Spfl Referees Are Shite Thread

I'm just surprised that there appears to be no refs who are not professionals in their daily lives.

There must be at least one blue collar worker who is a shit hot ref?

Here is the reason then.

I was an amateur level ref many moons ago with good reports from assessors, highly recommended by Alan Ferguson. Then I go to the ref training nights at Jordanhill where they did all their fitness work. I get welcomed and in the course of the running and stuff I'm asked what I do for a living. I was a hospital porter. Without word of a lie they barely spoke to me from there on. "Career" went no further. Spoke to many other amateur refs and heard the same tale repeatedly. If you ain't one of them - ie. professional career outside of refereeing - then they don't want to know, not interested. That is why you will NEVER see a porter, labourer, shelfstacker, binman etc reffing games at the top level in Scotland. Shame really because these are the guys who are more likely to be focused on the refereeing than their shitty other job.

• Upvote 4

Here is the reason then.

I was an amateur level ref many moons ago with good reports from assessors, highly recommended by Alan Ferguson. Then I go to the ref training nights at Jordanhill where they did all their fitness work. I get welcomed and in the course of the running and stuff I'm asked what I do for a living. I was a hospital porter. Without word of a lie they barely spoke to me from there on. "Career" went no further. Spoke to many other amateur refs and heard the same tale repeatedly. If you ain't one of them - ie. professional career outside of refereeing - then they don't want to know, not interested. That is why you will NEVER see a porter, labourer, shelfstacker, binman etc reffing games at the top level in Scotland. Shame really because these are the guys who are more likely to be focused on the refereeing than their shitty other job.

Lol

Based on ABSOLUTELY nothing

@millertime

Here you go, my opinion is now backed up with a posters personal experience.

I notice you haven't given answers

The point is that Scotland is a small country population wise, then you start to decrease at all levels those willing to take part.

You end up with a small and shallow pool to pick from.

Furthermore, in this day and age of social media and internet bampoterry the toll being a ref in Scotland must put on your life.

Fuck that.

Answers? Werent they rhetorical questions?

Here you go though

No

Im too old to start working my way up as a ref

How does that help your argument?

Here is the reason then.

Does not surprise me at all. Exactly the sort of shite attitude I expect from people involved in our game tbh.

This is exactly what holds us back.

Does not surprise me at all. Exactly the sort of shite attitude I expect from people involved in our game tbh.

This is exactly what holds us back.

Their theory, which has been spoken about publicly in the past by our "top" referees, is that those in management level positions in their daily life are used to taking high pressure decisions and are therefore best placed to advance to the pro leagues.

Their theory, which has been spoken about publicly in the past by our "top" referees, is that those in management level positions in their daily life are used to taking high pressure decisions and are therefore best placed to advance to the pro leagues.

Be interested to know if this is a Scottish issue or something in the ref fraternity as a whole.