Aberdeen V St Johnstone (1 - 0)

Good draw I guess.

We were utter dross though and mcinnes really needs to change whatever he is telling his players.

I hate how his team plays now, loads of talent but no idea how set a tempo and command a game, no idea how to take the game to the opposition and use the pace we have to create goals.

We can argue about if it's Stockley or McLean or McGinn or whoever but it's not the players it's the whole ethos of the team and style of play that's the problem and all of that comes from mcinnes and his coaches.

Just think of this, if Stockley or McLean played for St Johnstone would they look this bad or would they be performing with purpose in a team that knows how to get the best from them?

Good post.

Covered most of the problems.

Hard to find an answer to how to play this team but that is what a manager is paid for.

Good post. Have to say McLean did look good playing for St.Mirren and I always thought it was the fact he looked good in a pish team but maybe your theory rings truer to the cause. He quite obviously is not a defensive midfielder and it's really affecting him and the team.

Of course he's not a fucking defensive midfielder, he's an auxiliary striker!

Either play him in his correct position, or not at all. Shoehorning him into the lineup is having a dramatically negative effect on his morale, and the overall performance of the team.

• Upvote 1

Good draw I guess.

We were utter dross though and mcinnes really needs to change whatever he is telling his players.

I hate how his team plays now, loads of talent but no idea how set a tempo and command a game, no idea how to take the game to the opposition and use the pace we have to create goals.

We can argue about if it's Stockley or McLean or McGinn or whoever but it's not the players it's the whole ethos of the team and style of play that's the problem and all of that comes from mcinnes and his coaches.

Just think of this, if Stockley or McLean played for St Johnstone would they look this bad or would they be performing with purpose in a team that knows how to get the best from them?

Don't understand this bumming up of St johnstone and the tactics they use.

How hard is it to set a team up to pull shirts , foul a lot and hoof it up to their striker to win a free kick. It's sub Calderwood tactics that st johnstone use.

As a couple of pundits said tonight , St johnstone always are "difficult to play against" largely for the reasons above. It's not just us they do this too.

Good draw I guess.

Lots of good points in this post.

McInnes was very happy at the end, I was just thinking if we went out that the sevco game might well turn the fans against him if it didn't go well. Then Rooney scored and all was well. Brutal game though, give Maddison the ball as much as possible and keep Burns in there - was great today - McInnes taking him off was odd

Incorrect :dc: That was not odd at all. That was expected BECAUSE McInnes is odd

Good draw I guess.

Agree with all that.

Delighted to get through but we rode our luck big time tonight and I wouldn't be confident of beating Morton the way we're playing at the moment. Hopefully we'll kick start our season against the rangers on Sunday.

Agree with all that.

Delighted to get through but we rode our luck big time tonight and I wouldn't be confident of beating Morton the way we're playing at the moment. Hopefully we'll kick start our season against the rangers on Sunday.

I wouldn't be confident if Morten played like St Johnstone but if they try & play football I will be confident.

• Downvote 1

McInnes was very happy at the end, I was just thinking if we went out that the sevco game might well turn the fans against him if it didn't go well. Then Rooney scored and all was well. Brutal game though, give Maddison the ball as much as possible and keep Burns in there - was great today - McInnes taking him off was odd

I don't think Burns has lasted a full 90 since he arrived.

Of course he's not a fucking defensive midfielder, he's an auxiliary striker!

Either play him in his correct position, or not at all. Shoehorning him into the lineup is having a dramatically negative effect on his morale, and the overall performance of the team.

Absolutely. Looks like a player completely devoid of confidence at the moment.

That was a real struggle, but we should all be delighted were through. There's been lots of talk on here about this being a big week, which it is, well that's 2 down and 1 to go to achieve the objective of 3 wins.

Chuffed to bits with the late winner as st j do my nut in, recent games with them have all followed the same trend of a physical dour as fuck slog. Could we approach them better, maybe, but sometimes a team with their physical approach are a difficult nut to crack and get any rhythm or tempo going against. They slowed the game down from the 1st minute at every opportunity and were the main factor in it being such a shite game.

A satisfying night for us and the draw gives us a wonderful chance of reaching the final which we simply have to take.

Don't understand this bumming up of St johnstone and the tactics they use.

How hard is it to set a team up to pull shirts , foul a lot and hoof it up to their striker to win a free kick. It's sub Calderwood tactics that st johnstone use.

As a couple of pundits said tonight , St johnstone always are "difficult to play against" largely for the reasons above. It's not just us they do this too.

My point was about Aberdeen not St Johnstone. I made no mention of their tactics. However I do stand by the assertion they get a lot more out of a much poorer players/squad.

Ergo mcinnes isn't getting near the best out of ours.

Ergo slating our players is pointless because the whole team is performing without any clear purpose whatsoever.

Stockley is intended to be a squad player for us and I've no problem with his limitations, I reckon he'd do just fine in a team playing football that suits his abilities. Which we don't.

But my question is what sort of football do we play and which of our players is it suiting?