James Maddison

I didn't even realise he was playing left midfield. To me it looked like we were trying to play some other weird formation where hayes could play wherever he wanted.

That's what it always looks like only normally it's Hayes and McTim doing as they please. If both or even one of them is having a good game it can look good and well organised but after Hayes performance on Sunday it just looked like a scrambled mess.

• Downvote 1

I didn't even realise he was playing left midfield. To me it looked like we were trying to play some other weird formation where hayes could play wherever he wanted.

Hayes and even more bizarrely Shinnie seemed to have a free role. Couldn't work out if Shinnie was trying to man mark Brown but don't think so. If Rooney is trying to stay central then Hayes to the utterly pointless right forces Maddison out left.

Far too easy to claim that you didn't want Maddison to start after the game.

Why would you want our main creative spark sitting on the bench in a cup final? Total nonsense.

The issue is where he was played, which has been mentioned.

Faded badly in the second half but in the first half was the only player that looked like doing something.

Far too easy to claim that you didn't want Maddison to start after the game.

Why would you want our main creative spark sitting on the bench in a cup final? Total nonsense.

The issue is where he was played, which has been mentioned.

Faded badly in the second half but in the first half was the only player that looked like doing something.

If that's aimed at me I said it before the game as well.

Keep it tight for as long as possible and we'd finish stronger- extra time would have been good for us- bring Maddison on to run at them when tired

Goal against The Huns - fantastic - and performance at Dens park apart it is clear why we can get such a "talent" on loan. Lots of skill and can beat a man easily but how many goal assists has he contributed?

Constantly flatters to deceive, loses the ball regularly when a pass is on and is more than a little bit ball greedy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Goal against The Huns - fantastic - and performance at Dens park apart it is clear why we can get such a "talent" on loan. Lots of skill and can beat a man easily but how many goal assists has he contributed?

Constantly flatters to deceive, loses the ball regularly when a pass is on and is more than a little bit ball greedy.

Out of all the things and people to criticise, you pick Maddison?

Great talent. Such vision on the ball and has the beating of many a defence.

But yet he invariably always seems to choose to hold onto it for too long and/or make the wrong decision.

As Willie Miller says, he goes down too easily as well. Yes he gets rough treatment, but there's probably a lot of challenges that he could maybe ride.

As he's a temporary player for us I for one won't be said to see him leave.

Free kick against the huns aside he's not really contributed much.

Doesn't seem to have much of an end product which is frustrating because he's been one of the best players I've ever seen at Pittodrie for creating space for himself. One thing I'd say is we don't exactly offer him much protection which probably makes him feel isolated. I've enjoyed watching his touches and nut megs but I don't think he'll be a major loss when he does go.

Wish him all the best.

Think yesterday showed why Norwich might be clever to extend his loan - He isn't ready for the rough and tumble of a championship play off charge

Love to see him stay to develop, he has vison and creativity that we haven't seen for a long time in Scottish football, but he just needs to learn its a team game and bring others in to the game earlier instead of trying to get and extra 2 or 3 yards forward

Free kick against the huns aside he's not really contributed much.

Doesn't seem to have much of an end product

All correct.

Superb skill on the ball. Can not be denied.

Appears to be devoid of a brain when it comes to incorporating his team mates though.

Unfortunate.

I don't think he gets enough help from teammates. When he picks the ball up in the middle he often has to get his way around 4 opposition players before he can then pick a pass, because everyone else in a red shirt is just leaving him to it, expecting him to weave his way out. A couple of times in the first half yesterday we saw Pawlett come short and offer a pass or one-two, but that was it.

He's an extremely talented footballer. I just don't think we're using him effectively.

Can't believe that some are beginning to turn their fire on young Maddison. Of course, he is not the finished article and he is guilty of some of the things mentioned. But yesterday he delivered some wicked crosses (something Hayes and McGinn havent in a while): constantly makes himself available (Mclean take note): draws defenders to him like a magnet, making room for others: injects pace going foward (Jack take note) Pawlett tries to link with him; the others stand around like Terracotta warriors. We are lucky to have him.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if Norwich will thank us for his time here.

Good young players like Maddison naturally regress or improve - to the level of those around them.

Unfortunately he is playing aside mostly talentless individuals who fail to provide anything beneficial in the way of a positive development experience.

He is then sort of left to try & do everything himself, because of the lack of movement, anticipation etc of his teammates.

It then builds to a habit , & Then when there is the odd occasion, of a better opportunity for passing ,which rarely comes up , he ignores it & it makes him look selfish.

I don't know if Norwich will thank us for his time here.

Good young players like Maddison naturally regress or improve - to the level of those around them.

Unfortunately he is playing aside mostly talentless individuals who fail to provide anything beneficial in the way of a positive development experience.

He is then sort of left to try & do everything himself, because of the lack of movement, anticipation etc of his teammates.

It then builds to a habit , & Then when there is the odd occasion, of a better opportunity for passing ,which rarely comes up , he ignores it & it makes him look selfish.

I think that's the crux of it. He needs to learn to ride a tackle. He will learn that here a lot quicker than the Norwich bench. But he also needs to learn the quick lay offs and one-twos that avoid them getting a tackle in on him. Apart from Pawlett its difficult to see where he will learn that with us. Norwich may just take the decision that there's no point having him here just to get kicked. Hope not like, joy to watch.

He needs more protection for sure (Ryan, looking huffy at the ref from 40 yards doesn't cut it). But he also needs to develop the balls to play the pass into the space behind the full back and then go fucking mental at Hayes and Mcginn if they're not on the end of it. At the moment the opposition plan is crowd him out, kick him to fuck and don't worry about the others. When it doesn't work (expecting him to beat four men, three of whom are kicking lumps out of him) and then make the killer pass to immobile centre forwards getting in each others way we resort to long balls to said centre forwards which as someone else said is precisely what Anderson and Shaunessy were hoping for. Don't expect the Motherwell centre halfs to be any different.

Ryan Fraser > Maddison - Ryan needed properly hacked down not given a wee shove hence the plethora of cards he drew from the opposition. Maddison is a good ball player but lightweight. He would benefit if our midfield had some bite to it but he also does need to toughen up for his ball control skill which is pretty to watch to actually make a difference.