Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Bad_Mobby said:

DNRT

Attention spans being what they are today (it takes around 60s to read and digest that) I'm not surprised, but I've no idea why you felt the need to publicly admit it. Very constructive response.

25 minutes ago, ScottSteiner said:

Because there are more important things than money.

Nationhood, culture and a shared history for starters.

Fine sentiments, but the reality of the modern British state is somewhat different. That much of England uses the terms Britain/England interchangeably belies their feelings on the matter. 

4 minutes ago, ScottSteiner said:

I get annoyed by the way the terms 'Britain' and 'England' are used sometimes used interchangeably, not just by them, but by citizens of other countries too, like the USA for example.

IMO it's a mixture of laziness, arrogance, stupidity and a lack of education.

This doesn't change my feelings on the nation itself though.  I'd love Britain, even if it was full of Communists or people equally as abhorrent.

Letting the incorrect use of language by some dictate my sense of nationhood would be a sign of a lack of confidence.

And I have plenty of confidence in Britain and her people, believe you me.

Britain doesn't include Northern Ireland....

As I've said before though, I do believe that any UK government, although they daren't admit it publicly, would be extremely happy to divest itself of NI and the attendant problems, not least of which is the massive drain of cash it costs to keep it in the UK. 

Conversely, the last thing they'd want to see is Scotland leaving though

16 minutes ago, ScottSteiner said:

And I have plenty of confidence in Britain and her people, believe you me.

Thats how i feel about Scotland.

No doubts whatsoever that we are a smart enough bunch to run our own affairs, certainly no worse than the current crop. And this devolved nonsense isnt an independent government before someone tries to say it is.

3 minutes ago, ScottSteiner said:

Oh, Northern Ireland's part of Britain alright.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of Tory MPs who'd fight tooth and nail to keep Ulster.

Aye the proddy bigots who hate the republicans. No that doesnt surprise me at all. Fucking right they’ll fight tooth and nail to keep Ulster. Not for the right reasons tho is it.

5 minutes ago, ScottSteiner said:

Oh, Northern Ireland's part of Britain alright.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of Tory MPs who'd fight tooth and nail to keep Ulster.

Quick Apologies:

Great Britain is the official collective name of of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands. It does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with 'UK' 

11 minutes ago, ScottSteiner said:

I’m afraid you have an incorrect assessment as to the insight of the minds of the Tories.

What ive said isnt personal opinion, its not an assessment, its historical fact.

You clearly have no idea what youre talking about. You’re a tory who is extremely naive and ignorant on the subject of the conservative party and British colonialism, in the context of Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Thats how i feel about Scotland.

No doubts whatsoever that we are a smart enough bunch to run our own affairs, certainly no worse than the current crop. And this devolved nonsense isnt an independent government before someone tries to say it is.

I used to believe this.  But we just can't get there from here

Our political classes are so easily captured by the legal and financial establishment

And as a nation we have no rebellion left in us... the english revolted to defeat the poll tax, frankly we did fuck all

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Britain doesn't include Northern Ireland....

As I've said before though, I do believe that any UK government, although they daren't admit it publicly, would be extremely happy to divest itself of NI and the attendant problems, not least of which is the massive drain of cash it costs to keep it in the UK. 

Conversely, the last thing they'd want to see is Scotland leaving though

Agreed, I think significant numbers of people in the corridors of people would love to get NI off the books, not least because it is financially a basket case with an unreasonably large public sector, while it offers little in the way of return and survives on the UK coffers. 

2 hours ago, Simply Red said:

Aye the proddy bigots who hate the republicans. No that doesnt surprise me at all. Fucking right they’ll fight tooth and nail to keep Ulster. Not for the right reasons tho is it.

One thing people overlook is that Ulster and NI, despite being used interchangeably, are not the same thing. The former is Eire's northern province, consisting of 9 of the 32 counties. NI is 6 of those 9 (Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan were ceded to the Free State). Those not in the know may wonder why the UK government went to such lengths to partition the province as such, just to hold on to the small NE corner of the island. It wasn't just 1920's demographics, rather it was the industrial powerhouse of the island. Of course, times have changed massively, as it's not only fallen way behind its neighbour, it's been one of the poorest states in Western Europe for decades. The establishment no doubt wishes to retain Scotland for similar reasons today.

11 hours ago, daytripping said:

The SNP and Greens want to kill our biggest resource, that would decimate the North East. Yeah let's import gas and oil, long as we're not producing it all is well, hey it causes more harm to the environment but who cares. People still vote for them, fuck that. Conservatives are the only party who've proven how to run a Country well, long may they subsidise us.  

I don't think you are being serious.

There's much more to Scotland than oil and gas .

Thought you'd know that.

Regarding the Tories they are an embarrassment and self serving lot of public school boys who treat Scots as second class citizens but you do know that right.

Show me where they subsidise Scotland via the figures you have and how they come to them.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I don't think you are being serious.

Thought you'd know that.

Regarding the Tories they are an embarrassment and self serving lot of public school boys who treat Scots as second class citizens but you do know that right.

Show me where they subsidise Scotland via the figures you have and how they come to them.

In simple terms Scotland gives UK gov £10 they give Scotland £5 back then claim they subsidise us £5.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

Correct, we have the likes of tourism, golf, farming, fishing, food, whisky, renewables and many other amazing industries.

However we have still have a huge reliance on Oil & Gas (not simply from an energy perspective) and the industry is responsible for tens of thousands of jobs that to simply cut it off would be, in my view, disastrous and pointless.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Correct, we have the likes of tourism, golf, farming, fishing, food, whisky, renewables and many other amazing industries.

However we have still have a huge reliance on Oil & Gas (not simply from an energy perspective) and the industry is responsible for tens of thousands of jobs that to simply cut it off would be, in my view, disastrous and pointless.

That's why competent governments would've spent the past 30 years using some of the proceeds of oil and gas to invest in renewable energy, putting Scotland at the centre of the industry. 

Unfortunately we've been led by short sighted dumplings at Westminster. Bizarrely some people use the complete incompetence of the Westminster government as a reason why we shouldn't be independent. 😂

• Upvote 1