doesn't meet the needs of our members to be public, then we might make a decision to make a private location. We would prefer not to do that, though," she says.

Mesner explains that the goal is "to have a local presence and serve as a network for outsiders who self-identified as satanists who are drawn to the obscure, anomalous, bizarre, forbidden, and be a physical presence." It will be open to the public for certain hours, provide literature, a meeting space, and even perform traditional church services like marriages and funerals.

Mesner says that Detroit's reputation as an underdog, as well its history of nurturing rebellious underground artistic communities, made it an appealing location for the Satanic Temple's flagship chapter house. It should also be noted that Mesner is from the Detroit area originally as well.

When asked what separates the Satanic Temple from other places of worship, Mesner says "we promote a distinction between religion and superstition. We don't worship Satan as an actual conscious entity. We don't endorse supernatural explanations of the world. We do, however, have a community that has shared values and aesthetic and symbolic structures and practice that provides all the necessary elements of a religion.

"To insist that a religion must necessarily prescribe to supernatural beliefs is philosophically insulting to us," he says. "In that sense, you could call it a place of worship, as long as you understand that."

Blackmore likens the Satanic Temple to biker club chapter houses. "Not that I would say we have necessarily the same kinds of beliefs as biker clubs, but they have a very visible presence and a sordid history with the church and other conservative-type people."

Mesner says the group is speaking with a broker today, and that they consider the Detroit chapter active. "Jex is pretty much ready to go," he says. "She'll be at Dally in the Alley, and she's already networking with people." The local chapter has already launched an effort against Michigan's informed consent laws, which require women to read state-mandated and state-written materials before receiving an abortion.

Insane Clown Posse is an American hip hop duo from Detroit, Michigan. The group is composed of Joseph Bruce and Joseph Utsler, who perform under the respective personas of the "wicked clowns" Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope.

Former WWF superstars min.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

and on a more positive note...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/hamtramck-guerrilla-road-crew-patches-detroit-pot-holes-1.3248144

A group of Detroit-area residents fed up with the crummy condition of certain streets say their efforts to patch potholes have led to repairs on 41 residential blocks.

They started filling potholes in July in the Detroit enclave of Hamtramck and were boosted by an online fundraising effort. The group dubbed the Hamtramck Guerrilla Road Crew laid down 36 US tons of cold patch over several weekends.

Jonathan Weier, one of those involved in the effort, says that they "sort of pledged ourselves to that initial vision of covering all the pivotal streets."

Those involved say the patching plan was hatched at a local bar. They made sure the efforts wouldn't conflict with the city's roadwork plans.

@@Ke1t

http://detroitsoup.com/

Join us for a public soup dinner! Pay $5. Learn about creative projects happening in Detroit. Vote on which project to fund with the money raised from the meal that night.

$5 for soup, salad, bread, and a vote!

Doors at 6:30pm

Proposals presented at 7:30pm

Dinner around 8:30pm

it seems to be spreading -- in a good way. :dance:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346226

Detroit Soup is a concept for crowd-funding dinners that has raised more than $100,000 (£63,900) for community projects in the Motor City. It has rapidly spread around the UK.

More than 100 people turned up to the first Sheffield Soup in July. "I had no idea that it would be this successful," says founder Pennie Raven. She started the project less than six months ago, after hearing about the crowd-funding dinners in Detroit from the BBC.

It's a simple concept, explains Raven. You pay a small entry fee in return for a bowl of soup - and the chance to hear local people pitch ideas to help your community. "It's amazing to me how many people have wanted to start up a Soup and have," she says. "To have 30 in the UK pop up in some six months, it's insane."

There are now Soup projects stretching from Brighton to Glasgow. Some of the founders have asked for advice from Kaherl, others are just getting on with it on their own. All want to replicate the success of Detroit Soup in the US which has raised more than $100,000 (£63,900) for community projects in five years.

• 3 weeks later...

very cool. a flower house.

http://www.theflower.house/

Eleven months ago, a derelict house here that is now filled with 36,000 flowers contained far grimmer things. A dead dog. Jammed toilets, untouched for years. Broken glass from beer bottles and shattered windows.

Twelve thousand pounds of trash had to be hauled out before Lisa Waud, a florist who bought the duplex at auction for $250, could see what kind of canvas she had purchased.

The house remains a structural wreck, but its atmosphere has been transformed. This weekend, some 2,000 visitors will tour Flower House, an art installation Ms. Waud and more than three dozen floral collaborators from around the country created on the site. Their goal is to cast a new light on the Detroit metropolitan area's infamous blight, and on their own trade.

The dwelling’s empty rooms — with their peeling wallpaper, exposed wooden beams and a few items of abandoned furniture left intact — have been turned into a series of still-life tableaus. All of the plants and flowers filling them are American-grown, a rarity in an industry that imports a majority of its wares from Colombia and elsewhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/business/smallbusiness/a-detroit-florists-vision-turns-an-abandoned-house-into-art.html?WT.mc_id=2015-KWP-INTL_AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=IntlAudDev&kwp_0=57839&kwp_4=323449&kwp_1=211300

flowerh2_zpsguqek6kn.jpg

flowerh1_zpszp4gfmyj.jpg

Depending upon where that house is located that's a rape/murder/arson attack waiting to happen.

where is flower house?

flower house is located at 11751 dequindre street in hamtramck.

at that point, dequindre is a one-way southbound service drive of I-75.

from I-75 south, take the holbrook/caniff exit and take a sharp left to cross back over the highway, then left to drive north on nagel, then two more lefts to head south on dequindre with flower house on your right halfway down the block.

from I-75 north, take take the holbrook/caniff exit and go straight to remain on the service drive until you pass over caniff, continuing to drive north on nagel, then two more lefts to head south on dequindre with flower house on your right halfway down the block.

it's been taken down now though.

when the october installation weekend has passed, the house that held the exhibition will be responsibly deconstructed and its materials repurposed. the land will be converted into a flower farm and design center on their formerly neglected properties.

Hemmin don't knock it until you've tried it.

Wick is thriving. I've already offered to get you a job up here. You don't seem interested.

I got a job today min, said after my holiday I'd seriously look and am hooked up after a week, just a part time number but that suits me for now, need to ease myself back, been a 6 Month party, no point rushing into real work till I'm ready.

Got the tentacles out in the oil game this week as well, those that matter in Aberdeen will know I'm available, will just sit back and wait for the offers, looking forward to the part time job though, looks really interesting and easy.