Aberdeen V Kilmarnock

Very poor performance. I didn't have the pleasure of witnessing the hearts game, but from what I'm led to believe this was just a continuation of that.

I can see why McInnes felt that he could tinker with the team, it's Kilmarnock FFS, we would all have done it. But this chopping and changing never ever does us any good. It's one of Dek's flaws, he works better with a small squad where he has little scope for alteration.

As for yesterday i felt the reintroduction of the Iceman worked ok. He looked a different player to the one that played against Accies. This partnership needs games and if Dek has any sense he will persevere with this back four over the next two 'well games.

McLean was played in his correct position yesterday imo, and he started well. But there were far to many hollywood passes coming from him and his although he's finding his man, his team mates were wasting precious seconds bringing the ball under control as the pass was chest or groin height. Wasn't his best day wasn't his worst.

He was ably supported by Shinnie, but it's nae quite happening for him either at the moment.

Stewart thus far is a massive disappointment. There is a player in there, we've all seen it when he was at Dundee, but i tnink we're seeing why he failed at Birmingham. His work rate is poor and he offers us no width. Missing McGinn out wide massively. Christie is not the answer either.

Wright, full of promise but he had a poor day yesterday. Too easily brushed off of the ball and failed continuously to beat the fullback. For me, GMS needs a run in the team at left wing to play himself into the position. This chopping and changing as previously mentioned isn't doing him any good.

Maynard. Like Natalie Imbruglia, I'm torn.

There is obviously a player of talent in there. He's been punted around for millions in the bampot playground that is the english leagues, but it's nae happening for him either. He's getting little involvement or service from the team, but when he does he does little with it. He's not going to cut it here. He'll fuck off back to englandshire with 3 goals maximum to his name at the end of the season.

Christie came on and showed why he should start EVERY game. There is time to bench him when we play celtic, aside from that he should start EVERY game, and in behind the striker is where he does his best work.

Massively disappointing game for me. Goes down as 2 points dropped, and it being at home makes it worse.

All this guff about being undefeated is just bollocks. We should be winning our home games against the dross like Killie.

Mich work to be done and Dek needs to screw the nut and stop fucking about.

• Upvote 2

We must be decisive now surely and give our most dependable players a consistent run as part of a settled eleven.

Lewis

Logan Arnason Considine Shinnie

O'Connor

Christie Tansey Mclean GMS

May

If you play a defensive midfielder (AOC or Ball) in front the centre backs you allow the full backs license to support our wide players. Allow May to run the channels, Mclean to support with late runs. Christie can drift inside with Logan overlapping. Shinnie can revert to being a full back.

How Scott Wright lasted until the 84th minute today is a mystery to me.

Indeed. Fairly poor effort yesterday.

Poor again. Everything too slow and deliberate. All a bit predictable. Christie should be starting.

This is the second biggest of McInnes' fuck ups behind giving Maynard a start.

Possibly first equal.

Has the same team appeared twice this season?

I don't know, but McInnes, form a fairly critical standpoint, could be blamed for fucking up last season's leagu campaign with his tinkering amd trying to fit the likes of Burns, Stockley, Maddison into the team when they were not good enough to be there.

We only kicked on once these guys were binned and we reverted to a solid shape and one which did not change every fucking week.

Red TV telling me yesterday I was in the UK.

Binned. Fucking atrocious service.

RedTV cunts are useless.

They are more interested in jumping through hoops trying to deny you access due to your location rather than delivering a competent service.

If you play a defensive midfielder (AOC or Ball) in front the centre backs you allow the full backs license to support our wide players. Allow May to run the channels, Mclean to support with late runs. Christie can drift inside with Logan overlapping. Shinnie can revert to being a full back.

No you cannot. Shinnie is a CM. Get over it.

• Upvote 2

Not a bad selection, but with one teeny criticism. Kari and Considine would never work as the centre back pairing as neither of them have any pace. Even the Scottish premiership cairthorses like Chris Boyd would leave them for dead. No, I would keep the pairing of Arnason and O'Connor.

Shinnie to LB (harsh on Consi as when the midfield goes to ratshit he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing) then a more conventional 4 with Stewart (hopes) Tansey and Maclean alongside Christie in front of Ball?

May up top.

Certainly when we got overran in midfield Maynard wasn't the answer.

Q for the Y. What happened on the Merkland byline with (think) GMS right at the end? Big shout for something.

someone jumped into GMS when ball was away but no penalty.thing is against decent opposition or fast wide player considine exposed cos no Hayes to help him but don't think now moving Shinnie would help no holding tackling midfield player to protect centre backs.

