James Maddison

The reasons we failed today are varied but I would not blame Maddison to any great extent.

For sure, it wasn`t his best game - his decision to try and score rather than put the ball through to Rooney was a mistake but he`s a young loon and overall his contribution has been very good. Just check the comments after every game he`s played and look at the online footage of his performances.

Can't see him wanting to extend his loan - not much fun getting lumps kicked out of you every game. Celtic were clever yesterday as they took it in turns to hack him down to avoid persistent fouling yellow. Most disappointing thing is that even though he is only here on loan and was being played out of position and getting kicked constantly he was one of very few who looked as if he cared yesterday and couldn't believe it when Brown wiped him out and got booked that none of our players got in Browns face or gave him one back at first opportunity

Was out last night... can't believe any of those gutless players could show their faces in Aberdeen last night.

Not a peep out of any of them on social media. Expected the usual 'Come back better and stronger' shite.

The winter training (holiday) camp needs sacking off unless we have an undefeated December.

So was he basically taken out of the game early via getting fouled whenever he got on ball. Noticed a good few on him first half on bbc text

I felt sorry for him yesterday. Absolutely zero protection.

They were always going to make life difficult for him given how good he was/is. We sat back and watched Brown and co tear him to pieces.

Shameful.

Was out last night... can't believe any of those gutless players could show their faces in Aberdeen last night.

I can't get too exercised about this. They either go out, have a few drinks, try and clear their heads, or they stay at home moping about and dwelling on the result.

Providing they weren't being dicks I don't really have an issue with the players going for a couple after the game.

Maddison was a big part of the reason we were so shit 1st half.

He looked good with the ball in front of him facing the Celtic goal but left Considine totally exposed a handful of times- including the 2 goals.

He also tried the glory move every time the ball came near him, rather than a simple lay off to another red shirt and time after time gifted possession to them.

Clearly a no. 10 only right now

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maddison was a big part of the reason we were so shit 1st half.

He looked good with the ball in front of him facing the Celtic goal but left Considine totally exposed a handful of times- including the 2 goals.

He also tried the glory move every time the ball came near him, rather than a simple lay off to another red shirt and time after time gifted possession to them.

Clearly a no. 10 only right now

Totally agree on this.

Agree to a point. If we want to defend and counter, usually the best option against the old firm* then play Hayes and McGinn left and right respectively in a 4-5-1 come 4-3-3. Surely to fucking Jesus in a midfield 4 of Hayes, Maclean, Jack and McGinn we have enough quality to permit us a bit of a luxury player for our central 5th the excellent attacking shit defending Madison to be precise. Against the bottom 8 I'd say they (the four midfielders mentioned) do have sufficient qualities whether that's dig, nous or whatever. Celtic horrifically exposed that at their level they don't. We're about to find out about the teams in between.

I agree about Maddison coming off the bench- if it had been a closer game his fresh legs late on or in extra time could have been the difference

With Celtic playing midweek I think McInnes wanted to set up to keep it tight- the longer the game goes either level or with one goal in it the better our chance of winning

I don't know if he was thinking of the criticism he got for leaving out Maddison against Celtic before- but McGinn was the correct choice to start wide- with the added benefit of Hayes switching to the left where he may have had a better game.

I could see what McInnes was trying to do but I think he got the personnel wrong- including bringing Taylor back - not because I hate Taylor but because we finally had a settled looking defence for the first time all season leading up to Sunday.

Hey ho- Celtic were strong favourites and realistically they should be putting 3 or 4 past every team in the league every game based on budgets and we just never got going

I agree about Maddison coming off the bench- if it had been a closer game his fresh legs late on or in extra time could have been the difference

With Celtic playing midweek I think McInnes wanted to set up to keep it tight- the longer the game goes either level or with one goal in it the better our chance of winning

I don't know if he was thinking of the criticism he got for leaving out Maddison against Celtic before- but McGinn was the correct choice to start wide- with the added benefit of Hayes switching to the left where he may have had a better game.

I could see what McInnes was trying to do but I think he got the personnel wrong- including bringing Taylor back - not because I hate Taylor but because we finally had a settled looking defence for the first time all season leading up to Sunday.

Hey ho- Celtic were strong favourites and realistically they should be putting 3 or 4 past every team in the league every game based on budgets and we just never got going

?

I desperately wanted Maddison to play.

I really thought that deployed correctly he could have made the difference.

Unfortunately he wasn't deployed correctly. He doesn't have the discipline to play where he did. He offered no protection to Considine and often tried to do too much.

Far too often.