Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Bluto10 said:

it’s not exactly livin life to the full is it, moaning about politicians campaigning for a change of govt etc.

fuckin hell min, could be dead tomorrow (yes yes ?? …)

just don’t understand the notion of being associated with a political party or a cause

for losers imo

Get to fuck out of the Indy Ref thread then you dullard. 

7 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Not for jobs it wont be.

I disagree with that ..

Do you not agree that most people working in the oil industry can convert into the renewable energy .?

We have the ability to feed most of Europe with renewables with that comes jobs and plenty of them.

As separation from that government who hate the Scots and treat us as 2nd class citizens will create thousands and thousands of jobs .

You know that right..?

Just now, Edwin Starr said:

I disagree with that ..

Do you not agree that most people working in the oil industry can convert into the renewable energy .?

We have the ability to feed most of Europe with renewables with that comes jobs and plenty of them.

As separation from that government who hate the Scots and treat us as 2nd class citizens will create thousands and thousands of jobs .

You know that right..?

Not a chance that there will be same amount of jobs in renewable energy as there are in the Oil Industry. Look at the manning levels required to support an individual Oil & Gas asset and all of the services around it, then look at what is required to support renewables - a mere fraction of that. 

"You know that right..?" - In what industries will these jobs be created? Why aren't the Scottish Govt creating these job now, why wait until independence to do it? 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

That's great and obviously works for you. But what about the family of four who live in a rural town with shite transport links who need to get to work and do the likes of a weekly big shop etc. 

Public transport is centred around the large towns and cities only, one bus an hour or so to and from the likes of Ballater with no other options is shite.

Most small towns nowadays cater for everyone with various supermarkets clothes shops and bakers and the like.

That's why people from out with the city don't travel into Aberdeen town centre like they used to.

Just now, Edwin Starr said:

Most small towns nowadays cater for everyone with various supermarkets clothes shops and bakers and the like.

That's why people from out with the city don't travel into Aberdeen town centre like they used to.

Ahh so that's the only reason folk would need to venture into Aberdeen is it.... what about hospital appointments, concerts, nights out, shopping for stuff like other than supermarket clothes and food, hookers etc etc.

2 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Ahh so that's the only reason folk would need to venture into Aberdeen is it.... what about hospital appointments, concerts, nights out, shopping for stuff like other than supermarket clothes and food, hookers etc etc.

Never mind all that, as long as you can walk to a bakers.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Not a chance that there will be same amount of jobs in renewable energy as there are in the Oil Industry. Look at the manning levels required to support an individual Oil & Gas asset and all of the services around it, then look at what is required to support renewables - a mere fraction of that. 

"You know that right..?" - In what industries will these jobs be created? Why aren't the Scottish Govt creating these job now, why wait until independence to do it? 

Aye but these renewable plants will be all over Scotland making us billions serving much of Europe .

Europe needs Scotland to reach their targets another reason why the London government are desperate to hold onto Scotland .

They are making a fool of us and we are allowing it to happen .

You do know we make £5bn off renewable energy but it doesn't get added into Scotland's wealth .

The bigger the network the more the country will earn and the more jobs created . Which in turn will give us opportunities to do other projects just like Norway has.?

16 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I disagree with that ..

You know that right..?

You're wrong.  Far more generic design in renewables than oil and gas, nowhere near the manning required to support existing installations etc.  There won't be a fraction of the jobs.

How are we treated as second class citizens?

Ah who's making the claim.?

You bloody did ?

No the bus was going there was full .

Much more environmental friendly than a load of cars .

Much less environmentally friendly than staying at home.

1 minute ago, Edwin Starr said:

Aye but these renewable plants will be all over Scotland making us billions serving much of Europe .

Sorry, not following you here. When you say these "renewable plants" do you mean the wind / solar / tidal farms? If so, I refer you back to my original point - once they are built (of which very little actual manufacturing is done in Scotland) they need very little in the way of maintenance.

3 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

You do know we make £5bn off renewable energy but it doesn't get added into Scotland's wealth .

That would be a nice addition to the budget indeed but remember we need to invest £bn's up front to fund these projects which tend to take multiple years from conception to actual generating energy.

Focusing on the renewables industry is only one part of the proposal for independence and I would argue that for the majority it falls behind the likes of the NHS, Pensions, Transport etc in terms of importance for what people are concerned about with regards to the future of an independent Scotland.

15 minutes ago, NEM said:

You're wrong.  Far more generic design in renewables than oil and gas, nowhere near the manning required to support existing installations etc.  There won't be a fraction of the jobs.

How are we treated as second class citizens?

You bloody did ?

Much less environmentally friendly than staying at home.

The small amount of carbon footprint used with me on the bus meeting my Glasgow like minded mates was minimal for getting a statement out about how close we are with the planet on the verge of no return .

My wife is a Londoner her father worked for the London government as an engineer back in the 60s and into the 70s .

I am using his words on being treated as 2nd class citizens .

He came back to Aberdeen to teach engineering at Aberdeen university .

6 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Sorry, not following you here. When you say these "renewable plants" do you mean the wind / solar / tidal farms? If so, I refer you back to my original point - once they are built (of which very little actual manufacturing is done in Scotland) they need very little in the way of maintenance.

That would be a nice addition to the budget indeed but remember we need to invest £bn's up front to fund these projects which tend to take multiple years from conception to actual generating energy.

Focusing on the renewables industry is only one part of the proposal for independence and I would argue that for the majority it falls behind the likes of the NHS, Pensions, Transport etc in terms of importance for what people are concerned about with regards to the future of an independent Scotland.

Do you get up in the morning ?.

The pensions are coming in one door and out the other because of mismanagement by our neighbours down south .

That's why the tories put up the pension age they can't afford to keep paying it .66 for me and rising for the pensioners of tomorrow.

The transport that's the first time anyone has spoke to me about that . 

3 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

Do you get up in the morning ?.

The pensions are coming in one door and out the other because of mismanagement by our neighbours down south .

That's why the tories put up the pension age they can't afford to keep paying it .66 for me and rising for the pensioners of tomorrow.

The transport that's the first time anyone has spoke to me about that . 

Pensions - this is where we need the SNP to come out with their take on what a pension in an independent Scotland will look like and why it will be better for all. Only a few months ago Ian Blackford said the UK Government would have to continue paying the state pension to people living in Scotland in the event of independence. No real point in focusing on pensions if its going to the same in an Independent Scotland as it currently is as part of the Union. 

Pension age is indeed increasing in the UK but that's a common problem across Europe as populations live longer. The SNP are very keen on using other countries as "examples" of what a small independent country can achieve and quite often site Norway and Iceland, yet they don't highlight that the Pension age in both these countries is 67 for both Men and Women!

1 hour ago, Edwin Starr said:

I disagree with that ..

You know that right..?

Haha you made your money as a Gas Engineer.

You into Heat Pumps now then,seems to be the latest scam going.