Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, CCB III said:

"I had a shit time of it so everyone else should have to."

My only assertion is that housing should be more accessible, and in terms of the private market- it should be at least in line with wages. 

I don't think that's asking for much. I'd argue the case for anyone, too, the laziest cunt on Earth, and the biggest grafter, I believe you should have a right to your own home. 

Go and apply for a council house and stop crying.

21 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

It just means you have a closed ,selective mind .

With your reasoning why did’nt you mention that.

Because it does’nt suit your narrative.

So, every time the merits of a PM is discussed- I'm to mention the merits of another PM or I'm being selective? 

We were talking about thatcher. If you want to talk about Harold Wilson feel free to start that conversation. 

Your point about him doesn't negate a thing I said about Maggie. 

You're not contributing anything to the convo. 

1 minute ago, CCB III said:

So, every time the merits of a PM is discussed- I'm to mention the merits of another PM or I'm being selective? 

We were talking about thatcher. If you want to talk about Harold Wilson feel free to start that conversation. 

Your point about him doesn't negate a thing I said about Maggie. 

You're not contributing anything to the convo. 

Just try and add a bit of balance to your arguments .

4 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

2 bed flats under 100k readily on the market.

Snobby little turds want a fancy new build though these days.

Aye it’s a nonsense to suggest it’s “impossible” to get on the housing market. Nobody is saying it’s easy but the concept of “sacrifice” that Moobs mentioned is an alien one to many. 

9 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I don't disagree in some ways. 

But it's a different kind of struggle now, we can't own anything- we won't get state pensions, we probably won't retire. 

Aye it's mental we have wee computers in our pockets and can get what you want to your door, but that's just a change in the culture. 

More than since, maybe the 19th century, are people at the behest of their employers. On shitty contracts, limited prospects etc.

Things are definitely more convenient but for me, it's not always better. 

C'mon min. You think pensions will be abolished? Seriously?

Just now, NEM said:

Aye it’s a nonsense to suggest it’s “impossible” to get on the housing market. Nobody is saying it’s easy but the concept of “sacrifice” that Moobs mentioned is an alien one to many. 

It's largely dependent on where you live. 

But chuck in this cost of living shit now, it becomes even less feasible. 

How much should one have to sacrifice to get a house? Is say, 5 years of your 20's staying in, hardly going out, no holidays, ultra saving, worth it for a house? 

How much enjoyment in your life is reasonable to give away to get a house? 

Im not saying people shouldn't have to sacrifice but at the rates of housing compared to wages now (a huge thing you've not mentioned) means they'll be sacrificing a lot more than when previous generations were saving for houses. 

So, it's easy to say "just do this" when actually, you wouldn't have had to do it, to that extent. 

6 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Remember when there was an advert on the TV when a bird had to stand on a yellow pages to kiss some bloke.

It's not relevant to the conversation but when I was reading this thread my mind wandered.

Yeah that's my contribution.

Aye, actually I do, about the same time as the pea and ham fae a chicken advert

baxters I think

smashing

1 minute ago, NEM said:

My wee cousin moans like fuck they can't buy a flat but won't countenance living in the areas they can afford. It's a mad attitude. Pay a fortune in rent, 3 holidays a year, 2 brand new cars.

2 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

C'mon min. You think pensions will be abolished? Seriously?

State pensions more or less are 

I'm not so sure private pensions will still be about in say, 50 years when I get to retire (if I'm still alive.) 

A lot of people think this, too. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
14 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

It's a tried a tested method.

Even once I got my first place I'd go days with no electricity cause I'd spunked the last of my cash on an XTC tablet and night out instead of an electricity card.

No electricity these days would be front page, best sad face news and 4 days of Consie arguing on their behalf.

Ain't that the truth.

One time I woke up at home after a sesh and found that my scrotum was sweatily slathered to my leg, when the norm was to have both testicles and bag hiding up inside the pubis to escape the minus temperature in my living room.

My mate was sleeping happily in front of the fire with all three bars glowing like a Japanese sky in 2022.

Push twice to activate emergency credit.

Sakes man.

A casual month of a normal modern crybaby.

Top phone contract 40quid

10 fancy coffees 50quid

Takeaways 50quid

Eating out 100quid

Cocktails n showing off 200quid

Fiat500 lease 400quid

Shit trainers 100quid.

Fake tan and haircuts 150quid.

Trim off some fat, and they could be drinking tins of warm Strongbow in a candlelit 2 bed flat in Tilly in no time.

Have a good time yes of course, but don't take your eyes off the prize.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, CCB III said:

It's largely dependent on where you live. 

But chuck in this cost of living shit now, it becomes even less feasible. 

How much should one have to sacrifice to get a house? Is say, 5 years of your 20's staying in, hardly going out, no holidays, ultra saving, worth it for a house? 

How much enjoyment in your life is reasonable to give away to get a house? 