Nice to get to a game yesterday, but picked a very bad week... :(

No excuses really, great conditions and the surface looks fantastic! Some shocking individual performances, but McInnes has to wear a lot of that... the wrong selection and disappointing that we sat back after taking the lead. McInnes should be driving the players on, to kill the game off, against such a weak opponent.

We looked so predictable yesterday, yet McInnes was unable to change the system/tactics. After the early substitution, McCulloch managed to stifle us and really he's got one over on McInnes - who wasn't able to provide an answer. Having said that, players were struggling to string together a few passes. Greer was stepping up, snuffing out everything through middle, while our wingers made absolutely no impact.

The back 5 wouldn't have had an easier afternoon all year, so can't really comment on them. McInnes should have been pushing the full backs further forward, to assist the wingers, who were getting nothing all afternoon.

Wright: Doesn't look like he believes in himself. Very timid yesterday.So easy to defend against. He's a much better player than he realises - needs to be a bit braver and more direct.

Shinnie: High energy as usual, but sometimes I think his enthusiasm causes him to get dragged out of position. There were some big holes in the midfield, second half.

McLean: The way McInnes plays, everything goes through McLean. Not a bad shout, as he's great ability and is an outstanding technician - the best at Aberdeen by an absolute mile. However, he is badly out of form right now. Poor decision making - picking the wrong balls and then passes going astray in the second half. Plenty of folk calling for him to be be benched - but I'm probably with McInnes here. Keep persisting with him, because we've all seen what happens when he clicks into gear.

Stewart: Oh dear. Absolutely woeful. We've all seen how good Stewart is - an absolute joy to watch a Dundee. Carving defenses apart! Backed in up with goals and assists - was always among the SPL leaders at Dundee. Ability cannot be questioned - so what's going wrong? Looks overweight to me - his backside is massive. Do we need to shoe-horn him in the team every week and get him sharper/fitter? Or maybe Dundee is his level? Maybe needs a team where he is the focal point? He wouldn get that at Birmingham and won't get it here, at Aberdeen...

Maynard: See Stewart. Absolutely shocking performance. Didn't know much about him prior to Aberdeen, but by all accounts career has nose-dived since sustaining a serious injury. When you've witnessed his offerings this season, you have to wonder - is he finished? Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the English non-league next season.

May: Looked really sharp. Attitude and work rate was outstanding. Was worried after we signed him - in case he'd lost something following his injury, but think he'll get better with more games. Only negative, not sure he's the man to lead the line by himself. Movement was terrific, but felt like we were missing something through the middle, when he was working the channels, dropping deep to pick up with ball, etc... Think he'd be unplayable if paired with someone who could hold-up the ball.

Kilmarnock: All the newspaper reports are raving about Jones - but I didn't think he was anything special. I thought the boy Frizzell looked more dangerous in the second half. Unpopular opinion on here, but Gordon Greer was MOTM by a country mile. Read the game all afternoon (admittedly due to our lack of dimension, this was pretty easy) and didn't set a foot out of place.

We have a lot of talented individuals in our squad these days, but this season we haven't really played as a fluid team. Fingers crossed that things will come together at some point - but if we continue to drop points like this, we're going to gift the Huns second place.

No excuses really, great conditions and the surface looks fantastic! Some shocking individual performances, but McInnes has to wear a lot of that... the wrong selection and disappointing that we sat back after taking the lead. McInnes should be driving the players on, to kill the game off, against such a weak opponent.

We looked so predictable yesterday, yet McInnes was unable to change the system/tactics. After the early substitution, McCulloch managed to stifle us and really he's got one over on McInnes - who wasn't able to provide an answer. Having said that, players were struggling to string together a few passes. Greer was stepping up, snuffing out everything through middle, while our wingers made absolutely no impact.

The back 5 wouldn't have had an easier afternoon all year, so can't really comment on them. McInnes should have been pushing the full backs further forward, to assist the wingers, who were getting nothing all afternoon.

Wright: Doesn't look like he believes in himself. Very timid yesterday.So easy to defend against. He's a much better player than he realises - needs to be a bit braver and more direct.

Shinnie: High energy as usual, but sometimes I think his enthusiasm causes him to get dragged out of position. There were some big holes in the midfield, second half.

McLean: The way McInnes plays, everything goes through McLean. Not a bad shout, as he's great ability and is an outstanding technician - the best at Aberdeen by an absolute mile. However, he is badly out of form right now. Poor decision making - picking the wrong balls and then passes going astray in the second half. Plenty of folk calling for him to be be benched - but I'm probably with McInnes here. Keep persisting with him, because we've all seen what happens when he clicks into gear.

