Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

51 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Moray and Aberdeenshire returning more Tory councillors than last set of elections.

No fool like an old farmer fool.

more like all the high earning oil barons* in the area

?

* esp those that dinna pay tax (mentioning no names b-mmg min)

On 5/5/2022 at 10:25 PM, Jocky Balboa said:

What does it say about Scotland's timid nature, that NI - until recent years the most devout region, outside SE England - will likely leave the UK within a decade? If they see the writing on the wall for this antiquated system, what's Scotland's excuse?

I've no time for the pseudo-Marxist Sinn Fein, or their IRA connections, but at least they refuse to take their seats in the WM shitshow and put up some semblance of (political) fight, unlike the subservient careerist chancers of the SNP. That is why the former will achieve their goal and the latter have destroyed Scotland's aspirations for years to come, despite a perfect storm and countless open goals. Weak.

Thats a very simplistic view on it though, the real fact is that the Catholics are outbreeding the Protestants in Northern Ireland and are now set to be come the majority. That, and the fact there are enough Northern Irish who see the Tories/British government for what they actually are means its only a matter of time. Their Proddies have largely come round to thinking its all a lot of pish, whilst our neanderthals still cling onto all that shite. As sad as it sounds, the Huns doing well in Europe is also a boost to the Union. 

Blame Huns and Aberdonians if you are looking for the real millstones that hang round the neck of Independence. 

• Upvote 3
31 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Looks like Ireland will be unified and free in a short matter of time. ??

Not a chance the orange cunts are giving up their Ulster to the nationalists without a fight. Hopefully resulting in the massacre of all the hun cunts and the Oirish taking back whats rightly theirs. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Not a chance the orange cunts are giving up their Ulster to the nationalists without a fight. Hopefully resulting in the massacre of all the hun cunts and the Oirish taking back whats rightly theirs. 

aye ok seamus 

On 4/29/2022 at 5:18 AM, CCB III said:

Scottish people are naturally subservient

I think Scots are naturally disputatious, determined and fiercely independent of mind (look at me, for example).

But 50 years of the welfare state and Labour turned many into supine 'client citizens' who understand the role of the State being as a provider.

15 years of the SNP on top of that has turned Scotland into Group Think Central.  Few are interested in what is objectively true or false, right or wrong -  no, people only care about being part of the group.  I think this is a symptom of the lack of confidence which comes from being a client citizen. 

You also see group think very starkly in the Scottish media - the "succulent lamb" culture isn't limited to football reporting, but also politics.

• Upvote 2
On 5/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, milne_afc said:

I'm not sure.  True, you do expect them to largely vote by tribe.

But would nationalists / republicans, used to the NHS, really want to vote to join a country where you have to pay 60 Euros just to see a GP?  And which has to ask a foreign power (Brussels) for permission to set its own financial budgets?  NI sets its own budget currently.

Would people in the south - already paying 60 Euros to see a GP - want their taxes to increase to take on the security burden of NI?

On 5/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, milne_afc said:

Although this is a seismic shift, it was largely predictable, due to demographic changes and the Brexit mismanagement. A border poll is still several years away, but definitely achievable by 2030.

7 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I think Scots are naturally disputatious, determined and fiercely independent of mind (look at me, for example).

But 50 years of the welfare state and Labour turned many into supine 'client citizens' who understand the role of the State being as a provider.

15 years of the SNP on top of that has turned Scotland into Group Think Central.  Few are interested in what is objectively true or false, right or wrong -  no, people only care about being part of the group.  I think this is a symptom of the lack of confidence which comes from being a client citizen. 

You also see group think very starkly in the Scottish media - the "succulent lamb" culture isn't limited to football reporting, but also politics.

This I agree with. The SNP under Sturgeon has been increasingly centralised, undemocratic and authoritarian. Sadly, many lap it up and/or condone it because of the "vote SNP until independence" mentality. They take their voters for granted as a result and the pathetic opposition means this continues in perpetuity.

6 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I'm not sure.  True, you do expect them to largely vote by tribe.

