Scotland V Peru & Mexico

"Pulling me up" - like some kind of blog police? Cool.

I don't need to read what I wrote, it's not really that complicated.

The answer is: both. (Life's not black and white like a chat forum)

I'd have given Archer the benefit of the doubt but having watched it his performance was so bad I don't think we can afford to have him back in too soon. Maybe in time.

But he might be one of these players who needs 10-15 games! It's not black and white after all

McKenna walked straight into it and was great. He's something of an exception though and many players do have a settling in period when stepping up a level.

Why do you think so much was made of Peru having 500 caps between the starting line up and our team only having 50ish? Is it because all our players can just play international football quality football on their debut or is it because experience is important at international level?

My problem with Scotland is we wait too long to give players a chance and too often start handing caps out to players when they are 28/29 - instead of trying them out/bedding them in when they are 24/25.

A 28/29 will likely only feature for 1 or 2 campaigns at most.

Get the right players in earlier, help them develop international players and then you might have someone who can be part of 3 or 4 campaigns instead. That's how you get a team with 500+ caps on the park.

One of the most obvious things to take away from the Peru game was the understanding their players had on the field.

I'd mentioned that our players were looking for the obvious pass, while the Paddingtons were looking for clever passes that changed the direction of play or otherwise wrong footed our players. That comes with the experience of regularly playing with a group of players. Our guys looked more like 11 strangers who hadn't played as a team before, which is largely true, while theirs had an understanding of the system they were playing and the position/movement of their team mates.

Even if that weren't the case, though, the Peruvians were far more comfortable on the ball even on just an individual basis.

They just had far better players than Scotland.

Agreed Kelt.

This is why I want to see a strategy where we get the best players into the full team and squad younger than currently.

I'm so fed up watching is give the first cap to a guy at 28 or 29 when that players been playing at a good level for years before.

Means they ultimately have shortened in international careers and building a team long term just can't happen.

Paterson was always suspect at defending but a powerhouse going forward.

He's far more suited further forward.

(Very) Poor man's Bale I suppose.

Great physical attributes and a talented football player so can play in a few positions.

I'd actually love to see him at right back if he can sort out his positional play. We really need someone there and good attacking full backs on both sides of the pitch would be great.

Did he not start out as a striker?

Not sure but I remember he did certainly fill in there a few times for Hearts.

(Very) Poor man's Bale I suppose.

Great physical attributes and a talented football player so can play in a few positions.

I'd actually love to see him at right back if he can sort out his positional play. We really need someone there and good attacking full backs on both sides of the pitch would be great.

But he really is poor at defending. Even worse than Logan. He is really strong going forward though & in & around the opposition box.

Not sure but I remember he did certainly fill in there a few times for Hearts. But he really is poor at defending. Even worse than Logan. He is really strong going forward though & in & around the opposition box.

With his height, strength you'd think he could be taught that position but I guess it's an academic debate as we probably need him to learn that at club level - which ain't happening.

Just think though - 2 powerful attacking full backs would allow a totally different type of midfielder in front of them. Wouldn't need true winger types but guys who can work up and down and rely on the full backs to overlap

Too often our national managers are safety first, short term.

Which will come from worrying about job security.

The SFA has to take the lead and instead of at the beginning of each campaign expecting to qualify for the tournament, they should employ a manager looking to build a team ready to qualify for a future tournament, not necessarily the next tournament. By now it should have reached a point where in one campaign it was decided to pro-actively pick squads all under say 26 (perhaps a couple of seasoned pros in there) and the aim would be to stick with the core group of those players through a few campaigns. Instead we throw everything at qualifying for the next tournament, failing in 10 straight campaigns. There is no methodology to squad composition. It just seems to be pick usual suspects and "complement" with whoever seems to be doing well in lower level English football (quite often English folk).

Will never happen though as the SFA are too short sighted, and still seem to live in a world where they think we have international relevance.

Which will come from worrying about job security.

The SFA has to take the lead and instead of at the beginning of each campaign expecting to qualify for the tournament, they should employ a manager looking to build a team ready to qualify for a future tournament, not necessarily the next tournament. By now it should have reached a point where in one campaign it was decided to pro-actively pick squads all under say 26 (perhaps a couple of seasoned pros in there) and the aim would be to stick with the core group of those players through a few campaigns. Instead we throw everything at qualifying for the next tournament, failing in 10 straight campaigns. There is no methodology to squad composition. It just seems to be pick usual suspects and "complement" with whoever seems to be doing well in lower level English football (quite often English folk).

Will never happen though as the SFA are too short sighted, and still seem to live in a world where they think we have international relevance.

Yep give coaches a 2 or 3 campaign cycle and ask them to develop for the future.

Guest milne_afc

More interested in finding out who Pat Phealan shot than Scotland just now.

Nicola got shot when Phelan showed up at Eileen's. He carried her to Michelle's wedding to find a doctor, obvs, then took Michelle hostage when he heard sirens outside. Michelle got shot then Anna Windass plunged a 12 inch blade into Phelan's chest.

Nicola got shot when Phelan showed up at Eileen's. He carried her to Michelle's wedding to find a doctor, obvs, then took Michelle hostage when he heard sirens outside. Michelle got shot then Anna Windass plunged a 12 inch blade into Phelan's chest.

Thanks. Good thinking from big Pat given Michelles son is a Dr. Shame about the knife, hope he's ok.

Guest milne_afc

He pulled the knife out after the Doc told him it was keeping him alive, so Anna would get done for murder.

Probably the greatest half hour of UK telly that's ever been broadcast.

Guest milne_afc

The last week of Corrie, as others have mentioned, was absolutely brilliant. Easily could have made a blockbuster feature film out it. The acting, soundtrack and storyline was top class. Shame Phelan died because that was a fantastic character. Him walking down the cobbled streets of Weatherfield with a loaded pistol while atmosphere by JD played was some of the best telly, including all the new fangled Netflix stuff, I've ever laid eyes on.