Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

See Matheson finally fell on his sword and resigned. Not good news for Humza and the SNP as by all accounts he was a very competent minister.

Sons watching football on a dodgy link i heard coming out in enquiry but maybe not true we will have to wait.

to be honest if they were fuck sky greedy bastards and biased towards english football and the bigot brothers up here.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, DD1903 said:

Let's not forget the free fees has resulted in unis offering more spaces to foreign students in a bid to get more cash in...as the Scottish gov cap how many Scottish students unis can take in. 

That’s how half of Nigeria is in Aberdeen now. RGU business school. Complicit in rape 

• Haha 1
On 1/20/2024 at 12:10 AM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Re income tax, note that I stated the tax office collects our tax some 8 hours before you erroneously claim I was incorrect. 

Of course, they collect it on behalf of the Scottish Government (who we ultimately pay it to).  Imagine the balls the Scottish Government would make of trying to collect it themselves. Wankers.

I see you have fallen for the "brexit disaster" propaganda.  A completely fact free opinion.  

Since brexit, we have achieved record exports to the EU.  Last month, the UK economy grew by 0.3%.  Modest, yes, but better than the Eurozone and also not in recession like France and Germany.

In the same month, the Scottish economy actually shrunk, because it is public sector heavy, ie full of incompetent, lazy, troughing c*nts.

So where is this "disastrous brexit" exactly?   Waiting an hour to get through passport control at the airport is a pain, yes, but its an artificial pain.  Its literally the only thing they (EU) can do to punish us for leaving and for our subsequent success, which they hate.

And I dont accept Westminster wastes more the  Holyrood.  Holyroods very existence is a waste:  25 years, and the best achievement it can hold up is baby boxes.

Untold billions for carboard boxes full of tat (an idea copied from elsewhere - of course) which studies have said made no difference to anything.  All holyrood has done is enrich the sub-mediocre people who serve as MSPs.

I voted for devolution, (as a naive student) but it has been a total failure.

Lol we are now down to measuring economic growth by months, how about you do the same metric since Brexit rather than one month?

"These estimates suggest that Brexit had already reduced UK real GDP relative to the baseline by just under one per cent in 2020 as consumers and businesses adapted their expectations even before the TCA came into force. Our estimates further suggest that three years after the transition period, UK real GDP is some 2-3 per cent lower due to Brexit, compared to a scenario where the United Kingdom retained EU membership. This corresponds to a per capita income loss of approximately £850."

https://www.niesr.ac.uk/publications/revisiting-effect-brexit?type=global-economic-outlook-topical-feature

• Thanks 1

Some 'countries' aren't fit to be independent, and Scotland is one of them. 

Reverse devolution and just treat Scotland as it functionally exists, as England's northernmost county. 

You can still watch Braveheart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Dildo 4
8 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

See Matheson finally fell on his sword and resigned. Not good news for Humza and the SNP as by all accounts he was a very competent minister.

Surely if he was good at his job it's bad for the people of Scotland, not just the SNP? 

• Upvote 4
9 hours ago, davieb said:

Lol we are now down to measuring economic growth by months, how about you do the same metric since Brexit rather than one month?

"These estimates suggest that Brexit had already reduced UK real GDP relative to the baseline by just under one per cent in 2020 as consumers and businesses adapted their expectations even before the TCA came into force. Our estimates further suggest that three years after the transition period, UK real GDP is some 2-3 per cent lower due to Brexit, compared to a scenario where the United Kingdom retained EU membership. This corresponds to a per capita income loss of approximately £850."

https://www.niesr.ac.uk/publications/revisiting-effect-brexit?type=global-economic-outlook-topical-feature

Meaningless stat.

22 hours ago, davieb said:

They release the figures monthly - I can only piss with the cock ive got!

Currently the UK is outperforming the eurozone and, unlike us, France and Germany are in recession.

In my opinion, Brexit will only get better as time goes on.  The timidity of our current pretend Conservative government, plus the pro-EU Biden administration actively holding out a US trade deal, has meant its progress has been slowed.

Worst case, if what the "estimates suggest" is true and we are £850 less well off, then so what really?  I voted for brexit not for any financial reason, but to remove faceless unelected people from having power over me / my nation, a state of affairs we were taken into without our consent.

In truth the only minor downside I have found is that you can be kept waiting a while to get through passport control at airports, which is a completely artificial / needless situation caused by sour grapes.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I voted for independence not for any financial reason, but to remove faceless unelected people from having power over me / my nation, a state of affairs we were taken into without our consent.

See, I've made the same argument but replaced 'Brexit' with 'independance'. 

On 2/9/2024 at 10:36 PM, maryhilldon said:

See, I've made the same argument but replaced 'Brexit' with 'independance'. 

The problem with that is that while every UK voter has a direct link to the UK Government, no EU voter has a link to the European Commission as it is not popularly elected.

The problem with that is that while every UK voter has a direct link to the UK Government, no EU voter has a link to the European Commission as it is not popularly elected.

You don't have a say in who's in the uk civil service, nor the House of Lords. You want to leave the UK? 

Another lie. Every single EU citizen can vote can vote in EU elections. 

Of voting age etc obv

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Neither of these is the Government of the UK which creates legislation.

The House of Lords doesn't create legislation? 

We've even got an unelected foreign Secretary who's in the lords. 

Be better just admitting that your reasoning is illogical 

13 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

Another lie. Every single EU citizen can vote can vote in EU elections. 

Of voting age etc obv

Yes buy they elect MEPs, they don't elect the EU Commission which is the cabinet-style Government of the EU which proposed legislation.

Members of the EU Commission are not popularly elected. 

So, if EU voters dislike current EU President Ursula Von Der Leyen, they have no actual means to do anything about it.  She doesn't represent a constituency which can depose her.