Aberdeen V Ventspils (3 - 0)

Got to be said Ventspils were piss poor, Fola were much tougher opponents.

Fola looked like a team that had done their homework on us before they played us and set up to frustrate. If you listen to the interview the Fola manager gave before the match, he had done a good job of identifying our key-players & strengths.

Cant complain about 3 - 0 but the team is not clicking. May be just the start of the season but it seems to be disjointed. Playing Shinnie in the middle is not helping. I think Ash and or Reynolds needs dropped as the defence looks to be panicking. Stockley is also showing more than Rooney. Allow both Hays and McGinn freedom to get in and around Stockley knowing that Jack and McLean are there to help out the defence

Lewis

Logan O'Connor Reynolds Shinnie
Jack McLean
McGinn Hayes

Storey
Stockley

subs: Alexander, Rooney, Morris, Wright, Pawlett, O'Connor, Reynolds, Considine

• Downvote 3

Cant complain about 3 - 0 but the team is not clicking. May be just the start of the season but it seems to be disjointed. Playing Shinnie in the middle is not helping. I think Ash and or Reynolds needs dropped as the defence looks to be panicking. Stockley is also showing more than Rooney. Allow both Hays and McGinn freedom to get in and around Stockley knowing that Jack and McLean are there to help out the defence

Lewis

Jack McLean

McGinn Hayes

Storey

Stockley

Taylor?

Lewis

Jack McLean

McGinn Hayes

Storey

Stockley

Burns?

I though Jack played well enough but I was watching on red TV so couldn't see his movement off the ball or his options upfront when he chose to pass sideways but he did his job tonight well. Especially liked the wee back heel while surrounded by two opposing players. Nice bit of skill that he has in his locker but cant really show while playing the holding midfield role.

McLean is the worry for me. Not played well yet this season and the team need him to be the link between defence and attack.

Surprised with that performance. Second half was very good.

McInnes changed the game with subs. A plan B. Something we have been shouting about for ages. Great to see.

Shinnie was good in midfield I thought. Got stuck right in. Jack looked better along side him too, a calm head who kept the ball moving. Just wish we could clone Shinnie and play him there and left back.

Stockley is a proper handful. Good to see 3 strikers scoring. Hope it continues.

Still need a centre back I'd say. Taylor just doesn't look comfortable.

Fola would beat that bunch of useless cunts.

• Upvote 1

So... Good problems...

1. Do we rest anyone in the second leg?

2. Should anyone from today's bench start next week in Latvia? (Stockley was a real handful tonight, as he was the previous game v East Fife.)

3. Should any of today's starting 11 be relegated to the bench? (McLean, IMHO, was our main man last European campaign, but he was terrible v Fola and just hasn't got going. Bench? Or let him work it out?)

4. Who should make an appearance/get a taste in Latvia if we are in total control with half an hour (or less) to go? (Would be good to see McKenna get on.)

I though Jack played well enough but I was watching on red TV so couldn't see his movement off the ball or his options upfront when he chose to pass sideways but he did his job tonight well. Especially liked the wee back heel while surrounded by two opposing players. Nice bit of skill that he has in his locker but cant really show while playing the holding midfield role.

McLean is the worry for me. Not played well yet this season and the team need him to be the link between defence and attack.

I think McLean and Jack would both benefit from a proper AM in the team.

There just seems to big a gap between them and Rooney, there is no one who is comfortable taking ball in tight areas or mobile enough to get up and support Rooney. Maybe Burns could do it.

Often Mclean resorts to a tough pass or Jack keeps it a bit safe as no real option looking to take ball from them further forward in midfield.

Should be acres of room in there with teams focusing so much on Hayes and McGinn.