Aberdeen V St Johnstone (1 - 0)

Was a tough game which St Johnstone had the better of.

Great to get a win.

We had twice as much possession, double the shots on goal and 50% more shots on target yet they had the better of the game?

They forced one good save, we had one chance squandered and put one away. If you are going by chances, we edged it, if you are going by the rest of the stats we controlled it. Might not have looked like it the whole game but no team controls the entire game.

My point was about Aberdeen not St Johnstone. I made no mention of their tactics. However I do stand by the assertion they get a lot more out of a much poorer players/squad.

Ergo mcinnes isn't getting near the best out of ours.

Ergo slating our players is pointless because the whole team is performing without any clear purpose whatsoever.

Stockley is intended to be a squad player for us and I've no problem with his limitations, I reckon he'd do just fine in a team playing football that suits his abilities. Which we don't.

But my question is what sort of football do we play and which of our players is it suiting?

Fair enough. My point on tommy wright getting the best out of his squad is that it's easy to do that when your tactics are simply spoiler tactics.

Aberdeen wise I think our plan is to get the likes of maddison and burns (or hayes when he's fit obviously) on the ball to run at the opposition at pace. As we saw last night the likes of st johnstone just foul those players the entire game.

Haha no idea who sean Barry is.

In reality .. you've been outed as a thick violent ned by numerous people who know you in the real world.

I do feel sorry for you in a way , you have to have some sympathy for the poor and thick like you !

Hey thats totally unfair.

I have met the man. He might be thick and a bit of a ned but he's not violent, a nicer bloke you could not meet.

Haha no idea who sean Barry is.

In reality .. you've been outed as a thick violent ned by numerous people who know you in the real world.

I do feel sorry for you in a way , you have to have some sympathy for the poor and thick like you !

He's nae violent, I could take him and I'm built like Willo Flood

Fair enough. My point on tommy wright getting the best out of his squad is that it's easy to do that when your tactics are simply spoiler tactics.

Aberdeen wise I think our plan is to get the likes of maddison and burns (or hayes when he's fit obviously) on the ball to run at the opposition at pace. As we saw last night the likes of st johnstone just foul those players the entire game.

I must have missed the bit where we get the ball to maddison and burns et al.

All I saw was a midfield scared of making a pass and equally scared of being caught in posession. So many opportunities to make a forwards pass and start an attack are simply passed up in favour of knocking it sideways and backwards. Then we have the defence forced to hoof it over their own midfield.

If we had spent the game playing in maddison and burns at every opportunity we would have won about 3-0.

EDIT to add: In short our build up play is far too ponderous, too canny. By the time we pick out a player in the last third he is more often than not stationary and marked and the opposition defence have strolled back, had a cup of tea then gathered up in their positions. We need to get the midfield working properly, they need to recycle possession much quicker to release McGinn, Burns, Hayes, Maddison without waiting for the opposition to organise themselves.

It was an odd one as it was an awful touch by shinnie from what I mind

Aye, was completely Shinnie's fault.

Not including the management. Apparently EIGHTEEN Aberdeen players booked in the dressing room afterwards. Two of them being Shinnie & Maddison, so they will miss next game as that makes a red.

Celebratarian singing "clearly heard" apparently.

What a bore.

Was a tough game which St Johnstone had the better of.

084.png

I think it was the only time he carried the ball forward all night. Looked to turn infield and back all night. Frustrating as fuck. He's better than that, as was shown by his assist for the goal.

He's far to negative in centre mid, considine is rubbish at left back so get him back there.

The team remind me a bit of Man United under Van Gaal. Heaps of passing at the back, fear to pass it forward and a general non risk type of play. Logan had a throw in and Maddison was right infront of him but he decided to throw it all the way back to Taylor and he then passed it to O'Connor and eventually it was a lump forward and we lost possession again.

Thus far?

Me.

The only signings that McInnes has made this season that have impressed me are Lewis, Maddison and O'Connor.

Just not sure what he's contributing to the team really. He's fast, and er, that's about it.

On a side note - singing section. Whata bunch of morons. 0-0 half way through the first half of a cup QF and they're singing "Bring on the rangers". Get fucked.

• Upvote 2

I'm nae sure why it is so hard for McInnes to play people in their best positions.

Shinnie should be left back, Maddison he even managed to play in the wrong fucking position for the first 40 mins. McLean is not a holding midfielder.

No wonder our team looks clueless. They're all playing out of position.

EDIT: and why the fuck did he sign storey? Give the cunt a game.

