Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, CCB III said:

Caledonia, see when you're engaging in political discussion, best to link to reputable sources and not just post things in a meme format. 

Im not meaning to insult you, but it makes you look like someone's grandad on Facebook. 

“Fuck off you Tory yoon”

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Roberto said:

How's Scotland doing under the SNP? Shite.

How's the UK doing under the Tories? Shit.

How did the UK do under Labour? Shite.

How did the Lib Dems get on when they got in bed with the Tories? Shite.

All parties have their scandals and sex pests.

You get what I'm saying.

If your vote made a difference do you think they would give you one? Give over.

This doesn't add anything to the argument of independence. 

Government might end up being shite, but at least it would be our problem/mess. We'd at least have some control. 

there's no doubt in an independent Scotland there'll be unpopular parties in power. Point isn't about that though, it's about having the ability to actually choose. 

It really is as simple as, Scotland haven't voted majority Tory since the 50's, yet for about 70% of that time they've had rule over us. 

No system of democracy is perfect, and the one in an independent Scotland wouldn't be either,  but at least, at they very least, the folk we vote for, would be the folk we get. 

5 minutes ago, caledonia said:

https://theferret.scot/scotland-highest-tax-uk-mostly-false/

you make it so easy i told you already stop reading the Daily Mail 

Aye the ferret sounds a much more reliable source ?

However, when compared to the rest of the UK, many Scots pay more tax. All those earning more than £27,000 pay more in Scotland.”

….and that articles 3 years old. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61667455

• Upvote 1

My issue isn't so much amount of tax, more so where the tax money goes. SNP have had many failings, but it's clear the Tories are using our tax money to the benefit/profit of friends/family or whatever. Public money is being thrown into the private sector at frightening speed. 

That T/T 34 billion or whatever it was to a company with previous history in such matters was just outright, stinking corruption. 34 billion pounds. That's an insane amount of money that could've went to many better causes. 

Under the tories there's been a gradual depression of wages, they refuse to make a living wage law, and they offer public sector workers paltry pay rises. 

In just about every measure, life in England/arguably the UK, has worsened since the pig fucker was elected in 2011.

It's understandable why so many want to leave. 

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

Caledonia, see when you're engaging in political discussion, best to link to reputable sources and not just post things in a meme format. 

Im not meaning to insult you, but it makes you look like someone's grandad on Facebook. 

Cool story but as i said before i post what i want not what the bandwagoners want.

11 hours ago, caledonia said:

You need to stop believing establishment people with a vested interest.

Of course STV etc are going to dig out someone against it.

But they never seem to ask them the correct questions like if its not a thing why has it already been done in a UK general election in 1918 with Ireland?

8842650-B-EABF-44-E9-8-AAA-1490-EB8-D14-

Yawn 

Do you know who he is ffs 

He's the man who's written the books (literally) on the snp and independence and the snp govt have invited him to become a contributor to multiple committees.

You though, not a fucking clue.

1 hour ago, NEM said:

Where did you read that? The beano, sorry I mean the National 

Obviously he can speak for himself but I think he means via the 19% tax rate people up to approx £26k (iirc) pay less tax in Scotland than in rest of uk.

Higher rate taxpayers pay more as our HRT kicks in at approx £43k not £50k like in Eng and is at 41% not 40%. 

Overall, more people pay less tax as HRTs are a smaller group. 

So, we raise more tax overall than rest of UK but lower earners pay less than their non Scot counterparts. 

As far as I am concerned this is a well thought out progressive tax policy. 

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

Yawn 

Do you know who he is ffs 

He's the man who's written the books (literally) on the snp and independence and the snp govt have invited him to become a contributor to multiple committees.

You though, not a fucking clue.

Yawn its already been debunked

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Who cares?

Fuck the Tories and all that but deep down, how the fuck can anyone be arsed caring THAT much who someone does or doesn't vote for.