Stewart: Oh dear. Absolutely woeful. We've all seen how good Stewart is - an absolute joy to watch a Dundee. Carving defenses apart! Backed in up with goals and assists - was always among the SPL leaders at Dundee. Ability cannot be questioned - so what's going wrong? Looks overweight to me - his backside is massive. Do we need to shoe-horn him in the team every week and get him sharper/fitter? Or maybe Dundee is his level? Maybe needs a team where he is the focal point? He wouldn get that at Birmingham and won't get it here, at Aberdeen...

Maynard: See Stewart. Absolutely shocking performance. Didn't know much about him prior to Aberdeen, but but all accounts career has nose-dived since sustaining a serious injury. When you've witnessed his offerings this season, you have wonder - is he finished? Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the English non-league next season.

May: Looked really sharp. Attitude and work rate was outstanding. Was worried after we signed him - in case he'd lost something following his injury, but think he'll get better with more games. Only negative, not sure he's the man the lead the line by himself. Movement was terrific, but felt like we were missing something through the middle, when he was working the channels, dropping deep to pick up with ball, etc... Think he'd be unplayable if paired with someone who could hold-up the ball.

Kilmarnock: All the newspaper reports are raving about Jones - but I didn't think he was anything special. I thought the boy Frizzell looked more dangerous in the second half. Unpopular opinion on here, but Gordon Greer was MOTM by a country mile. Read the game all afternoon (admittedly due to our lack of dimension, this was pretty easy) and didn't set a foot out of place.

We have a lot of talented individuals in our squad these days, but this season we haven't really played as a fluid team. Fingers crossed that things will come together at some point - but if we continue to drop points like this, we're going to gift the Huns second place.

Good post, agree with just about all of that

Disagree about Greer although in fairness low down in the RDS so 2nd half was a bit distant (not as fucking distant as I'd have liked mind). Reminded me of Devlin, Taylor and so many others. Yes they're entirely comfortable if you continue to do what THEY want for 90 minutes. Haven't seen him yet but suspect Alaves will be the same. Get the ball on the deck and run at the cunt. Immediate difference once Christie came on and did exactly that. GMS the same but for some reason he always wants to pick the ball up very very deep and then take on half the team.

We didn't look as if we had a hope in hell of scoring from about 25 mins onwards.

Logan got pished on by Jordan Jones, as I suspected might happen given how out of form he is. Aside from not being able to live with him, his contributions whilst on the ball were nothing short of pathetic.

AoC and Arnason are worth keeping together. I think we have found our centre back pairing, but most people surely would've understood this was what should happen when Arnason was fit again. I enjoy that AoC wants to play it about on the deck at all times but sometimes it leads to him playing his way into trouble or taking too long on the ball, only for the sake of passing it sideways. Encouraging that we now have at least have centre halves who want to at least try and be good footballers.

Considine was generally fine but his lack of pace is frightening. At one point near the end when he was chasing after a loose ball to clear in his own box, it seemed like someone was pulling him back with a rope. His galloping running style is quite difficult to watch but worryingly, he still seems faster than AoC.

McLean, well at least we understand that he cares. On his day he is magic and technically the best footballer we actually own given Christie is a loan, but I think he could do with being dropped the exact moment he signs this new contract.

Shinnie. The usual from him. People will no doubt disagree but his playing style will always see him given pass marks for getting wired in, but he can be rather sloppy at times, probably because everything is at 100 miles an hour. In games against cannon fodder, I think he could be done with getting his foot on the ball and driving forward with it or equally taking his time with his passing, slowing everything he does down and allowing some of his class to show.

Greg Stewart is a true porkboy. No way should he be starting games for Aberdeen. He is nowhere near fit and if he is, then he isn't going to cut it at Aberdeen regardless of his undoubted quality on the ball. He is a winger who cannot and will not run, therefore he will more often than not get caught in possession. Clearly a good fitba player but doesn't look like it'll work out for him and I have no idea how you'd get the best from him, hopefully Deek does.

Would love to see Wright signed up to a longer contract as he is going to be a really classy player. He needs to toughen up and get a bit more strength behind him, but I think he needs to be playing every game provided he is fit and regardless of form. Very much looks like a confidence player, but when he gets a run of good games under his belt, most full backs will hate playing against him.

First game Maynard and May have been played together. Don't see what Maynard did wrong, received precisely zero service and can't recall him having a "bad" game, as such. Would like to see this pair given a run, think they could compliment one another brilliantly eventually. Admittedly, he probably wouldn't score that often, but it'd not matter if May was finding the net and Maynard was servicing.