Im not saying people shouldn't have to sacrifice but at the rates of housing compared to wages now (a huge thing you've not mentioned) means they'll be sacrificing a lot more than when previous generations were saving for houses. 

So, it's easy to say "just do this" when actually, you wouldn't have had to do it, to that extent. 

Depends on your priorities. Plenty have done it before. If you’d rather piss your cash up against the wall that’s fine, owning a house isn’t the be all and end all but don’t cry about the older generation cause you’re not getting absolutely everything handed on a plate 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

My wee cousin moans like fuck they can't buy a flat but won't countenance living in the areas they can afford. It's a mad attitude. Pay a fortune in rent, 3 holidays a year, 2 brand new cars.

See, that's daft. 

But it's probably not the rule, and more so the exception. 

Just now, CCB III said:

State pensions more or less are 

I'm not so sure private pensions will still be about in say, 50 years when I get to retire (if I'm still alive.) 

A lot of people think this, too. 

I think you might be mistaken on that Consi.

Companies make a fortune from private pensions, why would they stop offering them?

Just now, cheesepipes said:

A casual month of a normal modern crybaby.

Top phone contract 40quid

10 fancy coffees 50quid

Takeaways 50quid

Eating out 100quid

Cocktails n showing off 200quid

Fiat500 lease 400quid

Shit trainers 100quid.

Fake tan and haircuts 150quid.

Trim off some fat, and they could be drinking tins of warm Strongbow in a candlelit 2 bed flat in Tilly in no time.

Have a good time yes of course, but don't take your eyes off the prize.

What a pile of shite ?

42 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

If you are saving for a deposit for a house you have to sacrifice. It's a simple concept.

Yep. Even when I bought my first gaff, a lot of my weekends were quiet ones with a few cans. Used to buy 3kg bags of pasta every other week, as that did the job for a few dinners. 

Plenty young uns at work are stoating about in brand new mercs/beemers/Audis etc, paying the equivalent of a mortgage on a decent place every month, whilst moaning they can't afford a flat/house. 

6 minutes ago, NEM said:

Depends on your priorities. Plenty have done it before. If you’d rather piss your cash up against the wall that’s fine, owning a house isn’t the be all and end all but don’t cry about the older generation cause you’re not getting absolutely everything handed on a plate 

But they literally got their houses handed to them on a plate? 

And are quick to bemoan "the younger generation" and the perceived entitlement. When actually, they got good social housing, the ability to buy those houses for cheap, good wages, good contracts, strong unions, etc etc etc, good benefits if you were out of work, and so and so forth. Not only did they have better working lives/contracts etc, they had security from the state, too. 

They are also the last generation to get good state pensions. I think it's quite just to turn around and tell them to fuck off with their "spoiled" generation crap, when it's actually the other way round! 

10 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

A single person on 20k a year can buy a flat in Dundee with a 6k deposit.

I don't know a single person in Dundee on 20k a year. Maybe one of my mates who works at a fancy restaurant, but he's doing silly hours for that. 

A lot of Dundees economy is the service industry, retail etc, a handful of people in that type of work will be on a salary like that. 

I think the most I earned working at the cinema in Douglas was 9K a year. Begging them for hours. 

2 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

It's pretty close to the average modern crybaby.

What's your view on getting a second part time job , negative I'd imagine.

Something else I had to do to keep up a mortgage and a vibrant rave scene. 

He’s already got one - posting on here although it’s closer to full time hours 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

But they literally got their houses handed to them on a plate? 

And are quick to bemoan "the younger generation" and the perceived entitlement. When actually, they got good social housing, the ability to buy those houses for cheap, good wages, good contracts, strong unions, etc etc etc, good benefits if you were out of work, and so and so forth. Not only did they have better working lives/contracts etc, they had security from the state, too. 

They are also the last generation to get good state pensions. I think it's quite just to turn around and tell them to fuck off with their "spoiled" generation crap, when it's actually the other way round! 

You're arguing with people who ignore actual evidence and think that their prejudiced opinions outweigh facts. 

You can't reason with some people. It's best not to try. 

3 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

It's pretty close to the average modern crybaby.

What's your view on getting a second part time job , negative I'd imagine.

Something else I had to do to keep up a mortgage and a vibrant rave scene. 

My view is that you can do it if you want to,  but you shouldn't have to. 

You also get taxed harder on that now, know a few folk who've done it and concluded it's pointless because of that. 

Should your whole life be working or should you be able to get a house for a reasonable price, and maybe enjoy a wee rave every other weekend. 

As for the "modern crybaby" there's no doubt there are folk who lead double lives to impress. I know folk in fairly modest jobs but going off their insta you'd think they were fuckin made. That's how it is, unfortunately, but that's the loudest people, most folk are just plodding along trying their best to find balance between enjoyment and responsibility.