St Johnstone V Aberdeen (3 - 4)

Guest the shepherd

Just stop now, it's getting silly

Sorry min. I will stick to being miserable instead of being positive from now on but considering some of the shite that has represented our club over the past 20 years (and there has been a load) and more Mark Reynolds has been some signing.

Sorry min. I will stick to being miserable instead of being positive from now on but considering some of the shite that has represented our club over the past 20 years (and there has been a load) and more Mark Reynolds has been some signing.

Ah, you said Reynolds was one of our best defenders ever, not in the last 20 years! Massive difference.

I won't even mention the langfield stuff again though...deary me

Very true but the fact is Mark Reynolds overall has been excellent for Aberdeen. Jamie Langfield was fantastic for our club considering he was a freebie and survived a common assault by Zander Diamond that he did very well to come back from.

Congratulations on troll of the year 2016.

Mark Reynolds is arguably one of the best defenders we have ever had.

No he isn't.

Look at how many long unbeaten runs we have been on since he came to Aberdeen.

We went on an unbeaten run without him in the team at the beginning of the season, so this point is not relevant.

Give me a Mark Reynolds any day compared with, say, a Thomas Solberg or Antoine Kombouare.

And neither is this. Solberg and Kombouare the last time I looked are not in the current Aberdeen squad so this argument is absurd and weak.

How he played two years ago is beyond reproach, he was excellent. How he is playing now; patchy form, slow (where does this "pace" myth come from?), nervous, some questionable diving in, is not what we want to see in a title run-in. He needs to improve. He's an honest guy and has held his hand up in the recent past when he's not played well (he was dreadful in the cup game v Hearts). He's our boy and I'm not here to destroy him - my criticism of him is constructive. He can, and has to, do much better. If he can't reproduce that form, his place in the team, and at the club, needs to be under threat - end of.

Guest the shepherd

Ah, you said Reynolds was one of our best defenders ever, not in the last 20 years! Massive difference.

I won't even mention the langfield stuff again though...deary me

I'll rephrase that. Mark Reynolds is one of the best defenders I have seen at Aberdeen since 10/08/1985, the date of my first ever game at Pittodrie. Naturally Miller and McLeish (and maybe a young Gary Smith) were class acts Reynolds has been a stand out in my opinion and facts back that up since he first came to Aberdeen during 2011/12. Whilst I appreciate it (and he has also admitted it) that it has not been his best season footballers, just like any other type of employee, have dips in productivity and form, and he has been no different.

Guest the shepherd

Congratulations on troll of the year 2016.

Not a troll whatsoever min. Overall I thought Jamie Langfield was fantastic for our club, however I do understand that some supporters have not forgiven him for his desire to leave Aberdeen for rangers in 2007 and this may or may not come into their judgments of him :dontknow: .

Not a troll whatsoever min. Overall I thought Jamie Langfield was fantastic for our club, however I do understand that some supporters have not forgiven him for his desire to leave Aberdeen for rangers in 2007 and this may or may not come into their judgments of him :dontknow: .

His desire to become a hun really has fuck all to do with my dislike of him. It was his sheer incompetence at being a goalkeeper over a 10 year period that I mostly hated him for.

Guest the shepherd

No he isn't.

We went on an unbeaten run without him in the team at the beginning of the season, so this point is not relevant.

And neither is this. Solberg and Kombouare the last time I looked are not in the current Aberdeen squad so this argument is absurd and weak.

How he played two years ago is beyond reproach, he was excellent. How he is playing now; patchy form, slow (where does this "pace" myth come from?), nervous, some questionable diving in, is not what we want to see in a title run-in. He needs to improve. He's an honest guy and has held his hand up in the recent past when he's not played well (he was dreadful in the cup game v Hearts). He's our boy and I'm not here to destroy him - my criticism of him is constructive. He can, and has to, do much better. If he can't reproduce that form, his place in the team, and at the club, needs to be under threat - end of.

The point is relevant, taking into consideration the amount of unbeaten runs we have been on with Reynolds included in the team since he signed on loan for Aberdeen in 2011/12 (albeit I do note he was not part of the 8 game unbeaten/winning run at the start of this season through injury). I used Solberg and Kombouare as examples as the type of player that we acquired at Aberdeen during the past 20 years and were excepted by Aberdeen supporters overall as being good enough for our club when quite frankly that is one of the reasons why Aberdeen were on a downward spiral for a number of years. My point being that is not the case now thanks to having the likes of Mark Reynolds playing for Aberdeen. It is not a fluke we have been on a upward curve over the past 2 to 3 years due to the quality of player we now have at our disposal.

After watching the highlights, Mannus was a lot more culpable for our goals than Brown. Mannus is a goalkeeper that quite a few on here have thoguht we should be after too.

I'd say he was better than Brown but nowhere near the standard of the likes of Danny Ward...Wouldn't see it as an ambitious move.

I'll rephrase that. Mark Reynolds is one of the best defenders I have seen at Aberdeen since 10/08/1985, the date of my first ever game at Pittodrie. Naturally Miller and McLeish (and maybe a young Gary Smith) were class acts Reynolds has been a stand out in my opinion and facts back that up since he first came to Aberdeen during 2011/12. Whilst I appreciate it (and he has also admitted it) that it has not been his best season footballers, just like any other type of employee, have dips in productivity and form, and he has been no different.

I thought you were like 15 or something, given your nonsense about langfield.

As I said, huge difference between ever and what you're saying now.

Not a long list of defenders ahead of Reynolds since the mid 80s to be fair

Anderson, Whyte, Inglis and Irvine are the only 4 I'd add to Shep's list that would definitely start ahead of Reynolds

I'm trying hard to remember anyone else- Delomaux (sp?) - Phil McGuire had a decent spell as did Diamond before both went to shit.

He may well be top 5 unless I'm forgetting someone

Not a long list of defenders ahead of Reynolds since the mid 80s to be fair

Anderson, Whyte, Inglis and Irvine are the only 4 I'd add to Shep's list that would definitely start ahead of Reynolds

I'm trying hard to remember anyone else- Delomaux (sp?) - Phil McGuire had a decent spell as did Diamond before both went to shit.

He may well be top 5 unless I'm forgetting someone

Mulgrew, Seve & Foster done ok at CH.

Night Mair was decent.

I excluded Severin on account of him being a midfielder and I wouldn't say he was better than Reynolds - neither was any of the rest- even Mulgrew never turned it on for us

Yes he was. Miles better in fact and exactly the type of player we could be doing with atm. Severin was a brilliant player.

• Upvote 1