May has even better feet than I previously thought. Hard shot, can score from tight angles, constantly looking for through balls that never arrived to him. I'd be encouraged if I seen him shooting from outside the box more often as he is more than capable and there is always the potential for a rebound given the power he shoots with.

Also do not understand the criticism of GMS who, when he came on, should've been given the ball as often as possible as he was the ONLY person in the side who looked likely to create anything. He did absolutely nothing wrong.

Christie not starting was bizarre and nothing more needs to be said.

Rooney is rightfully no longer a starter.

Killie are pish and will remain pish. Jordan Jones is their only player of note and that could've been identified prior to the match.

We are two points off Celtic and unbeaten. Nothing to worry about, my bedsheets may be polkadot, but they remain resolutely unsoiled.

On to Motherwell.

I'd like to see the pair of them given time to play together and work up a partnership was the jist of what I was saying. I reckon Maynard probably won't score that much but it wouldn't matter if May was and Maynard was playing well. I can't really recall him playing poorly, it just hasn't been coming off for him. He hasn't had any service and looks like he needs to play in a two upfront to be of any use to us. I believe we should be playing with two upfront anyway..

Agreed, KSL' post was spot on about the game. Logan's worst game for us imo too. That Jones for Killie had him on toast for most of the match

Big improvement required for the team

Agreed, KSL' post was spot on about the game. Logan's worst game for us imo too. That Jones for Killie had him on toast for most of the match

Big improvement required for the team

I was impressed with Jones..a loon from the lower English Leagues..so there are good players down there, just few and far between.

McLean went mental at Stewart after the equaliser. Them and logan were having a heated exchange for 30 seconds shouting and pointing about positioning. Stewart is a lazy bastard tracking back, he'll follow his man back for a bit then he just stops and leaves Logan with 2 people to mark. When one of them, Jones, was direct and running at him he's in for a tough afternoon. Jones was the best wide player on the park yesterday, liked him a lot.

Arnason won every defensive header going and apart from one stupid moment giving away possession in the box was solid. Same pairing for the next month ay least please.

First match at Pittodrie for a while, atmosphere was non existent. 8 year old boy spent the whole 90 mins talking nonsense while the person next to him kept talking about the Brentford and Newcastle scores. Should be better on Thursday hope the team turns up.

• Upvote 1

With 5 minutes to go GMS put in a superb cross after beating his man and there was one player in the box. McLean should be busting a gut to get in the box from that situations, it's one of the reasons his goal tally is so low since he signed.

Considine isn't brave enough with his passing. Watch him, he passes to two players, his left winger or centre back and then doesn't make a move after. Passing the buck to someone else. About 10 times he plays a pass to GMS while he's under pressure and we end up losing the ball.

We look a lot better when Tansey plays I'd say. He's got the best dead ball delivery in the squad also.

Maynard: See Stewart. Absolutely shocking performance. Didn't know much about him prior to Aberdeen, but but all accounts career has nose-dived since sustaining a serious injury. When you've witnessed his offerings this season, you have wonder - is he finished? Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the English non-league next season.

May: Looked really sharp. Attitude and work rate was outstanding. Was worried after we signed him - in case he'd lost something following his injury, but think he'll get better with more games. Only negative, not sure he's the man the lead the line by himself. Movement was terrific, but felt like we were missing something through the middle, when he was working the channels, dropping deep to pick up with ball, etc... Think he'd be unplayable if paired with someone who could hold-up the ball.

Why did you capitalise huns?

With 5 minutes to go GMS put in a superb cross after beating his man and there was one player in the box. McLean should be busting a gut to get in the box from that situations, it's one of the reasons his goal tally is so low since he signed.

Considine isn't brave enough with his passing. Watch him, he passes to two players, his left winger or centre back and then doesn't make a move after. Passing the buck to someone else. About 10 times he plays a pass to GMS while he's under pressure and we end up losing the ball.

We look a lot better when Tansey plays I'd say. He's got the best dead ball delivery in the squad also.

Agree about Mclean. He should be encouraged to focus on making late runs into the box and supporting attacks generally, rather than dropping deeper all the time as a playmaker. We should play with a holding midfielder whether it be ball, O'Connor or Tansey. Any one of those can pass a ball and if Shinnie were deployed at full back we would have enough players in the deeper areas on the pitch that are good on the ball.

We need to consider our play-making in trying to restore balance to the team. For me, Shinnie and GMS would be a good combination on the left and we know Logan is capable going forward. Play a holding-mid and natural full backs and we regain our width and steady our defence, giving a solid foundation to the team.

COYR