Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

But they literally got their houses handed to them on a plate? 

And are quick to bemoan "the younger generation" and the perceived entitlement. When actually, they got good social housing, the ability to buy those houses for cheap, good wages, good contracts, strong unions, etc etc etc, good benefits if you were out of work, and so and so forth. Not only did they have better working lives/contracts etc, they had security from the state, too. 

They are also the last generation to get good state pensions. I think it's quite just to turn around and tell them to fuck off with their "spoiled" generation crap, when it's actually the other way round! 

That bit is havers Consi. Dole in the 70's and 80's was shite. You reckon Thatcher was kind to the unemployed?

15 minutes ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Ain't that the truth.

One time I woke up at home after a sesh and found that my scrotum was sweatily slathered to my leg, when the norm was to have both testicles and bag hiding up inside the pubis to escape the minus temperature in my living room.

My mate was sleeping happily in front of the fire with all three bars glowing like a Japanese sky in 2022.

Push twice to activate emergency credit.

Sakes man.

Sometimes that five quid emergency credit had already been pressed but the lure of flange n drugs was just too much and off you went, aggressively pointing at the DJ with not a care in the world.

5 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I don't know a single person in Dundee on 20k a year. Maybe one of my mates who works at a fancy restaurant, but he's doing silly hours for that. 

A lot of Dundees economy is the service industry, retail etc, a handful of people in that type of work will be on a salary like that. 

I think the most I earned working at the cinema in Douglas was 9K a year. Begging them for hours. 

I know loads of them. There's young cunts at my wife's work taking home £2k a month in their hand. Boys on the bins are on 19 to 20k a year.

If you're working full time at the minute 20k is more than achievable.

20k a year is 50p an hour above minimum wage.

• Upvote 1

No one got a house handed to them 

That's just nonsense

My mum never thought she'd own a home but saved to get the deposit for the first flat her and my dad owned and by god did she have to scrimp and save.

I was fortunate that I went from uni into a relatively well paid job and was able to have my cake and eat it.

Whilst it is true that the average wage and average house price ratios are massively out of whack compared to previous periods in time, it's also equally true that the multiplier of your salary/earnings you can borrow for a mortgage are also different and that helps to redress the disparity.

In addition, unless (in Scotland) you are looking to buy in Edinburgh, nowhere is that expensive.

This idea that it's lattes and avocado toast that prevents the younger people getting property is a fallacy but there is (as demonstrated by consi here) a general unwillingness to make the spending decisions required.

6 minutes ago, CCB III said:

But they literally got their houses handed to them on a plate? 

And are quick to bemoan "the younger generation" and the perceived entitlement. When actually, they got good social housing, the ability to buy those houses for cheap, good wages, good contracts, strong unions, etc etc etc, good benefits if you were out of work, and so and so forth. Not only did they have better working lives/contracts etc, they had security from the state, too. 

They are also the last generation to get good state pensions. I think it's quite just to turn around and tell them to fuck off with their "spoiled" generation crap, when it's actually the other way round! 

The entire generation ? Not quite. My folks certainly didn't.

Mortgage rates in the 80s were 15% at one point. Folk are moaning about the current rates, despite them being a fraction of this.

9 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I don't know a single person in Dundee on 20k a year. Maybe one of my mates who works at a fancy restaurant, but he's doing silly hours for that. 

A lot of Dundees economy is the service industry, retail etc, a handful of people in that type of work will be on a salary like that. 

I think the most I earned working at the cinema in Douglas was 9K a year. Begging them for hours. 

You don’t know a single person in Dundee working full time on more than the minimum wage? Find that hard to believe 

Just now, cheesepipes said:

Fuck off you wank.

Your opinion of Parkie aside, is he wrong? 

Wages aren't going up with house prices. 

It's harder now to get a house than it's ever been. 

No amount of prejudicial stereotypes about a younger generation changes that fact. 

"I had to do X" isn't really a consolation, because as you can see by the the graph posted here; 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/05/how-uk-house-prices-have-soared-ahead-average-wages

When you were saving for a house/mortgage etc, it's likely your wages were in line with the cost of the house. That's reasonable. Assuming it was mid 90's.

Now, a house will cost probably twice as much as you take in. Not reasonable. 

So you saying "well I did this" is as useful to me or anyone else as the price of milk in Mumbai, CP.  The situation you had then, is vastly different to now. 

1 minute ago, NEM said:

You don’t know a single person in Dundee working full time on more than the minimum wage? Find that hard to believe 

That's my point. 

People don't get full time contracts like that anymore. Especially in service and retail. They did before. 

1 minute ago, CCB III said:

No amount of prejudicial stereotypes about a younger generation changes that fact. 

"I had to do X" isn't really a consolation, because as you can see by the the graph posted here; 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/05/how-uk-house-prices-have-soared-ahead-average-wages

When you were saving for a house/mortgage etc, it's likely your wages were in line with the cost of the house. That's reasonable. Assuming it was mid 90's.

So you saying "well I did this" is as useful to me or anyone else as the price of milk in Mumbai, CP.  The situation you had then, is vastly different to now. 

Countered by the difference in interest rates and the amount you can borrow now compared to previous generations (likely a major factor in the wages to house price disparity tbf)

5 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

The entire generation ? Not quite. My folks certainly didn't.

Mortgage rates in the 80s were 15% at one point. Folk are moaning about the current rates, despite them being a fraction of this.

Ok, exceptions to the rule, as always!!!!!

Everyone else is making generalisations so I've made a few!!!!!

How much would their deposit have been? And how much would the house have been? 

Just now, NEM said:

Countered by the difference in interest rates and the amount you can borrow now compared to previous generations (likely a major factor in the wages to house price disparity tbf)

So it's as easy now, as it was then, despite all evidence to the contrary? 

3 minutes ago, CCB III said:

My first gaff cost over 4 times as much as I was making at the time, consi. My mortgage was over 40% of my monthly wage. I was skint. 

(in the 00s)

Abdy; 

Bloody younger generation lazy, entitled cunts, don't have the discipline to save for a house blah blah 

Me; 

Older generation had their houses given to them on a plate 

Abdy; 

HOW CAN YOU GENERALISE LIKE THAT??

Its a pointless convo. Yous believe what you want to believe. 

Just now, DD1903 said:

My first gaff cost over 4 times as much as I was making at the time, consi. My mortgage was over 40% of my monthly wage. I was skint. 

(in the 00s)

House prices have calmed down massively in the past 5-10 years compared to the 2000’s, certainly in Aberdeen. 

2 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

(in the 00s)

That was your choose to buy an expensive gaff. The point is that even your median range gaff is overly expensive now. 

Could you have got something cheaper and less expensive that was smaller/in a worse area?