You probably vote SNP. Fuck those cunts as well.

You cared enough to post and i don't vote SNP

22 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

Obviously he can speak for himself but I think he means via the 19% tax rate people up to approx £26k (iirc) pay less tax in Scotland than in rest of uk.

Higher rate taxpayers pay more as our HRT kicks in at approx £43k not £50k like in Eng and is at 41% not 40%. 

Overall, more people pay less tax as HRTs are a smaller group. 

So, we raise more tax overall than rest of UK but lower earners pay less than their non Scot counterparts. 

As far as I am concerned this is a well thought out progressive tax policy

Think it’s £27k. Are the majority of working Scots earning less than £13 an hour?

The merits or otherwise of the policy wasn’t the point being discussed. 

14 minutes ago, NEM said:

Think it’s £27k. Are the majority of working Scots earning less than £13 an hour?

The merits or otherwise of the policy wasn’t the point being discussed. 

Not just workers who pay tax though. 
Need to add in pensioners,  hence the majority of people are under £27k (thanks for clarifying the amt)

There does seem to be a trend of Tory party members/affiliates being beasts. 

More of a trend than any anti semitism in Labour. 

Why aren't the media asking the question; 

"What are the Conservative party going to do about their sex pest issue?"

Who knows?

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

1.) Pretty sure the dude who used to run the Bank of England has said it's "entirely feasible" that Scotland could keep the pound. England don't want us to go Independent, they are hardly going to willingly iron out an issue that gives credence to their side. 

2.) Pensions is a bit of a strange one. I'm probably going to come across as ignorant, but here goes; why is it impossible that a Scottish person who is due a UK state pension, can't still receive it, in an independent Scotland? Surely the DWP has individual files on what everyone is due and when etc etc. Why can't there be an agreement reached where, in the event of independence, they still get their pension? They've paid their dues on it, how would it be reasonable/fair it was kept in England and they couldn't access it? Surely a transfer of records/the amount for Scottish folks would be easy enough done, no?

Apologies if I sound stupid. 

1) 

Scotland can keep the pound, it's no problem to do so, however the issues of having no central bank and no control over said currency are the real problem.

In addition if you have, as an individual, debts and liabilities in the currency of a nation that you do not live in...

It's fairly complex stuff all in all.

2)

Pensions are paid from current revenues, ergo the Scottish exchequer would need to meet those liabilities.

Again, not an insurmountable problem, but something that given the demography of Scotland, as things stand would not be cheap or easy.

These are at the end of the are policy decisions for an independent government.

However, surely you can see how people with mortgages, savings in pounds and in receipt of pensions from the UK government would look for some clarity around this before commiting.

1 minute ago, patrick bateman said:

1) 

Scotland can keep the pound, it's no problem to do so, however the issues of having no central bank and no control over said currency are the real problem.

In addition if you have, as an individual, debts and liabilities in the currency of a nation that you do not live in...

It's fairly complex stuff all in all.

2)

Pensions are paid from current revenues, ergo the Scottish exchequer would need to meet those liabilities.

Again, not an insurmountable problem, but something that given the demography of Scotland, as things stand would not be cheap or easy.

These are at the end of the are policy decisions for an independent government.

However, surely you can see how people with mortgages, savings in pounds and in receipt of pensions from the UK government would look for some clarity around this before commiting.

1.) Why couldn't a central bank be made? What have other countries done upon independence? Surely there's ways around it whereby we can avoid calamity. There's probably a sensible answer to be found, but it'll undoubtedly be obscured by WM/Unionists. 

2.) Yeah. I get the apprehension, totally. It just seems like if there's a will, there's a way. Is there ever going to be clarification on it if WM/Engerland refuse to play ball on it? Surely it's in their interests to obscure the possibility of it being resolved? 

You get a lot of "the SNP can't give answers on this" but is there even a way they can get any? 

I genuinely don't know. 

• Upvote 1