Spfl Referees Are Shite Thread

Yep I agree however still doesn't get away from the fact the likes of tiktak might be 10 x the ref than Colum etc. is however we'll never know as the referee fraternity is a closed shop.

So genuinely, young lad(or lass) cos you need to start the process early to get to the top level, comes to you as workshop manager and asks to get time off to do some refereeing. A) How would you have dealt with and B) How do you think, in your experience, that would be received with the other people within the workplace?

Thanks.

video technology (VAR) would never be allowed in Scotland as the old firm would lose to much points

Unless its old firm and SFA guys on the video

Ive always been sceptical about that. Arse cheek teams tend to spend more time in the opposition box ergo more penalty shouts, last man claims etc. On balance I think theyd benefit simply as they have better players to draw fouls etc.

Where theyd suffer is if they brought it in using existing tv coverage since, as Tup occasionally mentions they are on every other week so more scrutiny.

• Downvote 2

Yep I agree however still doesn't get away from the fact the likes of tiktak might be 10 x the ref than Colum etc. is however we'll never know as the referee fraternity is a closed shop.

Next door's dog would be 10x the referee Collum is.

So genuinely, young lad(or lass) cos you need to start the process early to get to the top level, comes to you as workshop manager and asks to get time off to do some refereeing. A) How would you have dealt with and B) How do you think, in your experience, that would be received with the other people within the workplace?

Thanks.

That is one genuine point that might be a problem for some. Had I gone to my gaffer at the time and said I'll not be in tomorrow as I'm in Dundee doing a game I'd have been told "are you fuck". Comes down to choice then. Give up the dream or the job. No brainer for me, could always have got another job to fit the schedule.

There is another genuine point to make regarding employment. If you are working in Asda or are maybe a taxi driver for instance, that fact will be well known locally and there are plenty of nutballs who would potentially come looking for you if their team had got a shit decision costing them a game you were reffing. So I can see that it may cause issues.

Ive always been sceptical about that. Arse cheek teams tend to spend more time in the opposition box ergo more penalty shouts, last man claims etc. On balance I think theyd benefit simply as they have better players to draw fouls etc.

Where theyd suffer is if they brought it in using existing tv coverage since, as Tup occasionally mentions they are on every other week so more scrutiny.

That has no impact on the match. Games done by then.

Needs to have instant review by 4th official. Its working perfectly in the leagues abroad at the moment. Has to happen.

Next door's dog would be 10x the referee Collum is.

That is one genuine point that might be a problem for some. Had I gone to my gaffer at the time and said I'll not be in tomorrow as I'm in Dundee doing a game I'd have been told "are you fuck". Comes down to choice then. Give up the dream or the job. No brainer for me, could always have got another job to fit the schedule.

There is another genuine point to make regarding employment. If you are working in Asda or are maybe a taxi driver for instance, that fact will be well known locally and there are plenty of nutballs who would potentially come looking for you if their team had got a shit decision costing them a game you were reffing. So I can see that it may cause issues.

I do think the job thing - finances, time, bosses and co-worker attitudes are a stumbling block.

With social media it's easier to get the nutters pointed in the direction...which is shit really.

Its the basics you notice being handled badly by all Scottish refs, for example time wasting should be an easy fix but as the last two games have shown the ref just ignore it the amount of times you see a Scottish ref turn his back on goal kicks is beyond belief, very rarely do they book keepers for time wasting, the lack of protection for talented players is Scotland is very worrying and has been for a while, also basics like throw ins and the guessing that goes on with them is embarrassing and the pure lack of help the refs get from linesman compared to other leagues doesn't help

'

Thanks.

@@mcdougall(4)

Apologies for the delay in responding, I'm just back online.

I'd assume I'd treat them like all the youngsters that play football or rugby as they'd start at amatuers/juniors.

Once they start advancing they would be managed accordingly as they progressed i.e. flexi time for relatively local games, holidays or unpaid time off etc.if they are going to be away for any length of time.

In regards to the other members of staff, I'm not sure as I've never faced that problem but you'd need to deal with it as it comes along.

I think that budding refs would face the same problems as players and there are lots of blue collar workers that play in the Highland/Senior leagues who manage a job and football.

I've also never worked directly with any players that have played beyond local leagues so this is a bit hypothetical for me.

'

@@mcdougall(4)

Apologies for the delay in responding, I'm just back online.

I'd assume I'd treat them like all the youngsters that play football or rugby as they'd start at amatuers/juniors.

Once they start advancing they would be managed accordingly as they progressed i.e. flexi time for relatively local games, holidays or unpaid time off etc.if they are going to be away for any length of time.

In regards to the other members of staff, I'm not sure as I've never faced that problem but you'd need to deal with it as it comes along.

I think that budding refs would face the same problems as players and there are lots of blue collar workers that play in the Highland/Senior leagues who manage a job and football.

I've also never worked directly with any players that have played beyond local leagues so this is a bit hypothetical for me.

Thanks for the response

Interesting, although highly hypothetical, I hadn't considered the issue of refereeing 'work mates', which is another wrinkle.

• 3 weeks later...

Have any referees from Aberdeen referee'd our games?

Mike Pocock?

Alan Freeland?

Fuck knows who else there is...

Did Freeland not do the game at Dens when we were 2-0 down in the first half and he was awful, didn't give Aberdeen a thing. Second half, he went the other way and gave everything to the Dons, including a late penalty?

Did Freeland not do the game at Dens when we were 2-0 down in the first half and he was awful, didn't give Aberdeen a thing. Second half, he went the other way and gave everything to the Dons, including a late penalty?

Canna say I remember that mate. I remember he was a shite ref tho