But would nationalists / republicans, used to the NHS, really want to vote to join a country where you have to pay 60 Euros just to see a GP?  And which has to ask a foreign power (Brussels) for permission to set its own financial budgets?  NI sets its own budget currently.

Would people in the south - already paying 60 Euros to see a GP - want their taxes to increase to take on the security burden of NI?

Respectfully, you omit context here; in the RoI for many years now, you can't get sparkies and plumbers for less than 30 Euros an hour. Professionals routinely make 40-60000 Euros a year. While many may not like paying for a doctor, to most workers there it is pocket change. Unlike the low wage economy the UK has been for far too long now.

There are many flaws in the Republic of Ireland, that is not in doubt, but economically it trounces the north and has done for well over 30 years now. The North is an economic basket case, reliant on WM money and cross-border trade. Even the one advantage it has over its Republican neighbour (healthcare) isn't that huge, when you consider the WHO league tables generally have the NHS only a few places above the insurance based system in RoI.

It's only going one way and as I said before, WM won't fight nearly as hard to keep NI as it does to keep Scotland.

11 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Haha

• Haha 1

Surprised he hasn’t asked Jesus to sort out all the shit, all powerful being and …… am sorry I can’t??

Independent of mind?, uses a 2000 year old joke book as a reference to live a good life?. Doesn’t really make sense that.

least he has the rapture to look forward to.

4 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Surprised he hasn’t asked Jesus to sort out all the shit, all powerful being and …… am sorry I can’t??

Independent of mind?, uses a 2000 year old joke book as a reference to live a good life?. Doesn’t really make sense that.

least he has the rapture to look forward to.

He’s going to hell for wanking over the tidy bird fae his work he was to shy to talk tae. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Respectfully, you omit context here; in the RoI for many years now, you can't get sparkies and plumbers for less than 30 Euros an hour. Professionals routinely make 40-60000 Euros a year. While many may not like paying for a doctor, to most workers there it is pocket change. Unlike the low wage economy the UK has been for far too long now.

There are many flaws in the Republic of Ireland, that is not in doubt, but economically it trounces the north and has done for well over 30 years now. The North is an economic basket case, reliant on WM money and cross-border trade. Even the one advantage it has over its Republican neighbour (healthcare) isn't that huge, when you consider the WHO league tables generally have the NHS only a few places above the insurance based system in RoI.

It's only going one way and as I said before, WM won't fight nearly as hard to keep NI as it does to keep Scotland.

I agree that WM would not resist the North's exit.  Britain would be delighted to see the back of NI - costs an absolute fortune, offers nothing in particular and is full of c*nts.

My only concern about a united Ireland is that Scotland might inherit the NI huns.  Otherwise, get rid.  It would even solve the post-brexit border issues!

Re healthcare - do the irish need to pay for health insurance, on top of income tax?

Is there not a stark economic divide in ROI - in terms of numbers of homeless* people, people who cannot afford to get on the housing ladder due to price, etc?

(*in Scotland homeless can count as people in a council hostel, but in ireland you are in a tent city from media pics I have seen).

As well as the healthcare, the cost of living in ROI is significantly more than the UK - another thing for northern voters to consider.  Its the 4th most expensive country in Western Europe, the UK is only 7th (and NI would be nearer the bottom of UK levels).  Dublin (imo over-rated) has a price index of  209, yet the far superior Edinburgh (praise indeed from a weegie) is only 158.  Belfast is just 135, not far off half Dublin's figure.

The north voters would also be moving to a new currency and system, where interest rates etc would not greatly consider their circumstances.

Before I was married I would see a girl in Cork.  She and her pal had bought a house together (couldn't afford anything alone) and had paid something like 300 grand for a semi-detached house which might have gone for 80k in Scotland (this is late 2000s).  I remember thinking the place was crazy and I bet those girls found themselves in big trouble (negative equity etc) after the financial crisis.

Edit - I still think many would vote tribally however, without much heed or even awareness of the possible consequences, much like here!