Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

14 hours ago, GAME OF BILLIONS said:

ย 

I'd say that's good enough reason.

I long for that morning where I wake up and the cunts in Westminster no longer have any say over what goes on in Scotland. To not have the balls to become an independent country by 2040 will mark Scotland down as a nation of gay cunts, as we are the only country in the world seeking independence right now that has a really, really good chance of making it happen and breaking away from the cunts in Westminster who hate us, who never even make a flying visit up here, they hate Scotland and Scots.

Noddy got found out and Abu Hamza has been found out. We need PROPER leaders, but that might take until next decade, not this one, this psycho-circus of peak spasticity.

Scotland needs to break away from all of this madness, just be a wee chill country that doesn't bother anyone, looks after it's own and glories on...

Already are.ย 
ย 

Shat it in 2014.

16 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

AHH the Tories just voted for the budget did they, that's very nice of them don't you think?

There was very much an "unofficial" coalition between the two with Alex Slamond and Annabel Goldie -

"Alex Salmond has been accused of total hypocrisy by the former leader of the Scottish Conservatives, Annabel Goldie, for forgetting he enjoyed a long informal coalition with the Conservatives before his landslide election victory.ย  Goldie, who forged a close working relationship with Salmond as Scottish Tory leader between 2007 and 2011...."

I actually have a soup-tin-and-string connected to Big Eck's compound oot the road, but it hiznae been workin' since them storms. I'll try and fix it and ask him on Saturday night. I'll need to get him before he has on his Willie Nelson records, before he's totally banjoed on Black Label...

ย 

Coalitions in politics don't need to be official. There was a coalition in World War 2, for obvious reason.ย 

But in November 1945 the harmony ended.ย David Maxwell Fyfe, 1st Earl of Kilmuir, broke into the Labour kitchen and shat in the kettle and everything returned to normal until the Russians got the A-bomb in '53. "Kettling" has been banned in Parliament grounds for over 70 years. But just last year, the ornate Victorian brass and silver kettle that Earl Kilmuir shat in sold for, ยฃ47,500 at Sotheby's to an unknown online bidder in China.

15 hours ago, Bad_Mobby said:

So youโ€™re saying we need an IRA type group?ย ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ˜Ž

A cynical way to twist my words there. I was clearly alluding to the fact WM consistently says no to a second referendum, despite the obvious democratic deficits, thus maintaining the impasse.ย 

I have to say, for a country that is barely 8% of the UK's population and supposedly scrounges off its southern neighbours, only kept afloat by the altruism and unbelievable generosity of a party we haven't voted for since the 1950's, they aren't half desperate to keep us at all costs. Of course, their apologists will say it's because their full name is the Conservative and UNIONIST Party, but then again, they were also pro-EU until recent years (wasn't it a Tory administration that took us IN to the European project in 1973?) but look how that changed.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Howard Marks said:

Aye, that's my understanding of his post.ย 

ย 

๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

Co-operation and comprise. If the budgets weren't passed I believe Parliament would have to be dissolved and an election triggered. Think it came quite close a couple of times.

I don't recall a formal coalition arrangement between the SNP and the Tories, although I do remember the Tories voting for the budgets.

Very much a one party minority administration though.

The only coalition government's we've had here have been, I think, the first two sessions (99-03 and 03-07) between Labour and Lib Dem's and I think the current arrangement with SNP and Greens. Even then, I don't believe that's been in operation the whole of this session.ย 
ย 

I think a lot of the arguing here is splitting hairs about what coalition means. Key word above is government.ย 

Passing budgets will almost always require a bit of concession to get it through if you don't have a majority. It's not really any different to motions or amendments to Bills that are passed throughout the course of parliamentary sessions. It's not unknown for opposition MSPs to be discussing with Government Ministers on tailoring amendments to a Bill that can be agreed that will get support from the rest of the party and be passed.ย 
ย 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, The Buzzard said:

The only coalition government's we've had here have been, I think, the first two sessions (99-03 and 03-07) between Labour and Lib Dem's and I think the current arrangement with SNP and Greens. Even then, I don't believe that's been in operation the whole of this session.ย 
ย 

I think a lot of the arguing here is splitting hairs about what coalition means. Key word above is government.ย 

Passing budgets will almost always require a bit of concession to get it through if you don't have a majority. It's not really any different to motions or amendments to Bills that are passed throughout the course of parliamentary sessions. It's not unknown for opposition MSPs to be discussing with Government Ministers on tailoring amendments to a Bill that can be agreed that will get support from the rest of the party and be passed.ย 
ย 

You are correct on the first two parliaments. Lollingly, the Scottish Parliament was designed not avoid have majorities, which occurred in 2011.

I think the SNP should soften their approach to the Tories/Westminster in general slightly. We've tried the "we hate everything they do" approach. Try and cooperate a bit more. Just leads to the constant butting of heads.ย 

38 minutes ago, Howard Marks said:

You are correct on the first two parliaments. Lollingly, the Scottish Parliament was designed not avoid have majorities, which occurred in 2011.

I think the SNP should soften their approach to the Tories/Westminster in general slightly. We've tried the "we hate everything they do" approach. Try and cooperate a bit more. Just leads to the constant butting of heads.ย 

You don't need to tell me about the head butting! Totally agree though, Parliament is at its best when people are working together and across party lines.ย 

56 minutes ago, Howard Marks said:

You wot?

14 hours ago, Howard Marks said:

Wine is a wonderful drink.ย 

I understood your point and it touches upon something huge here, in the way the British establishment rigs the game in their favour.

For WM elections, they maintain the FPTP system, as it routinely provides lop-sided (usually Tory, the establishment party of choice) majorities. For Holyrood and the devolved administrations in Cardiff and Belfast, it's variants of D'Hondt and PR, to best ensure majorities are scuppered (i.e. to keep the Celtic "Nationalist" parties at bay).

For the Scottish referendum, they insisted on residence being the criteria for voting (and proceeded to scaremonger all the EU/EEA migrants with threats of deportation if YES won and we'd be turfed out the EU) but proceeded to exclude same migrants from the EU referendum, to bolster the Leave vote.ย 

THe independence movement need to wake up and realise they will never get independence by entrusting the rules of the game to the very establishment they are trying to get away from.ย 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
On 2/22/2024 at 6:35 AM, CCB III said:

Tbh Nigeria seems like a hoot. Some good music comes out of Lagos and Nigerian food is meant to be banging.ย 
ย 

You're being one of the cunty Brits he's talking about.ย 

Can't be that great, half the cunts have moved to Aberdeen which this forum would have you believe is a shitehole