Snap General Election Announced Today

vanderark14

hilarious

are you telling me having £2m transferred to you right now wouldn't make you happier?

My wife's cousin is 40 years old and has been diagnosed with a form of motor neuron disease.

She might manage to survive 3 or so years max.

She's a university graduate who sacrificed her career to be with her (now 16 year old) son when he was growing up and due to this decision, the family didn't have a huge amount of material things however they were and still are one of the happiest families that I know.

She told me that she is not angry with the world for her disease and in fact she is happy to have seen her son grow up, money can help grease the gears in the modern world but it is not the be all and end all.

My daughter met Prince Charles today. She had made a Saltire flag and he spoke to her about it.

He was wondering around the youngests school this morning. He kept right away from him, came home and said some weirdo with in a skirt with huge ears was tapping up the P1's

He then went down to Morrisons to smell the deprivation.

I'm pro-indy, as I've made clear on here, but I'm also against the EU and have been equally vocal in my criticism of the SNP. I call it as I see it and last week was a near disaster, waiting to happen. Many decry Jim Sillars as an old fool, but for my money his latest article on Commonspace hits the nail on the head - Sturgeon massively overplayed her hand with the EU result and the impact (or rather, lack thereof) it would have on the constitutional question.

A few thoughts I'll put out there:

• Not only have Sturgeon/Murrell refused to acknowledge that around 35-40% of independence supporters want OUT of the EU, they have spent the last 3 years behaving like rock stars, touring the arenas to adoring masses, yet never subjecting the 2014 referendum case to any public scrutiny.

• The pro-indy majority at Holyrood stands until 2021. Why did she jump the gun on voting through Indyref2 in March, before Brexit talks even started, when she could (and should?) have kept her powder dry, as it were, waiting until the scenario was becoming clearer. She only has herself to blame for the backlash, where her enemies painted this as an "obsession".

• Given the membership surge from 24000 in 2014 to over 120000, why do they still insist on a top-down authoritarian approach, with limited membership engagement? If the last campaign taught them anything, it's that the campaign for independence is a very broad church

• Further to the lack of scrutiny surely they must have seen the Tory resurgence in Grampian and Perthshire coming, given they both returned convincing NO votes in 2014? Why was no effort made, outwardly at least, to address this?

• Some suggest the SNP should drop their (some would say outdated) "independence in Europe" pitch in favour of an EFTA/EEA deal akin to Norway, Iceland and Switzerland. While that's my preferred option, why don't they just instead offer a 2nd EU referendum after independence, within the 1st parliamentary term of the proposed new state? That would allow all pro-indy voices to be heard fairly.

• I have no crystal ball, but I correctly predicted a NO vote followed by Neverendum, as well as a Cameron victory and subsequently a Leave vote. I also said there would be a rightward direction of travel, aided by DUP/UKIP influence, over the direction of the UK. I will also predict here and now that Sturgeon will not be the FM who delivers independence. I hope I am proved wrong, I really do, because having lived in a DUP stronghold I can tell you how appalling it is that these clowns now hold the balance of power.

• The pro-indy majority at Holyrood stands until 2021. Why did she jump the gun on voting through Indyref2 in March, before Brexit talks even started, when she could (and should?) have kept her powder dry, as it were, waiting until the scenario was becoming clearer. She only has herself to blame for the backlash, where her enemies painted this as an "obsession".

Political posturing and an attempt to get a bigger say in the Brexit negotiations. Looking for control over Scotland's immigration, access to the single market and other concessions for either the entire UK or just Scotland.

May has treated all the devolved parliaments with complete contempt when it comes to all things Brexit. She hasnt even bothered answering the letters both Wales and Scotland has written with their points, wants and needs from the negotiations. She has said she'd be inclusive, all she's done is tell the Scottish parliament to fuck off and get in its box.

Sturgeon saw pushing that vote through as her leverage to get a seat at the Brexit table. May had been very forceful in her denials that a snap election would be called and I think Sturgeon saw it as the biggest bullet she had in her arsenal with no election imminent.

A complete miscalculation on her part, one thats set her party back a few years, made her the second biggest loser in the election and one that ultimately let May keep her job even if her coat is on an affa shoogly peg.

