James Maddison

• 1 year later...

Maddison went from his boyhood club to Norwich in January 2016 but it was a loan spell at Aberdeen later that year that he credits as invaluable in his development. A spectacular last-minute winner against Rangers in only his fourth appearance certainly helped with the transition.

“I had already played in League One at Coventry and this gave me a different challenge. Playing against the likes of Celtic and Rangers was a different prospect altogether, big crowds which you do not necessarily get at League One level. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Aberdeen. I still speak to the manager Derek McInnes now. It was a big learning curve for me. I mean, I was an 18-year-old lad playing in a Scottish League Cup final against Celtic at Hampden in front of 60,000. That’s an experience I will never forget and I wouldn’t have got by staying in England in the lower leagues.

“All the moves I’ve made have come after I sat down with my family and my agent and thought what was the best move. I’ve never rushed into something, never gone anywhere where I wasn’t sure 100%. I’ve always trusted my decision, gone with my gut feeling and that was a good move for me and I look back with positive thoughts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/09/james-maddison-england-leicester-hope-i-never-go-back-to-under-21s

Lol. In fairness, while I think most recognised his class, not sure many of us would have predicted he'd be getting England call ups less than 2 years later. Even fewer would have predicted McKenna would have captained Scotland by now 13 months ago either. Going to go ahead and predict Connor McLennan wining the Champions League with PSG in 2020

Not according to the vast majority on here...

It was obvious he had great ability, but he was never a winger...

All that goes to show/confirm is that the majority (yerself in particular) haven't a clue as to what you're watching...it was fairly obvious that he was destined for the top flight... 

Not according to the vast majority on here...

It was obvious he had great ability, but he was never a winger...

The vast majority on here couldn't get over the fact that he didn't want to come back on loan. Even now people can't accept that the boy was and is simply a different class to anything at AFC.

"Ryan Christie is better". Megalolz.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All that goes to show/confirm is that the majority (yerself in particular) haven't a clue as to what you're watching...it was fairly obvious that he was destined for the top flight... 

Au contraire... I was a believer.  I just thought he was played out of position when he was at Aberdeen.  I was proved correct, as he's been brilliant through the middle for Leicester.

I actually had you down as one of the naysayers Redstar...

What did he actually say anyway?

Always seems to compliment the club when asked and told Lowe he should definitely come here on loan.

Crikey, fair time ago now so can't remember any specific comment. I think burns didn't like the city and hadn't settled. Maddison was just dismissive about coming back. He said he'd rather play in the second team with Norwich...which I think he did actually go on to do in fairness.

Crikey, fair time ago now so can't remember any specific comment. I think burns didn't like the city and hadn't settled. Maddison was just dismissive about coming back. He said he'd rather play in the second team with Norwich...which I think he did actually go on to do in fairness.

At least you answered this time. Looks like I asked at the time and was blanked!

Looks like it worked out best for the loon anyway. Burns, not so much.