Think folk are being a bit hard on Burns. He was trying to play on the last shoulder but instead of chipping a ball over for him to run onto we did our usual pissing about out wide. He then started to come deeper looking for the ball. He also did a tremendous amount of tracking back and ball winning in our own half. Overall I think he's a good addition to the squad.

Think folk are being a bit hard on Burns. He was trying to play on the last shoulder but instead of chipping a ball over for him to run onto we did our usual pissing about out wide. He then started to come deeper looking for the ball. He also did a tremendous amount of tracking back and ball winning in our own half. Overall I think he's a good addition to the squad.

Fair enough. Probably am being too harsh on him. I think he looks a player. Just want to see him do more for us.

He'd be better suited down the right wing, working with Logan. We've been a bit open down that wing with Hayes being out meaning Logan doesn't get forward as much.

Guest milne_afc

McInnes is clearly railing against his critics with some of his comments and his reaction at full time last night.

He'd do well to remember that the fans who have to watch his brand of football will be here long after him.

McInnes really needs to do something about the tempo Aberdeen play at. Two or three times last night we took the sting out of any attack by passing the ball backwards allowing StJ's to regroup and get everyone behind the ball. He also decided to replace Burns when the game opened up a bit and he finally had the chance to turn and run at their full back on a few occasions. Its hard to understand his thinking at times.

Maddison is quality, beat his man so easily with one movement everytime he received the ball last night but Stockley's not the right man to then try and put through.

Obviously McInnes is wanting them to play it out from the back but the less time Considine and Taylor are on the ball the better.

Huns are there for the taking, just can't see us giving them a pumping the way we set out to play.

McInnes saying on RedTV that he thought McGinn was excellent... does anyone agree with him?

I don't think anyone was excellent but I don't think he was shite either. Other than Taylor I find it hard to single anyone out as good or bad in that game. St Johnstone did what they always do, they frustrated the fuck out of us and stifled the game. We need to stop ourselves being sucked into their anti-football pish.

Not much sweeter than a last minute winner, pity about the rest of the game though!

First 20mins I thought we looked good, McGinn especially but from then on it all went downhill. So many passes back to Lewis for him to then hoof it up the pitch.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Stockley, he wins quite a lot but unfortunately there was never anyone near him to knock it on to. During the warm up his finishing was immense...lets hope we see that in a game sometime.

What was with the large group of St J toddler fans with name tags around there necks? To be fair they made far more noise than our babies in the Merkland.

Lots of insightful comments about last night's game. Good result but sterile performance. Burns did a stint by tracking back with great energy. Good cover for Logan who at times can be isolated. Stockley has nothing to feed off. Endless long balls in the air went out of fashion 10 years ago, but not at Pittodrie it seems. Was McInnes a volleyball coach at one time?. Maddison a shock to the system in that he finds space in the middle of the park and is always looking to go foward. Mclean should take note.

It was an odd one as it was an awful touch by shinnie from what I mind

Yip. No need for Shinnie to foul and pick up a stupid booking either as Shay was there to cover. Don't like to see players houting and pointing at others when they've fucked up but folk on here seem to think that's a captains role.

I think it was the only time he carried the ball forward all night. Looked to turn infield and back all night. Frustrating as fuck. He's better than that, as was shown by his assist for the goal.

Seems I'm not alone in thinking Shinnie was poor tonight, lovely cross for the goal aside. Steaming in to tackles he doesn't need to be going in for and looked like a red card waiting to happen at one point. Far too slow on the ball too.He's easily one of the first names on our team sheet, but he's not beyond criticism. I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept out of the Scotland squad for the reason above.

Just not sure what he's contributing to the team really. He's fast, and er, that's about it.

On a side note - singing section. Whata bunch of morons. 0-0 half way through the first half of a cup QF and they're singing "Bring on the rangers". Get fucked.

Aye. Sing 'Bring on the Rangers' if we're 3-0 up, or after the final whistle when everyone is pumped from winning. Dinna be singing it an hour in to a boring game.

For what it's worth, I can't see why anyone on here can even begin to suggest St Johnstone were better or deserved the win. They brought absolutely nothing to that game last night. We were poor, but at least we attempted to keep the ball on the ground and work openings. Unfortunately, our build up is far too slow and we end up putting crosses in to the box when St Johnstone had 8 men back. When we play on the break like we did for Burns chance, we can be a joy to watch. We need more of that. Before the game I said I wanted Storey up top. Still don't feel any differently, despite the win.

0-0 would have been a fair result last night, but fuck St Johnstone.