Graeme Shinnie.....

13 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

Dare I say it not his best game caught out a few times and tired understandably, 

pin my opinion should have been subbed by Barron in second half 

The concern for me is that, at times in the first half he looked tired which is a big worry given we're just back from a break, maybe carrying an injury? 

Just now, Tord31 said:

He could have been subbed at 80 mins or whenever it was we made our last sub but it would have been a big call.

Correct. 

Finishing the game with a midfield 3 of Clarkson, Barron and Polvara would have been a big shout. 

We need another experienced hardworking midfielder to help out. Maybe we should have replaced the one we sold in the summer at the end of pre season training. 

18 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He could have been subbed at 80 mins or whenever it was we made our last sub but it would have been a big call.

There is a shout to leave him on the bench on Thursday. 

Barron and Polvara should come in anyway

Not really sure that you could say it was a big call. He was a complete passenger and everyone could see it. If you are playing defensively with 4 in midfield Infront of 5 defenders i don't see how it's a big call to swap out one of the completely ineffectual midfielders. Barron for Shinnie was totally obvious in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Correct. 

Finishing the game with a midfield 3 of Clarkson, Barron and Polvara would have been a big shout. 

We need another experienced hardworking midfielder to help out. Maybe we should have replaced the one we sold in the summer at the end of pre season training. 

Is McGrath not a midfielder? 🤣 We would have finished with 4 midfielders and Duk Infront of them had the correct change been made

7 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Not really sure that you could say it was a big call. He was a complete passenger and everyone could see it. If you are playing defensively with 4 in midfield Infront of 5 defenders i don't see how it's a big call to swap out one of the completely ineffectual midfielders. Barron for Shinnie was totally obvious in my opinion.

It was brave in that if we'd lost (like huns last season and paok this season) folk would point to the lack of leadership being more important than fresh legs

1 hour ago, Willo flood said:

Terrible today, struggles to play once a week let alone 2/3 times. Can’t believe he got a 3 year deal.

Great player on his day but an alternative is needed in January 

Not terrible he is fully committed that's for sure.

Hurts me to say he was to slow today and is brushed off ball to easily 

He first touch today very poor rarely controlled the ball and always a pace behind 

To honest needs to be replaced in the summer with a new Shinnie type player

Will always have my total respect but it's clear his better playing days are behind him

1 minute ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

He first touch today very poor rarely controlled the ball and always a pace behind 

Will always have my total respect but it's clear his better playing days are behind him

Not terrible? I think you've just defined terrible, in the sense of a midfielder that needs the exact opposite of how you have labelled him, in a very important game.

4 minutes ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

This is true and also let’s be honest, he was surrounded by much better players last time too. 

im still glad to have him back cause I’m not sure who the alternatives would be, but he was never going to be as effective. 

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

People saying he was “off the boil” today; how often has he actually been “on it”, since his January return?

His stamina levels have definitely declined, although the Ramadani sized hole we inexplicably didn’t fill, has not helped.

Technically, he’s never been great, so that’s not changed. 

His strength was always based on heart, desire, drive & stamina 
The heart & desire is still there, but he undoubtedly has lost stamina & his “legs are going”, think that’s pretty obvious. 

6 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Ok

But answer my question. How many good games has he had in the 35 odd games since his return? 5, tops?

Had his best games alongside Ramadani imo. Funnily enough Ramadani had his best games alongside Shinnie. 

I think our style asks a lot of our midfielders physically and we're not blessed with athletes in midfield. 

• Upvote 1

Having Shinnie running about like a mad man is not what Shinnie's game should be about now. Needs to know his limitations and be more disciplined. Would him sitting deep and being the midfielder cutting the ball out, spoiling things, passing to those who cam create, not be a better use of him?

I suppose its all about tactics and the manager knowing best combinations and hiw to get the best out of the players at his disposal.