There's only 2 ways I can see the SNP reclaiming a lot of what its lost. Short term it will have to push back on its demand for another referendum, take that off the table so it cant be used as a stick to beat them with. Long term they have to hope the Tory party is true to form and it completely fucks over the fishermen and farmers that blindly backed then after being promised that Scotland will be given powers over fishing and agriculture (we won't) after Brexit, the UK wont take in cheap lamb from New Zeeland and beef from the US (we will) and we wont give Iceland and Spain access to our waters (we all know how pishy wee Iceland out gunned and out maneuvered us during the last cod wars of our NW coast, cant see them not doing it all over again...).

• Upvote 1

The DUP situation is interesting. The common consensus was always that an independent Scotland would happen before a United Ireland, but now I'm not so sure. Look at the electoral map of Ireland - no words needed. Demographics also tell their own story (Protestants in NI outnumbered by Catholics in every under 40 age group - and in 4 of the 6 counties overall, as well as Belfast). That said, there is still some pain to come yet before the UK in its present form implodes. If people thought a Tory/UKIP coalition would be bad news, they've seen nothing yet - the DUP are to the right of UKIP, uber-Huns and absolutely bat-shit crazy on many issues.

Will this push Scotland either direction? Hard to say. I do however have my doubts that Corbyn will win over the middle Englanders he needs to be PM and, like the Butch Davidson Nae Surrender Party, may have hit his ceiling (seriously, how much higher can she go with her one-trick pony nonsense?)

I'm pro-indy, as I've made clear on here, but I'm also against the EU and have been equally vocal in my criticism of the SNP. I call it as I see it and last week was a near disaster, waiting to happen. Many decry Jim Sillars as an old fool, but for my money his latest article on Commonspace hits the nail on the head - Sturgeon massively overplayed her hand with the EU result and the impact (or rather, lack thereof) it would have on the constitutional question.

A few thoughts I'll put out there:

• Not only have Sturgeon/Murrell refused to acknowledge that around 35-40% of independence supporters want OUT of the EU, they have spent the last 3 years behaving like rock stars, touring the arenas to adoring masses, yet never subjecting the 2014 referendum case to any public scrutiny.

• Given the membership surge from 24000 in 2014 to over 120000, why do they still insist on a top-down authoritarian approach, with limited membership engagement? If the last campaign taught them anything, it's that the campaign for independence is a very broad church

• Further to the lack of scrutiny surely they must have seen the Tory resurgence in Grampian and Perthshire coming, given they both returned convincing NO votes in 2014? Why was no effort made, outwardly at least, to address this?

• Some suggest the SNP should drop their (some would say outdated) "independence in Europe" pitch in favour of an EFTA/EEA deal akin to Norway, Iceland and Switzerland. While that's my preferred option, why don't they just instead offer a 2nd EU referendum after independence, within the 1st parliamentary term of the proposed new state? That would allow all pro-indy voices to be heard fairly.

• I have no crystal ball, but I correctly predicted a NO vote followed by Neverendum, as well as a Cameron victory and subsequently a Leave vote. I also said there would be a rightward direction of travel, aided by DUP/UKIP influence, over the direction of the UK. I will also predict here and now that Sturgeon will not be the FM who delivers independence. I hope I am proved wrong, I really do, because having lived in a DUP stronghold I can tell you how appalling it is that these clowns now hold the balance of power.

Totally agree with everything.

I said on here when Indyref 2 was announced that she jumped the gun. She fucked up big time and should take full responsibility. Personally i think she is far to pro EU for her own good.

There was absolutely no need to to publicly call for a 2nd indy ref so soon after the 1st. She should have waited on the brexit situation to be clearer so people knew what the alternatives were.

Her constant sucking up to the EU must have pissed off manySNP supporters who voted leave (like myself). In the end i voted SNP again but it was a reluctant vote and Salmond lost anyway.

Sturgeon handed Butch Davidson the only weapon she had against the SNP in the general election and it cost the SNP big time. If Sturgeon kept quiet about indy ref 2 the SNP would probably have still lost some seats but i doubt it would've been anywhere near 21 seats.

• Upvote 1